No audio after upgrade on 30 June

The audio seemed to be disabled after an update earlier today.
Machine is RPI3, uname -a reports

Linux raspberrypi 4.9.28-v7+ #998 SMP Mon May 15 16:55:39 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

The machine has been using audio (via HDMI) by default and no intentional
changes were made.

If I do try to change audio settings using raspi-config, a dialog reports
There was an error running option A4 Audio
and nothing changes.

The audio icon in the upper right menu bar has a red X through it.

It's tempting to think a driver went missing, but I've no clue where to
look; up to now audio has worked without so much as a thought.

Anybody got a hint?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Re: No audio after upgrade on 30 June
On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 01:05:17 +0000 (UTC),

Sounds like a kernal module isn't being loaded. I have a new Pi3, and
this is what I see:

# lsmod | grep -i snd
snd_bcm2835            24427  0
snd_pcm                98501  1 snd_bcm2835
snd_timer              23904  1 snd_pcm
snd                    70032  3 snd_timer,snd_bcm2835,snd_pcm

Same kernel, I installed the OS a week ago, and updated it this
morning. Seems to work just fine, audio wise. If the modules are

% groups
pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev
gpio i2c spi

Try running alsamixer, that may give a more verbose error message.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Re: No audio after upgrade on 30 June

Using
lsmod | grep -i snd
produces no output at all. Repeating the command without grep -i
yields up 20-odd lines, so it seems clear "snd" isn't present.

The account (not pi, by the way) _is_ in the audio group.

That produces somewhat puzzling behavior. There is no explict error,
but the only "card" option is pulseaudio. The bargraph responds to
volume commands without error, with no effect on the sound control
icon in the monitor's upper right menu bar which still sports a red X.

I tend to agree there's a kernel module missing, but am baffled at
what happened to it.

Thanks for replying, and any further thoughts!

bob prohaska

Re: No audio after upgrade on 30 June
On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 22:52:04 +0000 (UTC),

Well, now, that's a/the problem. Try this:

sudo modprob snd_bcm2835

Re: No audio after upgrade on 30 June

[thinking you meant modprobe, with an e at the end]

bob@raspberrypi:/boot $ sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835
bob@raspberrypi:/boot $

There are a bunch of bcm2835* items in /boot:
bob@raspberrypi:/boot $ ls *2835*
bcm2835-rpi-a.dtb       bcm2835-rpi-b.dtb       bcm2835-rpi-b-rev2.dtb
bcm2835-rpi-a-plus.dtb  bcm2835-rpi-b-plus.dtb  bcm2835-rpi-zero.dtb
but nothing specific to the Pi3.

It looks like the driver got deleted in the course of the last
upgrade. I was prompted to delete unnecessary files, and did so.
Bad move, looks like.

Apt-get update/upgrade insist everything is at its latest and
greatest. Is there a way to forcibly install the correct sound
drivers?

With my thanks!

bob prohaska

Re: No audio after upgrade on 30 June
Just to wrap things up, the solution turned out to be adding
/boot/config.txt containing

dtparam=audio=on

as the only entry. After reboot audio works as before.

bob prohaska

Re: No audio after upgrade on 30 June

hmmm... interesting, the /boot files were causing it.

those are documented, just have to look [hard] for the info

My next suggestion would've been to re-image the SD using the latest
bootable image, if you hadn't found this.

another possibility might be to use 'dist-upgrade' as well as 'upgrade'
with the apt-get commands to upgrade your system.  Sometimes that will
do things to fix problems *like* that.

(I'm a long-time Debian user, so I've seen various problems in upgrading
before, not a new situation, just different details)

Re: No audio after upgrade on 30 June
Alas, not in this case. Every upgrade attempt cycled through
update, upgrade and dist-upgrade in the hope some missing change
would get made. No such luck.

Part of the trouble is my own inexperience with Linux. I'm
well acquainted with FreeBSD and was once a user of Apple's A/UX,
but Raspbian is a different animal, and the zookeepers are different.

Is there a central repository for Raspbian documentation, something
like the FreeBSD handbook? A basic guide to how things are done might
have helped in a case like this.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Site Timeline