NAS and maybe more

Newbie here.

Best solution for a RaspberryPi 4B 4G to use as a NAS server.
Using heatsinks.

Is fan needed?

Will it support two 8TB USB3 Drives as NAS ?

Solution 1
     Raspbian with Samba
    Will it run stand alone without Keyboard / Mouse / Monitor ?

    Allows use as a Linux PC.

Solution 2
     OpenMediaVault
    Runs only stand alone ?

    No OS to allow use of Keyboard / mouse / Monitor ?

Solution 3
    ????  Something better ?

What does SSH do for me ?  i.e. how do you use it ?

Seems Solution 1 is best.

Thank you !

Re: NAS and maybe more
No. You dont need much CPU for a NAS

Why wouldnt it? power maybe is all

yes.

its a secure remote console

yes. Consider intalling minidlna to serve media files to TVs etc.

?Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of ?an airplane.?

Re: NAS and maybe more

No.  Just stand the Pi on edge and it'll keep itself cool enough.

 .. might need to power them externally.

Yes.

Not unless you need the extra features.

I use Puppy Linux for this.  I have Samba and FTP serve the same drive(s)
then everything can access - plus use it as a print server.

At this level, regard it as encrypted telnet - but you should firewall your
NAS away from the internet so telnet -might- be enough.

Practically any linux will handle this and a 1G Pi4 works ok for me.

If you run your scripts before X is started (eg in /etc/rc.d or similar)
then you can set up with a gui and disable it when all is working thereby
getting a slight performance boost.

Before you do anything else:
Using Raspbian:
sudo-apt update
sudo-apt full-upgrade

... the full-upgrade updates the Pi firmware and some of the recent changes
    really help smooth net access and cooling for all OSs.

Cheerio,