No data received from sensor

I have put together a motion sensor with a camera on a PiZero. I got it working fine for a the first few days, then it just stopped working. I then ordered a new motion sensor, but the problem still remains.

I ran this raspstill -k to check the sensor and camera were working, but they are not, and told to check the camera cable.

I have un plugged the camera cable at both ends, then re seated them, and made sure they were fully in the socket before I pushed back the clip. There is no change at all, so what else could it be. I have unplugged the jumper wires from the PiZero, and reconnected them, but still no change

Reply to
RobH

FWIW - some time back on one of my rpi2B's, the camera stopped working. I later realized that it happened after an 'rpi-update', which I used to do regularly. I downloaded a new raspbian image and put it on another sd card - presto, the camera worked again.

Suggest you do a clean install to a new card and see if that solves it.

Reply to
ray carter

Nope, a clean install did not solve the problem, but thanks for saying it

Reply to
RobH

Check one thing at a time. Do a raspistill without the -k to check if the camera is working, then check if the sensor. You may want to give some sort of information on how the sensor is set up, I assume from the

-k that it generating a key press?

---druck

Reply to
druck

Thanks for the reply and I did raspistill on it's own and that returned numerous options. I tried raspistill -s, but got the same error message about check all connections.

If it means anything, the camera red led is lit, which I assume the camera is working. How can I check the sensor?

I have checked the gpio pins and they are reading what they should, ie

5v between live and ground, and 0v between motion pin and the 5v pin.

The sensor is set up by Vcc to pin 2, 5v pin on the PiZero, then the ground from the sensor is connected to Pin 6 , while the motion sensor pin is connected to BCM Pin 4 or pin 7 on the PiZero.

Thanks

Reply to
RobH

On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 13:51:28 +0100, RobH declaimed the following:

That may only reflect that you have /power/ to the board.

Uhm... 0v between "motion pin" and 5v pin means the "motion pin" is at

5v also...

BUT! RPi GPIOs are 3.3V inputs...

A 5V signal on that "motion pin" could easily result in burning out the RPi GPIO (if you are lucky, only the one GPIO will be killed)

Dennis Lee Bieber

Thanks , but, I followed the destructions from this:

Start watching from 24.22 minutes. This where he says what to wire upto which pins on the PiZero board, and the pin 2 is definitely 5v. Well that is what it says it is.

Regarding 0v between motion pin and the 5v pin, means that I just checked that, and maybe I shouldn't have done that. The video will make it more clear I hope.

Reply to
RobH

I have just tried the camera and sensor again , this time on the bench, and now I am getting: mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647 Then a bit further down it says: mmal: Camera is not detected.

So basically the camera is kaput?

It's weird how one day it was working fine then another day not at all.

Oh well , C'est la vie

Reply to
RobH

Send it to me and I'll check it on one of my Pizeros. If it works FB I'll send it back to you.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Send it to you, ok but what country are you in. Give me your address and I'll post it asap.

Reply to
RobH
[snip]

[snip]

The use of even a high impedance voltmeter between 5v and 3.3v GPIO pins worries me - maybe this has already been covered, but...

If that meter is registering 0v between 5v and a GPIO pin, then that implies /both/ leads are at 5v, so the 3.3v pin has 5v on it, all relative to 0v. Can the use of a voltmeter in this way kill an IO? My feeling is that a voltmeter should always be used from 0v to 5v or 3.3v, to avoid this issue. Maybe I'm wrong...

--
Mark J
From RISCOS 5.23 on a BeagleBoard-xM and Raspberry Pi2B

In general IIRC MOS inputs have a parasitic diode to the local rail that if it gets forward biassed will shunt snall amounts of current back into the power supply.

Large amounts of current f*ck it (and the device, often)

The Natural Philosopher

The said camera was a cheapo ebay one, and I've ordered this from Pimoroni: Camera Module for Raspberry Pi Zero - Wide Angle.

As the saying goes, you only get what you pay for.

Reply to
RobH

It could be that the 3V3 pin is just open circuit, and is not programmed as an output.

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:17:09 +0200, Mark J declaimed the following:

Both leads are /seeing/ 5V; but the VM should not be sourcing any voltage. A low impedance meter could load down the circuit (drawing power from it, giving faulty readings if the source is limited in current).

If the meter is seeing a 0V differential between 5V source and GPIO, something else connected to the GPIO must be providing it (I've presumed the camera module has been connected during these tests, and since it is also powered from the 5V my concern is that the module output(s) swing between 0V and 5V).

Dennis Lee Bieber

You should only ever measure between 0V and a GPIO pin, not any of the power pins, and particularly not 5V.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Really?

When my meter leads are unconnected the meter registers 0V. Does that imply both leads are also at 5V?

;-)

Reply to
mm0fmf

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 21:23:25 +0100, mm0fmf declaimed the following:

No... Only that both are at the same potential... And unless the RPi is seriously damaged, one can probably assume that the 5V pin IS at 5V, so a

0V differential means the GPIO is also at 5V.
Dennis Lee Bieber

Still not correct.

Reply to
Andreas Neumann

RPi is

... or is disconnected or has a pull-down resistor to ground.

In view of the uncertainty on what is happening, I suggest the OP posts two voltage readings:

- between ground and the 5v pin

- between ground and the GPIO pin he's monitoring

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org