Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Hello.

Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux
Raspbian)?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
--
..!.. COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2!
Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Did you look here and if not, why not?

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-Requirements-
for-PC-Mac-and-Linux

You haven't told us which OS you're running, but Raspbian isn't on that
list.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Raspbian is an irrelevance since Zoom has a browser app.
It should work in Chromium or Firefox on a Pi, assuming the right codecs are
available.
(I had some troubles with Firefox audio on Mac the other day so probably try
Chromium first)

Theo

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Requirements-
If that's a case, why does the website list suported OSen?

Since it also gives pricing by the number of users (under 100 free) this
implies that there's a server used foir hosting your own material, which
is something a school may very well want.

However, since the OP doesn't say whether they want to consume or publish
content, nobody here can know what they want to do with Zoom+Pi until
they tell us.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Zoom has a desktop app, which is x86 only and it supported on a selection of
Linux distros.  Usually such things can be made to work on an unsupported
distro with a bit of fiddling.  But the Pi is not an x86, so the desktop app
won't work.  However the browser app should.

Zoom also has an Android app, which might work if you run Android on the
Pi.

AFAIAA it's entirely a cloud app running on their infrastructure.  They can
price that however they want.

Zoom is a videoconference app - I'm not sure what you mean by 'publish
content'.  Everyone in a videoconference 'publishes'.  If you want to use it
as a broadcast mechanism it's just having receive-only attendees to the
conference (and they have a pricing option for that).

Theo

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Understood  - I thought it might do something else alongside letting
people see and hear each other, like allow distribution of information
pages.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

| Raspbian is an irrelevance since Zoom has a browser app.
| It should work in Chromium or Firefox on a Pi, assuming the right codecs
are
| available.
| (I had some troubles with Firefox audio on Mac the other day so probably
try
| Chromium first)

   Just tuning in... I've been trying to figure that out.
I recently set up an PRi4, removed Chromium, installed
Firefox, and tried to set up ZOOM. There is no app
or software. So that leaves browser. Firefox works for
video, but when clicking "join audio" it tells me my computer
isn't configured for audio. The Pi sound works fine
(HDMI to a TV). Youtube sound works fine in FF. Only
Zoom doesn't work. I don't see how it's possible for a
browser version to not work. But you're saying Chromium
does work?

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

It's complaining about audio *in*, which the Pi lacks by default. The
easiest solutions is an USB audio input dongle, your favourite Pi shop
will have ones which are compatible.

---druck

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

| It's complaining about audio *in*, which the Pi lacks by default. The
| easiest solutions is an USB audio input dongle, your favourite Pi shop
| will have ones which are compatible.

  It seems strange that should stop audio out, but
thanks. If that's the only solution we may just
use the audio from an iPad, which does work.

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

What do you prefer? Searching in vain for why nobody can hear you until
all your hair is pulled out or having the program tell you that there is
insufficient audio hardware support and that audio is turned off.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

What do you prefer? Searching in vain for why nobody can hear you until
all your hair is pulled out or having the program tell you that there is
insufficient audio hardware support and that audio is turned off.

  I have no use for the input. The woman I live with
wants to tune into yoga classes and local lectures.
Various remote events during corona.

   She has no intention of using audio or camera on
our end. I have no intention of buying such things
and hooking them up to the Pi, as I also have no
intention of using them. I just want to recieve audio
and video, as I do on Youtube, Hoopla, and every other
website I visit that transmits audio. The video works
despite having no camera. But not the audio.

   So I don't have insufficient hardware. If I have to
install Chromium I can. If what it really requires is to
buy input hardware then that probably won't be worth
the trouble.

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Latest reports say that Zoom is about as secure as a wet paper bag, and
that they're removing its WebClient module because (lack of) security and
replacing it with software thats downloaded and installed on your box
using a known dodgy pre-installation script, so I'd say its anybody's
guess whether this stuff will run on ARM chips and/or under Linux.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/03/dont_use_zoom_if_privacy/

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

| Latest reports say that Zoom is about as secure as a wet paper bag, and
| that they're removing its WebClient module because (lack of) security and
| replacing it with software thats downloaded and installed on your box
| using a known dodgy pre-installation script, so I'd say its anybody's
| guess whether this stuff will run on ARM chips and/or under Linux.
|
| https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/03/dont_use_zoom_if_privacy/

   No ARM version. But just as well. The browser version
works and the general consensus seems to be that the
installed software version is notably more intrusive.

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?
El Reg articles are often second hand and blown out of proportion, like
this one.

Zoom has some very specific issues (some on Windows, some on the Mac)
and the, admittedly, poor encryption, which for casual use, however, are
all irrelevant.

While not good enough for classified communication, it is probably good
enough for confidential ones (medical, legal and the like), provided all
participants understand the limitations.

It most certainly is good enough for teaching, webinars, virtual parties
and the like. Especially if the content (recordings, notes, and chats)
are made public anyway.

And, so much better than a lot of others.  In particular does it work
really well on iPhone/iPad with the standard in-ear plug-in phones, and
I understand same for Android.

el

On 2020-04-04 16:16 , Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

if you want to reply, replace nospam with my initials

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

FWIW, I tried it out for the first time yesterday.  Their Linux version
(AMD64, so admittedly not something that'd run on the RPi) was provided as a
tarball.  I downloaded and unpacked it into /tmp and ran it from there.  No
scripts involved, and it worked like a champ with my webcam (a Microsoft
LifeCam Cinema, which also adds a microphone).

I run Gentoo, so I picked the most "generic" Linux version they had.  YMMV,
especially if you run one of the distros they support.

  _/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
 \_^_/                              >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?
On Sat, 04 Apr 2020 00:34:20 +0200

    I would prefer having the program tell me that there is no
microphone and so it can't be turned on while using what was there to best
effect.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

| I would prefer having the program tell me that there is no
| microphone and so it can't be turned on while using what was there to best
| effect.

   An informative error message. That would be
a clever idea. :) Last night I tried to watch a
Hoopla movie in FF and got a message like, "Media
could not be played." After some research it seems
the problem is probably that ARM browsers don't have
Widevine DRM. I'm getting an education in what
you *can't* do with a Pi.

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Don't know on which ARM you experienced this. I had similar experience last
year on the new RPI 4b. In recent updates it was resolved. Video in for
example youtube works just as fine as in the x86.

regards

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?
| > |
| > An informative error message. That would be
| > a clever idea. :) Last night I tried to watch a
| > Hoopla movie in FF and got a message like, "Media
| > could not be played." After some research it seems
| > the problem is probably that ARM browsers don't have
| > Widevine DRM. I'm getting an education in what
| > you *can't* do with a Pi.
|
| Don't know on which ARM you experienced this. I had similar experience
last
| year on the new RPI 4b. In recent updates it was resolved. Video in for
| example youtube works just as fine as in the x86.

  A new Pi4, updated. Youtube does work fine. Hoopla,
for those who don't know, is a service through libraries.
Like Netflix but free. Another one is Kanopy. If your
local library or associated university subscribes then
you can get movies for free. Not an amazing selection,
but pretty good. And Netfilix has gone *way* downhill,
so Hoopla might actually be better.

  Youtube is fine because it's not restricted. Hoopla
and others like Netflix need the Widevine DRM
component. I only know about all of this since last
night, the first time I tried to play something on
Hoopla. Widevine is not legally distributable as a
stand-alone package and DRM browsers don't have
it, at least so far.

  I found info online to force-install Widevine to
Chrome. Didn't seem to work to make movies play on
Hoopla. I'm going to try again with this simplified
version that someone put together:

https://blog.vpetkov.net/2020/03/30/raspberry-pi-netflix-one-line-easy-install-along-with-hulu-amazon-prime-disney-plus-hbo-spotify-pandora-and-many-others/

   It seems that Widevine is needed but that also many
sites do userAgent sniffing, so that has to be spoofed.
Ugh.

Re: Is it possible to use Zoom for classes in Raspberry pi 4 (running Linux Raspbian)?

Better use the library to read books - one's life time is not enough for
reading all the good books.

Site Timeline