Howdy... pi noob

My understanding is that PRO editions by default start WiFi before login, while Home editions start after login. I am fairly sure there is a registry setting which controls this, but I can't remember where.

The reason for the above would be to allow Domain Controllers to supply settings obver wireless (not applicable to home editions) while home machines have the potential for different users to use different wireless setups.

Another reason to always go for PRO.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk

I ordered a 'special offer' RPi (and Raspbian SD card and camera card) from RS last Wednesday, had an email saying they had been dispatched yesterday, and received the package by special delivery today. What good service.

The RPi is green, says 'Made in UK' on the pcb, and was in packing which says the same.

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK
Brian Carroll

On 30/08/2013 21:43, Alan Adams wrote: []

Thanks, Alan. I did test with PRO so that fits with your understanding. A Google search with:

windows start wifi before login

produces a few suggested fixes, including:

"Find the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key.

"Add a string value to the above mentioned key. Call it anything (WLAN prelogon), but its value should be %comspec% /c netsh wlan connect name=""

--
Cheers,
David

But you said: setting up Wi-Fi on Windows doesn't require any registry editing at all. Maybe that wasn't really true?

Reply to
Rob

I have only experience with PRO editions, e.g. XP PRO, and it depends on the manufacturer of the WiFi adapter, and thus on the driver, how it really works. Same for UMTS adapters. There is built-in code for WiFi management in Windows, but on the laptops we have the WiFi is usually from Intel Centrino, and it has its own set of control programs.

Of course. However, it is not easy. You need to decide the AP name beforehand, which is usually not practical. Maybe it is OK when a large managed WiFi system is present at a location, but in our case we usually want to use it for laptops that are taken home and the WiFi is used as a transport for a VPN. The WiFi UI should have been available on the logon screen, just as the VPN connection is.

Reply to
Rob

On 31/08/2013 07:03, Rob wrote: []

Certainly, I have never needed to alter any registry entries to set up Wi-Fi in all the Windows installations I've done, and that's likely true for the majority of users.

But using Google, I was able to confirm Alan's recollection, and the registry editing solution was just one alternative, the other used the Group Policy editor. When I was managing Windows Domains, for good security we didn't allow Wi-Fi anywhere near it!

--
Cheers,
David

Yes, but that is the same for Linux. It is usually possible to set things up with wizards and gui tools but when things get hairy you need to know what you are doing.

Of course the WiFi is not connected to the LAN. What we have is a WiFi that connects to internet, and VPN setups on the laptops that connect via that WiFi and internet to a VPN router that connects to the LAN. Those VPNs are protected by certificates and 2nd factor authentication. So, a teleworker can take the laptop home, select "use dialup connection", start the VPN and logon to the domain. But that only works when the WiFi is already operational at that point.

Making that work OK is not trivial. You don't know the AP name and credentials, users must be able to select the AP and key in the password. But that cannot be done before they are logged on. When they logon without VPN they can locally connect the WiFi and start the VPN, but then they are not logged on to the domain, and that cannot be done later.

So, they need to login locally, enter the WiFi credentials and store them (only once for each WiFi) and then logout and logon again, this time with the VPN.

This only works after registry tweaks, because normally the WiFi will disconnect when you log out, and nothing has changed the next time you are at the logon screen.

Reply to
Rob

You can't run Windows on a Pi. Therefore all this win/linux advocacy is totally irrelevant. There are plenty of newsgroups where this discussion is welcome. Please take it there!

Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

And they moan about editing a wpa-supplicant config file...

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed! I do hope that the GUI-based Wi-Fi setup works better for others than it did for me. Does it normally work?

--
Cheers,
David

On 31/08/2013 10:36, The Natural Philosopher wrote: []

Well, no, the moan was that the NOOBS GUI Wi-Fi setup didn't work. Having to edit files was consequence of that failure.

Does the GUI Wi-Fi configuration normally work OK? If we could find out what the problem was it might help other NOOBS in the same position.

I'll not respond further to Rob's interesting comments since, as Tony says, it's getting off-topic.

--
Cheers,
David

not sure about raspbian, but in my (Mint) laptop, the gui tools actually edit the underlying files, so wifi comes up before the desktop does.,

There's a useful tool which really helped to get my wifi optimised, in terms of antenna angle and that was iwconfig.

iwconfig wlan0 IIRC showed the data rates errors rates and signal strength.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think they do, but the way in which they do is suboptimal.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 31/08/2013 12:10, The Natural Philosopher wrote: []

Yes, that's available for the RPi as well. Handy for a quick check. I don't have signal issues here, and I'm showing 72/100 signal and 150 Mb/s bit rate. No bad packets.

--
Cheers,
David