needing ethernet to install is absurd!

He writes:-- |Internet Connection Sharing using iptables | | Networking | | It is very easy to setup an internet connection sharing in Linux | system using iptables. This method can be used to share an internet | connection from a Linux system(I used Fedora Core 6, but it should | work on other distributions that support iptables). Another method | of doing this is using a proxy server like squid. | |Enable IP forwarding | --- snip N lines --- bla...bla |Second System | |LAN Card connected to the first system | | * IP : 192.168.0.30 | * Netmask : 255.255.255.0 | * Gateway : 192.168.0.20 (IP of the second Card in the first | system) | |Disclaimer | | Linux networks is not a subject I am an expert on. So take my advice | with a pinch of salt. The above procedure worked for me. YMMV.

----------

Screw you! I don't want to know about: iptables, squid, IP forwarding !!

Ethernet for rPi is as absurd as windscreen-wipers on a bicycle.

If you become thirsty while busy at your work bench, you just go to the nearest convenient outlet, with your and get some water. Finished! You don't employ a plumbing architect to file plans for a 'network' with the city building authorities.

AFAICS the standard way of installing 3 packages to rPi is: potatoes bananas shoes where KNOWS the current IP of the archives - which is hidden from the user, in the binary.

Although cat `which apt-get`| strings | grep http show one possible URL.

So, until you've installed the packages to allow the rPi to connect-to-inet via one of its 2 USBports, you'd need to have the rPi request your PC to fetch the packages. So you need the absurd eth* facilities.

So, where's the minimal instructions, and what type of cable must I buy to interconnect to a standard PC?

I must admitt that rPi is not so absurd as OLPC, which although intended for the most primitive rural environment, didn't even have a USEnet group. The smart-arses were trying to communicate from California/Boston with scholars in the jungle, using full featured web-browsers.

Reply to
Unknown

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

At the risk of feeding someone with the same email address as someone accused in another thread of being a troll...

Ethernet on the Pi works perfectly well. It was just about trivial to plug in an SD card with the Raspbian image (or install Raspbian via NOOBS), plug plug a network cable between the Pi and a port on my outer router, boot up the Pi, and do "apt-get update" and "apt-get install ..."

My two-part plan for my first Pi is to 1) have it feed video from a USB TV tuner over ethernet to my main computer; 2) capture audio via analog cable from the main computer and send the audio samples over ethernet to a thin/zero-client machine. (The snd_aloop kernel module and net-JACK used to do the latter job until snd_aloop became broken.)

HTH

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

And for the Model A?

--
roger ivie
rivie@ridgenet.net

remove the SD card and put it in a 'B', or use a USB network interface (eth or wifi).

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to