installation

My RPi isn't running at present so I didn't look at its /proc/version file, just at the one on this system (running Fedora 22) which IDed both the kernel version and the distro version, so I assumed Raspbian would do the same. My bad.

A way which I know works is to use apt-get to update the system - that shows the version name as part of the stuff that scrolls past.

You could also look at the content of /etc/apt/sources.list It contains a single line. The third item in it is the name of the version you're running. Mine shows (linewrapped):

deb

jessie main contrib non-free rpi

and I'm running jessie.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Three here. Also a comment and a commented deb-src line.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list | head -n 1 | cut -d" " -f3

Reply to
A. Dumas

More standard ways are:

cat /etc/*-release lsb_release -a

Reply to
A. Dumas

And on Debian:

cat /etc/debian_version

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

That's on Raspbian as well, of course(?), and gives me "8.0", so numerically only, but it does incontrovertibly mean Jessie, yes.

Reply to
A. Dumas

And I'd like to say take your horse somewhere else to do it's business.

This is supposed to be a friendly newsgroup catering for people both new to the Raspberry Pi, and having a fair share of Linux experts. Many solutions are possible, but lets start with the one most appropriate to the OP's experience level.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Blame that on Debian, who use those stupid names instead of version numbers. Of course when you really want to use a name, it would have to follow some convention. Like starting with the 8th letter of the alphabet for version 8. But no.

Reply to
Rob

Then give Ada a try. It does prevent you from a fair bit of stupid mistakes.

Reply to
Björn Lundin

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 18:26:56 +0100

It will catch type mismatches, out-of-bounds references and similar stuff but it won't fix faulty logic.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks Mark. Gives Rasbian GNU/linux 7

Which makes me think that Wheezie and Jessie are android upgrades not Rasbian. So many computers but only one aging memory.

snipped-for-privacy@p73.f2.n3634.z1.b> 24 Feb 16 20:15, you wrote to Martin Gregorie:

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire

Now that gives me :-wheezy

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Correct. Type mismatches, out-of-bounds references and pointer errors is what I call stupid mistakes. How many cases of buffer overflow has been reported? How expensive was Heartbleed?

Can't happen with Ada, or at least I cannot see a way of provoking that.

Putting some effort into the program, it will also catch some faulty logic, like forgetting to take care of new enumeration values in a case statement.

But of course, it does not fix everything; like when you write

if a = b then

but you really mean

if a = c then

but at least, it does not try to assign anything to variable a in either case.

And you can be sure that a and b are of the same type, unless you have overridden "=", so you are not comparing apples with oranges

Björn Lundin

Look at /etc/apt/sources.list on your RPi and you'll see either 'wheezy' or 'jessie' is the third word on the only line. Proof positive that this way of identifying the current version is used for Raspbian, just like it is for all Debian clones.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

And shows that those who said you were probably a version behind the new stable were right.

You can either do a clean install of jessie, probably easiest if your system is still almost pristine, or follow the directions for doing the wheezy->jessie upgrade. I have a copy (but didn't keep the URL it lives at) that I can send if you can't find it with a search and nobody posts its URL.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

Null-terminated (as opposed to count-controlled) strings are convenient, but are a security nightmare.

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com
Reply to

THAT is not the root of the problem. The problem goes right back to K & R's decision to use the stack as a terribly fast and efficient way of allocating temporary scratch space. Its wonderful because when you exit a function it vanishes. With no overhead.

Its so dangerous because it is the stack and contains instruction pointer addresses in its remit, and you can overwrite those and take arbitrary code jumps on return...

There are ways around it, but they are overhead, or require a different stack.

If you remember that C is no more than a fast way to write assembler, and gives you the ultimate power to f*ck up totally, you wont make these beginner mistakes.

--
Bureaucracy defends the status quo long past the time the quo has lost
its status.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is hell:

(read the thread beyond the first post; the very last post is telling).

Definitely do a clean install.

Reply to
A. Dumas

[snip]

Don't feed the .sigtrolls

Reply to
colonel_hack

And that use of the stack is quite common for many languages, with reasonable security. But allow the "buffer overflows" that can occur without count control and security plummets.

It is also safer if the stack grows upward, so that the return address and other context is not easily trashed by an upward-indexed string copy.

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com
Reply to
Michael J. Mahon

Interesting: it was a straight forward upgrade for me.

OTOH, I suppose backing up at least the contents of /home and /usr/local before doing a clean install and restoring them afterwards is all a good learning process for the many, or so I'm told, PC users who aren't in the habit of making backups.