No data received from sensor

I have put together a motion sensor with a camera on a PiZero. I got it
working fine for a the first few days, then it just stopped working. I
then ordered a new motion sensor, but the problem still remains.

I ran this raspstill -k to check the sensor and camera were working, but
they are not, and told to check the camera cable.

I have un plugged the camera cable at both ends, then re seated them,
and made sure they were fully in the socket before I pushed back the
clip. There is no change at all, so what else could it be.
I have unplugged the jumper wires from the PiZero, and reconnected them,
but still no change

Re: No data received from sensor

FWIW - some time back on one of my rpi2B's, the camera stopped working. I
later realized that it happened after an 'rpi-update', which I used to do
regularly. I downloaded a new raspbian image and put it on another sd
card - presto, the camera worked again.

Suggest you do a clean install to a new card and see if that solves it.

Re: No data received from sensor

Nope, a clean install did not solve the problem, but thanks for saying it

Re: No data received from sensor

Check one thing at a time. Do a raspistill without the -k to check if
the camera is working, then check if the sensor. You may want to give
some sort of information on how the sensor is set up, I assume from the
-k that it generating a key press?

---druck

Re: No data received from sensor

Thanks for the reply and I did raspistill on it's own and that returned
numerous options. I tried raspistill -s, but got the same error message
about check all connections.

If it means anything, the camera red led is lit, which I assume the
camera is working. How can I check the sensor?

I have checked the gpio pins and they are reading what they should, ie
5v between live and ground, and 0v between motion pin and the 5v pin.

The sensor is set up by Vcc to pin 2, 5v pin on the PiZero, then the
ground from the sensor is connected to Pin 6 , while the motion sensor
pin is connected to BCM Pin 4 or pin 7 on the PiZero.

Thanks

Re: No data received from sensor
following:

    That may only reflect that you have /power/ to the board.

    Uhm... 0v between "motion pin" and 5v pin means the "motion pin" is at
5v also...

    BUT! RPi GPIOs are 3.3V inputs...
http://www.mosaic-industries.com/embedded-systems/microcontroller-projects/raspberry-pi/gpio-pin-electrical-specifications#rpi-gpio-input-voltage-and-output-current-limitations

A 5V signal on that "motion pin" could easily result in burning out the RPi
GPIO (if you are lucky, only the one GPIO will be killed)
http://www.notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/rpi-gpio/

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Re: No data received from sensor

Thanks , but, I followed the destructions from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC_sEW3_694

Start watching from 24.22 minutes. This where he says what to wire upto
which pins on the PiZero board, and the pin 2 is definitely 5v. Well
that is what it says it is.

Regarding 0v between motion pin and the 5v pin, means that I just
checked that, and maybe I shouldn't have done that.
The video will make it more clear I hope.

Re: No data received from sensor

I have just tried the camera and sensor again , this time on the bench,
and now I am getting:
mmal: Cannot read camera info, keeping the defaults for OV5647
Then a bit further down it says:
mmal: Camera is not detected.

So basically the camera is kaput?

It's weird how one day it was working fine then another day not at all.

Oh well , C'est la vie

Re: No data received from sensor
Send it to me and I'll check it on one of my Pizeros. If it works FB
I'll send it back to you.

Re: No data received from sensor

Send it to you, ok but what country are you in. Give me your address and
I'll post it asap.

Re: No data received from sensor

[snip]

[snip]

The use of even a high impedance voltmeter between 5v and 3.3v GPIO pins
worries me - maybe this has already been covered, but...

If that meter is registering 0v between 5v and a GPIO pin, then that
implies /both/ leads are at 5v, so the 3.3v pin has 5v on it, all relative
to 0v. Can the use of a voltmeter in this way kill an IO? My feeling is
that a voltmeter should always be used from 0v to 5v or 3.3v, to avoid
this issue. Maybe I'm wrong...

--
Mark J
From RISCOS 5.23 on a BeagleBoard-xM and Raspberry Pi2B
In general IIRC MOS inputs have a parasitic diode to the local rail that
if it gets forward biassed will shunt snall amounts of current back into
the power supply.

Large amounts of current fuck it (and the device, often)

Re: No data received from sensor

The said camera was a cheapo ebay one, and I've ordered this from
Pimoroni: Camera Module for Raspberry Pi Zero - Wide Angle.

As the saying goes, you only get what you pay for.

Re: No data received from sensor

It could be that the 3V3 pin is just open circuit, and is not programmed
as an output.

Re: No data received from sensor
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 12:17:09 +0200, Mark J

    Both leads are /seeing/ 5V; but the VM should not be sourcing any
voltage. A low impedance meter could load down the circuit (drawing power
from it, giving faulty readings if the source is limited in current).

    If the meter is seeing a 0V differential between 5V source and GPIO,
something else connected to the GPIO must be providing it (I've presumed
the camera module has been connected during these tests, and since it is
also powered from the 5V my concern is that the module output(s) swing
between 0V and 5V).

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Re: No data received from sensor

You should only ever measure between 0V and a GPIO pin, not any of the
power pins, and particularly not 5V.

---druck

Re: No data received from sensor

Really?

When my meter leads are unconnected the meter registers 0V. Does that
imply both leads are also at 5V?

;-)

Re: No data received from sensor
following:

    No... Only that both are at the same potential... And unless the RPi is
seriously damaged, one can probably assume that the 5V pin IS at 5V, so a
0V differential means the GPIO is also at 5V.

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Re: No data received from sensor

Still not correct.

Re: No data received from sensor

RPi is

... or is disconnected or has a pull-down resistor to ground.

In view of the uncertainty on what is happening, I suggest the OP posts
two voltage readings:
- between ground and the 5v pin
- between ground and the GPIO pin he's monitoring

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Site Timeline