mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'

How does one go about mounting and examining a freebsd root
filesystem on a raspberry pi 3 running Linux raspberrypi 4.9.24-v7+ #993 SMP Wed Apr 26 18:01:23 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux  ?

From the man page it looks as if both mount and fsck should recognize
type ufs filesystems, but trying to look at a freebsd microSD card
on a Raspbian system produces

bob@raspberrypi:~/com $ sudo mount -t ufs -o rw /dev/sdc2 /mnt
mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'

When fsck is invoked with
bob@raspberrypi:~/com $ fsck -t ufs /dev/sdc2
the reply is
fsck from util-linux 2.25.2
which suggested that util-linux needed to be installed. However, it's
already up to date.

Thanks for reading and any guidance!

bob prohaska

Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'
I think you need to recompile the kernel and add a module for UFS support.

Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'
On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 03:55:40 +0100

Modules were introduced so you don't need to recompile the kernel.

Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'
In general yes, but what I read online indicated that the module alone
would not work: As to why, or the accuracy of that statement, I leave to
someone more interested than I to discover.

I was just curious enough to spend 10 minutes looking up to see what te
general received wisdom was, and it seemed to be compile kernel with
support AND add the module as well.

YMMV

Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'
More research reveals

http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id17%517

which isn't encouraging.

Some people seem to have found a package that works and have mounted UFS
readonly.

http://unsolicitedbutoffered.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/quick-fix-accessing-ufs-drives-using.html

Not found anyone who has mounted it with full access rights

--
Of what good are dead warriors? ? Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Oh this guy has, although it crashes

https://imil.net/blog/2014/10/31/mounting-ufs2-readwrite-on-linux/

elsewhere it seems that version 2-2.2 kernels needed recompiling for UFS
support.

This may be helpful

https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_mount_ffs_partition_under_linux/

It assumes you have the support.

Unfortunately in my linux here (Mint 17) there is no sign of any UFS
modules on the machine or packages like that in the repository, which
suggests that debian dropped the whole thing upstream

In short, its one of those things that an enthusiast got sorta half
working and then gave up on, and its no longer supported.

Th recieved wisdom is to set up a small machine with BSD and mount the
drive in that, and use NFS to access it from the pi :-)

--
Of what good are dead warriors? ? Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'

You need to use fuse-ufs2.  Here's how to do it:
https://imil.net/blog/2014/10/31/mounting-ufs2-readwrite-on-linux/
though the github repo is now:
https://github.com/mkatiyar/fuse-ufs2

Note that UFS is not a standardised format, so there are differences between
different UNIX systems' implementations.

Theo

Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'
Now I appreciate the depths of the difficulty.........

Thanks to all who replied! I did  build a new kernel using
menuconfig. Didn't try the "dangerous" write option. Since the ufs
partion had crashed it was dirty, I couldn't read or fsck it so it
had to go on a freebsd box anyway.

bob prohaska

Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'
The time I spent researching the net suggested that might be your only hope.

--
?it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
Re: mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'

strange.  'dirty' shouldn't prevent reading it.  normally that's caused
by not doing a complete shutdown, and doesn't actually affect file
system integrity.  Well, it *could* and apparently the file system
driver is being "paranoid".

menuconfig is painful so kudos to going through the process.  I usually
manually edit the files and use 'oldconfig' for kernel mods.  but it's
been a while since I needed to do that [used to do a lot with
customizing Linux on wifi access points back in the day].

and a kernel build on a Pi would be equally painful...

[hopefully you have a really good cross-compile environment set up]

Site Timeline