Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Hello.

Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

-- ..!.. COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2! Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly. /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @

&
/ / /\ /\ \
Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. | |o o| | \ _ / ( )

Reply to
Ant

Did you look here and if not, why not?

for-PC-Mac-and-Linux

You haven't told us which OS you're running, but Raspbian isn't on that list.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Raspbian is an irrelevance since Zoom has a browser app. It should work in Chromium or Firefox on a Pi, assuming the right codecs are available. (I had some troubles with Firefox audio on Mac the other day so probably try Chromium first)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Requirements-

If that's a case, why does the website list suported OSen?

Since it also gives pricing by the number of users (under 100 free) this implies that there's a server used foir hosting your own material, which is something a school may very well want.

However, since the OP doesn't say whether they want to consume or publish content, nobody here can know what they want to do with Zoom+Pi until they tell us.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

I though he said "running Linux Raspbian"?

Probably try the Ubuntu version and you may be in luck.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Requirements-

So they did - I missed that.

I initially thought that, but since the Zoom website lists a fairly specific range of OSen, its IMO unlikely to be written in something that's OS-agnostic (Perl, Python, JavaScript) and it won't be Java, since no version was given.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

That being said the executable(s) will only depend on the right kernel API (or a superset) and compatible support libraries. Given those it should run under any flavour of Linux and perhaps even BSD based emulation. The installer might me more troublesome though.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Zoom has a desktop app, which is x86 only and it supported on a selection of Linux distros. Usually such things can be made to work on an unsupported distro with a bit of fiddling. But the Pi is not an x86, so the desktop app won't work. However the browser app should.

Zoom also has an Android app, which might work if you run Android on the Pi.

AFAIAA it's entirely a cloud app running on their infrastructure. They can price that however they want.

Zoom is a videoconference app - I'm not sure what you mean by 'publish content'. Everyone in a videoconference 'publishes'. If you want to use it as a broadcast mechanism it's just having receive-only attendees to the conference (and they have a pricing option for that).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Understood - I thought it might do something else alongside letting people see and hear each other, like allow distribution of information pages.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 23:07:47 -0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie declaimed the following:

Technically -- Raspbian is a variant of Debian Linux...

However -- the biggest hold up is more likely going to be that the Raspberry Pi is not an Intel/AMD processor, and those packages are built for such. The Android stuff mentioned at places on that site might be ARM processor compatible, but of course, not OS compatible.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Worse, it could be Java!

Unless they have some specific multimedia code/libraries for x86/amd64 in their application that has no equivalent for ARM, their code will probably compile fine for ARM. Probably. Doesn't mean they have tried. Maybe they will if they realise they can make a buck from Pi users.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Zoom sessions run on their servers, to which you can connect via a browser and via their app.

Their app has more functions but it works very well from the browser. I have not tried to share content when running from a browser, but we do it all the time from Mac and Windows apps.

You can fire up a session from the iPhone if you want.

I doubt that during this time a Raspberry app is going to be a priority for them, but one can always ask.

greet> Hello.

--
if you want to reply, replace nospam with my initials
Reply to

"Theo" wrote

| Raspbian is an irrelevance since Zoom has a browser app. | It should work in Chromium or Firefox on a Pi, assuming the right codecs are | available. | (I had some troubles with Firefox audio on Mac the other day so probably try | Chromium first) |

Just tuning in... I've been trying to figure that out. I recently set up an PRi4, removed Chromium, installed Firefox, and tried to set up ZOOM. There is no app or software. So that leaves browser. Firefox works for video, but when clicking "join audio" it tells me my computer isn't configured for audio. The Pi sound works fine (HDMI to a TV). Youtube sound works fine in FF. Only Zoom doesn't work. I don't see how it's possible for a browser version to not work. But you're saying Chromium does work?

Reply to
Mayayana

It's complaining about audio *in*, which the Pi lacks by default. The easiest solutions is an USB audio input dongle, your favourite Pi shop will have ones which are compatible.

---druck

Reply to
druck

"druck" wrote

| | It's complaining about audio *in*, which the Pi lacks by default. The | easiest solutions is an USB audio input dongle, your favourite Pi shop | will have ones which are compatible. |

It seems strange that should stop audio out, but thanks. If that's the only solution we may just use the audio from an iPad, which does work.

Reply to
Mayayana

What do you prefer? Searching in vain for why nobody can hear you until all your hair is pulled out or having the program tell you that there is insufficient audio hardware support and that audio is turned off.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

What do you prefer? Searching in vain for why nobody can hear you until all your hair is pulled out or having the program tell you that there is insufficient audio hardware support and that audio is turned off.

I have no use for the input. The woman I live with wants to tune into yoga classes and local lectures. Various remote events during corona.

She has no intention of using audio or camera on our end. I have no intention of buying such things and hooking them up to the Pi, as I also have no intention of using them. I just want to recieve audio and video, as I do on Youtube, Hoopla, and every other website I visit that transmits audio. The video works despite having no camera. But not the audio.

So I don't have insufficient hardware. If I have to install Chromium I can. If what it really requires is to buy input hardware then that probably won't be worth the trouble.

Reply to
Mayayana

I would prefer having the program tell me that there is no microphone and so it can't be turned on while using what was there to best effect.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

"Ahem A Rivet's Shot" wrote

| I would prefer having the program tell me that there is no | microphone and so it can't be turned on while using what was there to best | effect. | An informative error message. That would be a clever idea. :) Last night I tried to watch a Hoopla movie in FF and got a message like, "Media could not be played." After some research it seems the problem is probably that ARM browsers don't have Widevine DRM. I'm getting an education in what you *can't* do with a Pi.

Reply to
Mayayana

Don't know on which ARM you experienced this. I had similar experience last year on the new RPI 4b. In recent updates it was resolved. Video in for example youtube works just as fine as in the x86.

regards

Reply to
Deloptes