Missing gcc man pages (raspbian)

My raspberry pi installation of linux is missing the gcc manual pages:

  $ man gcc
  No manual entry for gcc
  See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

I think I am on Raspbian but I couldn't tell you what version. (Is there
a way to find out?) Command uname -a gives

  Linux pi2 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:20:48 GMT 2015
armv7l GNU/Linux

I have reinstalled gcc but that didn't help. I tried to install gcc-doc
and got the following.

  $ sudo apt-get install gcc-doc
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  Package gcc-doc is not available, but is referred to by another
package.
  is only available from another source

So, is there a way to install the manual pages for gcc? Anyone else had
this problem?

James

Re: Missing gcc man pages (raspbian)

  sudo apt-get install gcc-4.6-doc

Assuming you're running gcc version 4.6 (use gcc -v to check)

Gordon

Re: Missing gcc man pages (raspbian)

gcc-doc and got the following.
package.
had this problem?

Thanks. That works.

Not that it's going to make a lot of difference in this case but that
shouldn't be necessary, should it? Isn't the idea that there should be a
gcc-doc pseudo package which points to the right version of the doc
package and gets updated as each new version of gcc becomes current?

Is gcc-doc simply missing from Raspbian? Should this have a bug report?

James

Re: Missing gcc man pages (raspbian)

    What I tend to do is

$ apt-cache pkgnames >pkglst  (or the equivalent for yum systems)

from time to time, then I can 'grep -i' in pkglst for relevant strings to
help find something I need.

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________  CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University.    Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch]    Room 40-1-B12, CERN

,,,

FWIW I had a discussion in two threads on the raspberrypi.org forum for
raspbian:

  https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f66%

Following advice there I have posted a bug report to

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/raspbian/+bug/1466630

It looks as though such bug reports might not get picked up but we'll
see.

James

Re: Missing gcc man pages (raspbian)

The Raspbian guys (Peter especially) do keep an eye on the forums and
will probably reply fairly shortly.

To me, it just looks like an oversight in missing that package and, as
it is just a meta-package with no actual programs involved, it ought to
be trivial to add to the Raspbian repos. It doesn't even need to be
rebuilt as the Debian version should work without any changes.

Site Timeline