IDE für Python

I love C, and I love smalltalk. I can tolerate java, up to a point. But I positively, intensively hate c++.

If you do object orientation, do it right. Or not at all.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad

Not if I can help it.

Just by doing what?

--
"I love the way that Microsoft follows standards.
 In much the same manner as fish follow migrating caribou."

Does their "Linux" download install on RPi, though? It's not in the standard apt-get repo.

Reply to
A. Dumas

+1

I program in C or Java for preference. Which one I use depends on what the task is - if it needs a GUI or I think it may also be run under Windows I'll use Java. Anything else is C unless its a one-off file processing script, in which case I'll probably use awk.

I can't abide C++, and in any case almost all the code I've seen that claims to be C++ is better described as ANSI C with '// comments'.

+1
--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Oh. Character mode; not even x-via-some-windows-frontend even?

Clicking on the meny, using the keyboard and mouse. You don't have to know a single emacs-positioning-command. (but they are there). Just use the arrows on the keyboard, pgup/down,backspace/delete and the menu on the top. Just like the simple "nano" editors. But there is so much more there. M-X make; e.g.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad

EMACS can do almost anything, the only thing it lacks is a good text editor

--
If an S and an I and an O and a U
With an X at the end spell Su;

I'm quite happy with C, and find C++ is actually an improvement on C - when taken to a reasonable extent. I'm constantly amazed that people are able to do anything with Java, which combines the the terseness of COBOL with the versatility of the DOS batch language.

That excludes Java, though :-)

Reply to
Raymond Wiker

Yep that was my impression - then I hit the point that I had two applications I liked but they both replaced one of the common classes with an enhanced version so I couldn't use both. At that point I concluded that smalltalk was cute but not practical.

C is great, but some things are hideously tedious in C.

Smalltalk is great - but you pretty much have to say the environment is the application.

Java is a PITA - actually the language isn't too bad but the culture, the frameworks, the class libraries and runtime environments are a living nightmare.

C++ is horrible in many ways, but it's more practical than C for a lot of things.

Both Java and C++ leave me feeling like I'm fighting the language and/or infrastructure most of the time, or at best threading my solution through the needle of the constraints they imply.

I find the implementation in interpreted languages, perl, PHP and particularly Python to be surprisingly good to use. Multiple inheritance in Python is a joy.

But we're way off topic.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

For one example, run the Towers of Hanoi demo:

M-x hanoi

or (for those with keyboards without a 'M-' key)

ESC x hanoi

If you give it a prefix argument, it will do that number of discs.

Have fun... :-)

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Err.. C# and C# compilers run fine on Linux.

Reply to
mm0fmf

mm0fmf schrieb am 20.02.2016 um 12:49:

GUI-Applications are not compatible between VisualStudio and MonoDevelop, to name one problem.

To name a second, tools have different names in Linux and Windows.

For experts it's no problem to switch. For beginners it's a burden.

Best, Marco.

Reply to
Marco Bakera

I think, from what you describe, you need cleverer beginners. Or beginners who are enthralled that they are going to be put in charge of a computer, even if it costs no more than takeaway meal for 6.

When I was beginning, it was BASIC on a PDP-8 with lots of paper tape punching and loading. That was when I was 12. It probably cost the equivalent of 2 years salary for the teacher who intoducing us to computers. I found it no problem to deal with the obscurity of tape or knowing to toggle bootstrap loaders. I was 12 and I was *ALLOWED* to touch a computer.

Holy shit, 12 and had access to a computer back in 1973. I'd have crawled through a sewer of turds and broken glass to get more access so learning the magic incantations would not be a problem.

There again, I wanted to learn how they worked.

YMMV and obviously does.

Reply to
mm0fmf

mm0fmf schrieb am 20.02.2016 um 13:53:

I cannot choose. :)

Hopefully they will be clever afterwards.

Therefore you are still posting into Newsgroups. You seem to be one of the clever ones. I have to deal with all kinds of prerequisites. :)

Best, Marco.

Reply to
Marco Bakera

He was responding to my post which is why he said "Visual Studio C#". Visual Studio doesn't run at all under Linux.

Reply to
Gordon Levi

Have you checked that recently? There's this nice cross platform version of VS that runs on Windows, Linux and OSX.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Thanks for the heads up on "Visual Studio Code" . I did not know about it. I don't think it is suitable for the OP because it is beta software and, as far as I can tell, it has only basic text editor support for Python.

Reply to
Gordon Levi

I mentioned that because you wrote "a decent tool is self documenting."

Reply to
Anssi Saari

A lot of people dismiss MS out of hand. Recently they have been doing lots of neat things such as open sourcing C#, making C# libs available for Linux, letting Linux VMs run on Azure, porting OpenSSH to make a native version. All good stuff, especially if like me, you work in both Windows and Linux worlds. I have a Win10 tablet that is really quite cute and surprisingly usable. It's a snappy portable terminal for browsing, email, PuTTY, VNCing etc. especially as it only has a wee Atom CPU.

Then they bugger up the goodwill they are starting to generate with dumb Win10 policies and upgrades that do "stoopid" things and bork your settings.

*sigh*
Reply to
mm0fmf

Thats interesting news. Thanks for the heads-up.

Is it just the library OpenSSH library and a version of sshd for Win 10 or have they also ported the command line tools (ssh, scp and sftp)?

What about a graphical console, i.e. a workalike for PuTTY? That would also be nice if only to get away from the somewhat crufty font that PuTTY uses, and an Xterm would be even nicer.

How its this stuff distributed, i.e. how would an RPi user with a Windows PC get hold of it?

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

More info just a google away.