Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Latest reports say that Zoom is about as secure as a wet paper bag, and that they're removing its WebClient module because (lack of) security and replacing it with software thats downloaded and installed on your box using a known dodgy pre-installation script, so I'd say its anybody's guess whether this stuff will run on ARM chips and/or under Linux.

Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

"Martin Gregorie" wrote

| Latest reports say that Zoom is about as secure as a wet paper bag, and | that they're removing its WebClient module because (lack of) security and | replacing it with software thats downloaded and installed on your box | using a known dodgy pre-installation script, so I'd say its anybody's | guess whether this stuff will run on ARM chips and/or under Linux. | |

| No ARM version. But just as well. The browser version works and the general consensus seems to be that the installed software version is notably more intrusive.

Reply to
Mayayana

"Deloptes" wrote | > | | > An informative error message. That would be | > a clever idea. :) Last night I tried to watch a | > Hoopla movie in FF and got a message like, "Media | > could not be played." After some research it seems | > the problem is probably that ARM browsers don't have | > Widevine DRM. I'm getting an education in what | > you *can't* do with a Pi. | | Don't know on which ARM you experienced this. I had similar experience last | year on the new RPI 4b. In recent updates it was resolved. Video in for | example youtube works just as fine as in the x86. |

A new Pi4, updated. Youtube does work fine. Hoopla, for those who don't know, is a service through libraries. Like Netflix but free. Another one is Kanopy. If your local library or associated university subscribes then you can get movies for free. Not an amazing selection, but pretty good. And Netfilix has gone *way* downhill, so Hoopla might actually be better.

Youtube is fine because it's not restricted. Hoopla and others like Netflix need the Widevine DRM component. I only know about all of this since last night, the first time I tried to play something on Hoopla. Widevine is not legally distributable as a stand-alone package and DRM browsers don't have it, at least so far.

I found info online to force-install Widevine to Chrome. Didn't seem to work to make movies play on Hoopla. I'm going to try again with this simplified version that someone put together:

It seems that Widevine is needed but that also many sites do userAgent sniffing, so that has to be spoofed. Ugh.

Reply to
Mayayana

It's not just the Pi. Many things only work on Linux because a pre-compiled x86 binary is available for the particular distribution. There is still little general support for ARM based systems, but where that is planned Raspbian is at the top of the list.

---druck

Reply to
druck

"druck" wrote

| > the problem is probably that ARM browsers don't have | > Widevine DRM. I'm getting an education in what | > you *can't* do with a Pi. | | It's not just the Pi. Many things only work on Linux because a | pre-compiled x86 binary is available for the particular distribution. | There is still little general support for ARM based systems, but where | that is planned Raspbian is at the top of the list. |

From what I've found it sounds like ARM is not considered secure enough for DRM. If I'd known it would have this [apparently unfixable] problem I wouldn't have bought it.

It's a fun little gizmo, but my main reason for getting it was to get a Windows computer out of the living room. Now it seems I have a $100 Youtube viewer that can run Linux command line incantations if I get bored. :)

Reply to
Mayayana

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 14:22:11 -0400, "Mayayana" declaimed the following:

ARM, or R-Pi?

ARM (the company) licenses processor architecture/designs, but the licensed company is responsible for adding in other features. The R-Pi SoC originated, as I recall, as a cell phone core.

There are ARM SoCs that incorporate things like hardware AES and other encryption, secure boot capability

and other such features... But those SoCs tend to be more expensive (and activating secure boot can be a one-time action, not conducive to a system running Linux wherein much of the boot logic can change from version to version, and the file system is writable).

For DRM, the lack is likely that the R-Pi does not have hardware encryption (software can be hacked), and may also be too slow for streaming data (especially as the foundation hasn't yet released a 64-bit OS -- while

64-bit may add some overhead for routine programs, software DRM/encryption may gain from having full 64-bit operations rather than having to split stuff into 32-bit halves). .
	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Better use the library to read books - one's life time is not enough for reading all the good books.

Reply to
Deloptes

other

if you needs to keep your encryption method secret then it is no good

it is the keys that needs to remain secret not the algorithm

--
I haven't lost my mind; I know exactly where I left it.
Reply to

"Deloptes" wrote

| Better use the library to read books - one's life time is not enough for | reading all the good books.

Of course this isn't the first time I've heard, "If Linux can't do it then you don't need it." That's why Linux has been a joke as a practical, non-geek OS for 25 years.

It's not the fault of Pi that streaming services don't work, but it is a perfect job for Pi. Services like Hoopla and Kanopy rent movies for free and probably have more movies than Netflix. There are also a number of ebook lending services -- all free. Your tax dollars may be paying for that whether you use the service or not. You can check with your local library to see whether they subscribe. Typically big cities subscribe to the movie services while rural areas subscribe only to ebook services, at best.

And it's not only Hoopla that's a problem. As you said, Youtube works. That's about it. In my researching this, it seems that a number of people have been trying to get Netflix, Amazon, etc working, with limited, usually temporary success. And as usual, their solutions are only available to geeks who understand that getting anything done on a Linux system requires typing in lots of arcane incantations that one finds on obscure webpages. (I've tried one such solution that uses the Widevine libraries from ChromeOS and spoofs the browser UA, but so far it's not working in Hoopla. Though some people seem to have it working for Netflix.)

Reply to
Mayayana

Admittedly I tend to dislike quite a few things and people, but there's one and only one that I truly hate, the mind-numbing and brain-killing gogglebox. And that goes for it's newer clones as well.

I am a critical reader but movies and visuals bypass your critical faculties and directly affect emotions and perception. They're unspeakably dangerous. I'm one of the few luck ones who even in the sixties were able to grow up in a home without TV and have not got one and will not ever get one.

Have you ever once really watched a child in front of the box? The trance they fall into is terrifying to see unless you are completely dulled already.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

El Reg articles are often second hand and blown out of proportion, like this one.

Zoom has some very specific issues (some on Windows, some on the Mac) and the, admittedly, poor encryption, which for casual use, however, are all irrelevant.

While not good enough for classified communication, it is probably good enough for confidential ones (medical, legal and the like), provided all participants understand the limitations.

It most certainly is good enough for teaching, webinars, virtual parties and the like. Especially if the content (recordings, notes, and chats) are made public anyway.

And, so much better than a lot of others. In particular does it work really well on iPhone/iPad with the standard in-ear plug-in phones, and I understand same for Android.

el

On 2020-04-04 16:16 , Martin Gregorie wrote: [...]

--
if you want to reply, replace nospam with my initials
Reply to

FWIW, I tried it out for the first time yesterday. Their Linux version (AMD64, so admittedly not something that'd run on the RPi) was provided as a tarball. I downloaded and unpacked it into /tmp and ran it from there. No scripts involved, and it worked like a champ with my webcam (a Microsoft LifeCam Cinema, which also adds a microphone).

I run Gentoo, so I picked the most "generic" Linux version they had. YMMV, especially if you run one of the distros they support.

_/_ / v \ Scott Alfter (remove the obvious to send mail) (IIGS(

Top-posting! \_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Scott Alfter

"Scott Alfter" wrote

| FWIW, I tried it out for the first time yesterday. Their Linux version | (AMD64, so admittedly not something that'd run on the RPi) was provided as a | tarball. I downloaded and unpacked it into /tmp and ran it from there. No | scripts involved, and it worked like a champ with my webcam (a Microsoft | LifeCam Cinema, which also adds a microphone). |

For Pi there's only the browser-based version. No installed software or "app". From what I've read that's better because it's less amenable to Zoom spyware.

The security/ privacy issues are another matter. They relate mostly to assumptions by the Zoomians that nearly all Zoom meetings are work-related and that security through obscurity is adequate. (In other words, since no one's likely to care or figure out how to guess the ID # of your meeting, it's private. But that only held true before there were so many meetings that entering any old number might get you video of young women stretching in their Lululemons, or of business meetings that might provide profitable information.)

Reply to
Mayayana