Libraries

There aretwo of us who are conduting Raspberry Piclasses of all sorts (usage, interfacing, coding, etc) to a retirement village. Each class member has their own Pi and are doing quite well considering they never used acomputer riorto tis series of classes.

One question popped up the other day when we were installing samba on their systems. One gentleman asked "how do you know what programs are in this library so you know what to install? The other instructor and I looked at each other and couldn't come up with ananswer except it was by articles, or hearsay from others.

So I will ask the more linux literate ones here how do you get a ist of the apps and programs availabe for installation? I've looked at apt-get and its parameters, but I have had no luck at all. I do not profess to be an expert in the Raspbian system, so if I could run a comand to get a list of info for the programs, I could proess the output list to pull just thre bae bones info for the library entries.

can someone provide some help with this effort?

Thanks for your attention.

John Carter

Reply to
John Carter

If you mean a list of packages in the Raspbian repository, the 'Add/Remove Software' window on the Raspbian desktop shows a listing, organized by categories.

For a tool for bare console, aptitude does the same.

There are tens of thousands of packages in the repo, please be prepared for quite a haystack for the needle.

--

-TV
Reply to

As raspbian is based on debian then:

is a pretty full answer to the question "what is available" and for any package what the dependencies will be. It is comprehensive but I am not sure it is easy or beginner friendly. It is still not quite complete because there are also packages out there that require building from source and those are not included in that list. There are also things like pi-hole and pi-vpn which are packages with pi specific configuration wrappers for standard packages.

For a more friendly list of programs or applications then a general starter is to google something like "linux applications list" to get links like:

The range is still extensive and bewildering but is at least more or less by task.

For your class a curated list of one example from each common application type maybe more useful.

MArt>There aretwo of us who are conduting Raspberry Piclasses of all sorts

Reply to
notvalid

Other people have answer the question as asked.

But it?s the wrong question. If you actually want to solve some specific problem, you don?t get a gigantic list and look through it looking for something that addresses that problem, you use Google (or another search engine, if you prefer) and see what you can find.

--
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

Speaking as a septuagenarian Linux user who has just started exploring the Raspberry Pi, I suspect that you "heard" a slightly different question than the one your students are asking.

The question is more like "What can Raspberry Pi do for me today?"

The closest I've seen debian.org come is

. It is too fine grained - doubt they are interested specifically in Lisp, Perl, TeX etc.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

well a good start is something like synaptic.But that was always the weak part of Unix and Linux documentation. Told you everything to make a program do what you wanted except what the program actually did, and where to find it.

The Natural Philosopher

Web search to find package names, followed by

aptitude search package-name # to find package and its friends

aptitude show package-name # to find out more about the package

then either

aptitude install package...

or

apt-get install package...

And... You're probably teaching your students to use man pages but don't forget to show them how to use the commands

apropos locate which

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

John Carter wrote in news:XnsABB8164073800rickrollspost@74.209.136.95:

To all who responded, thank you. I knew there were a lot of packages out there and I will have to think about if I want to delve into the whole thing or not.

I do know there are better questions for this response, but one of our goals is to keep our answers and topics at their level and work from there. This experience of instructing retirees has been entertaining and challenging at the same time. Your answers to questions such as these are a great help to us in dealing with senior citizens who are trying to learn new technology. I myself am 75, but retired from Control Data Corporation a long time ago, so it makes it even more interesting. Thanks agin for your support.

It does however provide some food for thought as to how his could be used in a learning experience for all of us old geezers.

Reply to
John Carter

First computer I worked with was a CDC 7600 at Manchester University (1971).

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

I can trump you there: Elliott 503 at Victoria University of Wellington in (I think) the summer of 1966/67 and than ICL 1900s from 1968.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Double trump: Ferranti Mercury at Manchester University (1959).

Reply to
Jack Fearnley

It wasn't meant to be a game of who's been working longer, it was just aimed at John Carter who worked for CDC to prove that some of us remember the days when CDC built the biggest and fastest.

Jack, did you work on the (I think) MU2, precursor to ICL 2900 series? I remember being shown this in all its point-to-point wiring glory.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

And using the package manager means it will install any dependencies at the same time so you should not have to install any extra packages first.

The question is technically unnecessary but does show the student is actually thinking about what they are doing rather than following blindly. This is an excellent start & they should do really well

--
If we all work together, we can totally disrupt the system.
Reply to

Ok , lets go for the win here - anyone work on a LEO? (Way before my time I wasn't even born then & I am not exactly a youngster any more)

--
"Open Channel D..."
		-- Napoleon Solo, The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Yes, someone did!

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

.

I took my undergraduate degree in mathematics at Manchester graduating in

1960. During the Easter vacation in 1959 I took a two week course in the Electrical Engineering department on the Ferranti Mercury.

We learned the concepts of programming and used PIG (Paginator Index Generator) which was their version of assembler, and Autocode which was a higher level language. Everything had to be punched on paper tape and there were tricky ways of correcting the physical tpes to correct the inevitable bugs.

On the basis of this course I managed to get a Summer job with the industrial division of the Atomic Energy Authority which had a Ferranti Mercury.

Subsequent to my graduation I moved to Canada and so lost all contact with Manchester and Ferranti.

I went on to program IBM650, 1401, 1410, 7094, CDC6600 all in the 1960's. After that I moved into management and things got less interesting :-)

Best Regards, Jack Fearnley

Reply to
Jack Fearnley

No, but I knew someone who worked on the Ace Pilot and was part of the NPL team who built one of the first packet-switch networks and may have beaten Vint Cerf to it: he was at the pre Arpanet meeting when the NPL team described their packet switching system. IIRC he said their network was running by then.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Chris Elvidge wrote in news:r96rle$7tv$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

My tenure with CDC was 1968 to 1991.

I was a field analyst working at Cape Canaveral optomizing the Real- Time Computer system software that tracked any vehicle launched from The Cape. I had the opportunity to watch my software arm and destruct a few Delta rockets that went out of safety envelope. I had the blockhouse duty for the Apollo 7,8,9,10 and 11. I was one of those guys in a white shirt and undone tie sitting at a console that monitored the range radar data. It was fun and exciting. I also did consulting at the Deep Underwater Torpedo Test Range on Andros Island working with the Royal Navy.

In December 1968, I was sent to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin where Seymore Cray was doig the final trsting on 7600 S/n 1 for both hardware and software. I was running some benchmarks for Florida State University on the 7600. The software was setup with a six-pack of PPU s in a unit record configuration feeding the CPU and it was one user at a time, make your run, et the output and find a place to evaluate it until you make corrections and got back in line. I had a code from FSU that ran on their 6400, but for some reason would not compile error-free. I tried several times and finally threw the listing into a trash barrel with great gusto. Well Cray saw this and asked what the problem was. I dug the listing out of the barrel and showed him. He said that's not right, something is wrong here ther's nothing wrong with that syntax. He called a guy over to look at the problem. This guy had a big beer belly, and a worn sport coat with worn leather patches on the elbows. He introduced himself as Garner McCrossen who I was told later by one of the ther workers ther to be the world's foremost xpert in Fortran compilers. anyway he scratched his head and looked at a couple of listings and then halted the merry-go-round and did some patching nd things were fine.But I was overwhelmed to have had some encounter with two major players in the industry.

Sorry to ramble, but your 7600 brought back this memory for me.

Reply to
John Carter

Fantastic, thanks.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Ditto! Always pleased to hear tales of this sort of thing - helps get today's software and hardware problems in focus :)

--
W J G
Reply to