Monitor recommendations

I have finaly got round to putting my RaPi into a case and got it up and running. (B+ 512M)

I am now looking for a smallish monitor, idaelly around 10"-13" which can do 1920x1024.

There seem to be quite a few on Ebay, all from China, which I am a bit suspicious of and one on Amazon

Has anyone any experience of theses or other similar monitors.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Reply to
Stuart

Go to Currys / Dixons and avail yourself of a small digital TV; most have HDMI inputs these days.

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

BE CAREFUL.

I have moved from terrestrial Digital TV to satellite by stucking a card into my home server and using the TV as an HDMI connected monitor. There is a perceptible delay (~200ms) between e.g. moving the mouse and seeing the cursor move that did not happen with a purpose built monitor.

The Natural Philosopher

Nothing less than 20".

The Pi is small and compact, I want a small compact monitor to go with it.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Reply to
Stuart

etc .

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did order a 15" chinese monitor from amazon - it was a scam. Never came, I finally got a refund. My advice: stick with ~20" tv or, I found a

5" touchscreen monitor that wasn't too high - but that is small.
Reply to
ray carter

Rapid Electronics sell a 7" (800x480) touch screen with a case enclosing

lcd-75-0756

I've seen and handled one when a mate brought it to the pub.

It looks reasonably made and fairly strong. The screen is crisp and plenty bright enough for indoor use. I believe there's room for an expansion card but the case is not splashproof because it has cut-outs for access to the USB and RJ45 sockets. There is no room for a battery in the case: its just a slim fit plastic shell for the screen with a bulge on the back to fit round the RPi.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

How's the resolution on that? Good enough for e-books?

Reply to
Mel Wilson

I didn't look at that, mainly because I'd use it as a control box for the multifunction timer in an electrically powered free flight model aircraft. I was planning to do the graphics with GTK2 front-ending C, but I see that the recommended graphics is the Kivy framework, which only seems to have support Python bindings. However, bearing in mind that a bog standard VGA screen is/was 640x480 pixels, so this is effectively a somewhat wider VGA screen. A VGA display in normal text mode displays 24 lines of 80 characters, so the equivalent mode on this would be a 24x100 display, with characters drawn in something like an 7x16 matrix. Total line height, including the whitespace between lines, is 20 pixels.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

would the official rpi 7" touch screen work for your needs?

Reply to
ray carter

Hello Stuart,

SW> I have finaly got round to putting my RaPi into a case and got it up and SW> running. (B+ 512M)

Why the Pi 1B+ and not the Pi 3B ?

SW> I am now looking for a smallish monitor, idaelly around 10"-13" which SW> can do 1920x1024.

SW> There seem to be quite a few on Ebay, all from China, which I am a bit SW> suspicious of and one on Amazon SW>

SW> Has anyone any experience of theses or other similar monitors.

Try they have many sizes, even watertight. We use them on ships for Inland ECDIS with a Pi 2B/3B and OpenCPN. Good Luck in finding the right model, most have VGA or DVI-D, or HDMI. There are FayTech importers in Europe too.

Henri.

Reply to
Henri Derksen

Several monitors advertised on Amazon and Ebay (In Brit, at least)

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

Because it's what I've got, I've had it a long time.

The stimulus to get on and do something, came from the purchase of an Ident computer "micro-one", at the RISC OS South-West show last weekend, at a very good price.

Thanks, I'll check it out

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Reply to
Stuart

404 error
--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Reply to
Stuart

^^^^^^^^^^^^ You need to add the follow-on - lcd-75-0756 - to complete the URL and then it works OK

Cheers.

--
Peter Campbell-Banks,

mailto: peter.cb@talktalk.net
Reply to
Peter Campbell-Banks

unwrap it

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did!

Never mind, it worked this morning.

However, the resolution is much lower than I was looking for and as the Pi is nicely cased up, I need HDMI input,

Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Reply to
Stuart

I thought that looked rather neat until I realised they didn't take the opportunity to build a PSU into the keyboard. As it is I'd rather hang the Pi on the monitor and use a wireless keyboard with built-in touch- pad (and a trackball for mouse-intensive work).

Reply to
Rob Morley

I have picked up a couple of 14" 4:3 monitors from second-hand shops for

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

In the end I bought the Wimaxit 10". The stand is a bit feeble but the monitor itself is fine. Yes it can run 1920x1080 and it's crisp and clear.