image display (particularly animated GIFs) without X11

What software, particularly anything provided by NOOBS, would work for playing scaled-to-fullscreen animated GIFs without the overhead of X11?

Because it may help people understand the desire:

A few months ago I saw at a Maker Faire, a room full of old televisions each one driven by a Pi displaying an ever changing selection of animated GIFs, each for a short while, and then new one. In that version each TV had a keyword theme that was being used to search for GIFs to play.

This inspired me, so I bought a pi (model A+) and have managed to get it working with a 5" portable TV as a the screen using the composite out from the 3.5mm jack. I'm sure I can easily find X11 software to do the video work, but I'd prefer something with less overhead.

I've tried emailing the guy who set them up at the Maker Faire, but he has not replied and after a week I'm doubtful he will.

Elijah

------ would like to have a Christmas GIF TV

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Rob Morley

Great idea. Some suggestions from search "framebuffer animated gif":

A. Dumas

I do actually use search engines before posting and I had found that. When I tried omxplayer it did nothing. Well it printed a line of text, but no images, no error messages, and it doesn't seem to have a verbose mode. The SimpleMC (where MC seems to be Media Center) there seems to be overkill.

I intend to try the zgv tool mentioned by the other respondent, but have not had the time yet.

Elijah

------ remembers a time before google

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Try 'fbi' - no, I'm not kidding.

Reply to
ray carter

I thought that was just a still image viewer. Animated GIFs are a must have. Does fbi/fim do animations?

Elijah

------ initial sources point to 'no'

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

AFAIK, most image viewers which handle gifs work with animated gifs - but I could be wrong.

Reply to
ray carter

Well, I couldn't have guessed from your post, nor from your other reply that you even fully read it. So suck it.

Reply to
A. Dumas

There are two standards for GIFs, "GIF87a" and "GIF89a", the latter allows more control of how multiple images are displayed.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I've installed fim now, and no, it did not animate my test GIF. Instead it only displayed the first frame, as is typical of image viewers that don't do animated GIFs. (For example "feh".)

Elijah

------ otherwise fim looks like a good program

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Is there a trick to getting zgv to work with a Raspberry? I could not find it as a pre-built package, only xzgv, which as the name implies needs X11. I grabbed the source and compiled it, but all I get is:

svgalib: Cannot find EGA or VGA graphics device.

Here:

?f=67&t=45591

Someone ("rpdom") replies:

That is not surprising as the Pi does not have a PC style VGA or EGA video hardware.

Would compiling it for SDL help? Reading about SDL on Pi implies there are some restrictions:

Having gotten a Pi with no networking, I'm finding sneakernet with modern high-dependency-count packages kind of tedious.

Has anyone here done this? Animated GIFs outside of X11?

Elijah

------ why couldn't that guy have published a guide?

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

I just googled a little bit and don't if you tried those:

Somewhere in these postings someone also suggested to convert the .gif to a video using ffmpg...

Reply to
Stefan Enzinger

I recognise that name from somewhere ;)

On the Pi? Not yet. On a Linux PC? Yes. mplayer works with the -vo fbdev option. The Pi has fbdev framebuffer support. Perhaps that will work? It'll probably need to install a heck of a lot of dependencies though...

Reply to
Dom

That's a crazy scheme I have not seen before: it's a python script to make a shell script (or cat'able file) with escape sequences to display an image as low resolution color block art. It's like AAlib but without the steroids.

I've already got gifsicle installed. That is one of my standard animated GIF create / edit tools. I can use that to explode to individual (unoptimized) GIF frames. From there I know how to create videos with mencoder, if I want to. (But I don't have either mplayer/mencoder or ffmpeg installed, now, on the Pi.)

At this point I'm thinking: fim can display still images easily, maybe I can script it to display single frames images fast enough that it looks like an animated GIF. In X11, I use feh for that purpose, it has subsecond precision on the -D delay option. In fim, one of the scripting options might let me do it.

Elijah

------ FbiStuffGif.cpp has nothing to indicate animation is in the works

Reply to
Eli the Bearded