installation

Really?

Unless you are an experienced user or a machinist then compiling form source when there is a perfectly good package in the Repo is rarely worth the aggravation.

As the OP was unsure of what to do with a tarball I would say the best advise is to install from the Repo & if necessary resolve why his upgrade failed.

Sonic-pi 2.9 is definitely available from the repos fore the current release.

--
  I disagree with unanimity.
Reply to

Someone? spoke of deleting some file. Which file was that supposed to be? Was I supposed to delete Sonnic-pi v2.6 or the copy of v2.9 that had arrived in the downloads folder? I believe I have only had Jessie on this Pi2. On booting it says on screen 'Rasbian GNU/Linux 7 raspberrypi-2 tty1' which I believe means Jessie. Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire

After running the above 'clean' and upgrading the system again the only difference I have noticed is that Sonic-pi tells me that v2.7 in now available. The attempt to upgrade was because I cannot get the Pi2 running Sonic to play sound through the hdmi feed to the LG tv speakers when the other older model pi's work as they should?

Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

No, I am an experienced programmer, I wrote my first Unix program in

1982. I've been writing software to pay the bills ever since. It's not hard TBH, just requires clear thinking and attention to detail.

or a machinist then compiling form

Of course, if you never try then you never learn. Best not learn, you'll find out how trivial most programming is. We programmers will shroud everything is mystery so we can keep our jobs. However, there's no compiling from source in the instructions referenced. But do go on.

The OP is obviously new to using computers. The instructions were, for once, clear. But if you are so new you don't know what tgz files are or what apt-get does it will seem confusing. They way to learn is to read and experiment. It's a Pi, a cheap computer that you can play with to you heart's desire and truly screw up whilst learning. Then you just recopy the image on to the SD card from your proper PC and continue having, hopefully, learnt what not to do this time.

Yes, the instructions I mentioned tell you how to get it from the repos or how to download a compressed binary. But don't check the information for validity, just dismiss it out of hand.

Reply to
mm0fmf

The TGZ(?) file you downloaded, which won't work with the package management system.

Reply to
Rob Morley
24 Feb 16 20:15, you wrote to Martin Gregorie:

TS> Thank you for that. It does not tell one whether its is Wheezy or TS> Jessie though. Just lists Linux 4.1.13-v7. Just to maybe smooth the TS> water I will say Linux is very new to me.

perhaps the following will tell you that?

cat /etc/issue

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey

... In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

Reply to
mark lewis

No.

Reply to
Rob

In article (Dans l'article) ,

More explicit maybe to check the version:

uname -a

--
Jean-Pierre Kuypers
Reply to

So you Agree Experienced

Actually I was a programmer for many years (Assembly)

Or talk in a condescending way from a position of superiority to anyone who cant ( just like this post).

OK I did not check the instructions because I wanted to suggest to the OP that sticking with the official repo's is usually the best approach.

like all guidelines there are circumstances when they do not apply, but experience is needed to know when this applies.

I try to give advice suitable for the perceived experience of the OP & also keep in mind that other (even less experienced) users may be reading these posts. if. as is very likely, they have come from a windows environment they may not even be familiar with concept of the package manager as opposed to downloading an installer from the web. I know I wasn't when i first stared with Linux & it was my biggest stumbling block to moving over.

this I do agree with, there is no better way to learn about something than fixing something you have broken.

I did not "dismis it out of hand" I said it should be considered a last resort. in other words only use if a suitable alternative is not available

--
Ma Bell is a mean mother!
Reply to

Programming is reasonably trivial. What is NOT trivial is the build systems and the whole environment in every sense of the word on which a typical linux compile and build session occurs.

Mostly the dependencies, which in a distro are handled automagically.

In a hand compile, not only do you have to download the tar ball and explode it, you also have to install any libraries and header files upon which it depends, and hope like hell that the distro you have has library versions late enough to satisfy the code writers code, which may well have been written against later versions of those libraries.

And the error messages you get in terms, of missing header files or undefined constants because those header files are not as up to date as the code write used, are opaque: they do not automatically take you to the packages you need to install.

I too am a pretty experienced coder, but I do not step into 'compile from non-distro source' except as the ultimately last resort.

"Saki"
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The only thing I regard as 'trivially easy' about programming is the ease with which you can make stupid mistakes.

I've seen (and created) these covering the whole range from hard-wired logic to high level languages such as C++

--
W J G
Reply to

some wonderful examples in 'the register' at the moment

Today's classic was what '2^3' equates to.

To some languages that is two cubed, i.e. 8.

In C its binary 2 XOR 3, which is 1...

I had probably the worst possible bug I have ever tried to track down.

A particular function evaluated completely differently in IE6 JavaScript, to Firefox and Opera JavaScript.

It turned out to be an issue with implicit casting of strings to numbers and vice versa.

There is a rule for this, but my code accidentally found a grey area.

its shoes.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can you not just statically link the libraries?

Reply to
Rob Morley

That depends. And in any case that means modifying the makefile, yet another thing a newb don't know - and indeed many who have been coding for years.

People who do this stuff daily, know all that. But that's not the same as coding. Many coders will never ever touch a makefile system in a large project. That's down to Someone Else.

Installing from the distro is petty easy. apt-get package,. Even if its source package its no big deal,. but once you step outside of that you need a LOT of background knowledge to get the compile to work.

its shoes.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You said "don't to that" when "that" included getting it from the repo. You saw mention of a tgz and *assumed* it was a source tarball and went off half-cocked.

You didn't look at what was suggested and happily admit you didn't look and therefore, by definition, you dismissed it out of hand. It's one of the best examples of dismissing something out of hand I've seen for a long time.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Or, for a little more detail:

cat /proc/version

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Thank you. That is what I deleted

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

Thank you for that. It does not tell one whether its is Wheezy or Jessie though. Just lists Linux 4.1.13-v7. Just to maybe smooth the water I will say Linux is very new to me.

Malcolm

--
T M Smith
Using an ARMX6 and RISC OS 5.21 in the North Riding of Yorkshire
Reply to
T M Smith

I'd just like to say Horse Shit in reply.

--
When all else fails, try Kate Smith.
Reply to

In article (Dans l'article) ,

At , I read:

"Note: The OP is using Wheezy and the latest kernel version from raspberrypi-bootloader then is 4.1.7-v7+, while on jessie that version is 4.1.13-v7+ and that's a critical difference!"

--
Jean-Pierre Kuypers
Reply to