Need access to /root.

Hi, I need access to everything on my PI.

Right now I can't copy any files, or edit any config.txt files. It won't let me save them.

Anyone who can help me, please do, I would really appreciate it tremendously.

Thank in advance,

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

sudo is your friend.

Reply to
Andy Burns

sudo is your friend:

sudo nano config.txt

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 22:39:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" declaimed the following:

And suddenly I have visions of "Mork calling Orson, come in Orson"

Dennis Lee Bieber

Set root passwd ================ sudo passwd root

Become root =========== then su -

and log in as root.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I also come from the "login as root and get on with it" school, and find prefixing every command with sudo tedious, I don't own a Pi, so when I asked to look at issues with them, I tend to just use

sudo su -

as a temporary way to let me do stuff my way, without getting the owner into "bad" habits ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can get both: Do not set up a root account, and in case of need do sudo bash.

--

-Tauno Voipio
Reply to

That's so last century.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks everyone, but it was just this simple:

login: root

set and confirm password

exit

login as root with password

This is safe since it's being used as a closed system.

Thank you all again.

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

says the man with the new square bamboo renewable bicycle wheels.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Easier atill:-