Monitoring internal voltages

Does the Pi (Pi3, in particular) have any ability to report interal power supply voltages? Spot checks with a voltmeter on the GPIO header are some help, but a running test that can be logged over time would be much more informative.

I found a web page suggesting "vcgencmd measure_volts core" but on my Pi3 it reports VCHI "initialization failed". Apropos didn't hit on voltage or volt

As it happens I want to do this under FreeBSD, but if it can't be done under Raspbian there's no hope. If it can, then I'll look further.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

That command works on a 3B+ and a Zero W (running a recent Raspbian Lite headless) although it returns a suspicious looking "volt=1.2000V" on both of them.

Reply to
Rob Morley

From elinux:

vcgencmd measure_volts

Shows voltage. id can be one of core, sdram_c, sdram_i, sdram_p, and defaults to core if not specified.

root@raspberrypi:~# \

core: volt=1.20V sdram_c: volt=1.20V sdram_i: volt=1.20V sdram_p: volt=1.23V

Reply to
ray carter

I got initialization failed until I ran it as root (or used sudo)

Reply to
Jim Jackson

Thank you! I shoulda guessed....

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Normally it works without sudo, though. Could be something wrong with your Raspbian installation or at least s/t non-standard, perhaps like using a different user account than pi.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I am using s different account than pi, but I tried my double-damndest to make all the changes required to get along without the pi account and _thought_ I'd succeded.

Guess not 8-(

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Might not be your fault; apparently user pi is hardwired in a lot of RPi-specific code :(

Reply to
A. Dumas

That wouldn't surprise me at all - just look at the ever-increasing list of hard-wired user names used by any of the mainstream Linux distros.

That said, I've never used pi on my RPi - one of the first things I did was to set up another login and configure it to work in much the samw way as my usual logins on by Fedora systems.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org