Howdy... pi noob

Well, RS did continue some production in China for some time after Farnell switched to 100% UK assembled products, and it is possible that third party suppliers may have stockpiles of those Rev2 Pis that they bought in bulk to get the discounts. Not so much in the UK, but more probably in other countries.

Reply to
Dom

Hm. I was under the impression that both RS & Farnell had switched way back. Obviously not, but it looks like RS is just flusing out older stock then..

So if you really really want to guarantee a UK Pi, then buy directly from Farnell... My Red Pi was via a friend of a friend in Hong Kong...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

On 27/08/2013 19:19, Rob Morley wrote: []

Most helpful, Rob, thanks for posting.

As a matter of interest, RS part 785-8654:

Large outer bag: "Made in the United Kingdom" Small white bag with SD card: "Made in the United Kingdom" Purple box with Raspberry Pi B: "Made in China" On the Raspberry Pi PCB: "Made in China"

Confused, or what?

--
Cheers,
David

Until very recently they were all made in China.

I expect that as long as you don't run out of ram the card is immaterial.

I've not seen any brand that's univerally good.

Recent pis have two 3mm holes for mounting

All the cases I've seen used clips or clamps to hold the card I expect to see cases that use the mounting holes in the future.

power consumption (and thefore heat produced) is about 4W so don't pack it in insulating foam.

This is about the same heat production as a typical 8 port 10/100 switch

which would you prefer to use?

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Playing with my Pi encouraged me to take a closer look at GNU/Linux as a desktop operating system, after many years with Windoze. After trying a few distros out in VirtualBox, instead of buying Windoze 7 (which I quite liked the look of) I spent less than half the cost on a new 1TB HDD and installed Debian. I now use that (mostly with Gnome Classic with transparency enabled) for all of my real work. It's the best setup I've ever used, by a long way.

Reply to
Hils

Made in the UK since September 2012 - which in Pi life terms is more than half its current lifetime of 17 months....

However as I found out here recently only Farnell switched to UK production at that time, RS continued on with China, but have now moved (or are moving to) UK production.

So to guarantee a UK made Pi, buy Farnell until after about October when RS should have caught up...

Sandisk. But most of the issues I've seen have been caused by poor quality unbrnaded, or copies of branded cards.

Class 10 might not give you any advantage over a Class 6. I do see less latency with Class 6 cards over Class 4 though. C10 is optimised for streaming, but booting Linux requires lots of little file random access - if you can tolerate a slightly longer boot time, then C10 might give you a fraction of an advantage, but I suspect there's not much in it. The Pi's SD interface appears to be limited to 20MB/sec anyway.

Technically they're not mounting holes and you are warned to not put too much stress on them.... Apparently they're used for part of the alignment process during manufacture.

I use a combination of PiBow cases and SKPang plates (with breadboards) for my Pi's. I have an Adafruit case too.

Yea - lots of creative solutions have been employed!

Heat isn't normally an issue. They do run hot - and are designed to run at up to 80C. (And designed to throttle down if you're overclocking them when they get much hotter than that)

Quite. HDMI to DVI adapters are cheap - the down-side with that approach is that there won't be any sound out the DVI monitor, but using the HDMI TV you'll get sound.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

fcvo "recently". UK production started about a year ago and Farnell stopped using the Chinese produced Pis as soon as they could (I've got a couple of "Made in UK" model As made at the beginning of this year). RSwere a bit slower, but they have also switched to sourcing Pis from the UK only.

Up to you if you want a case. I don't use any, but they are good to protect your Pi from accidents like touching any metal.

They are not officially mounting holes. They are to locate the Pi on the test rig at the end of production. As they are not designed to be used for mounting you will need to be careful how much force is used on them and any screws/posts are not a tight fit in the holes or it could damage the circuit board.

There are some cases that use the holes, which means they are useless on earlier versions of the Pi :(

A few ventilation holes in a case is all that is required. After all, the SoC is the same as used in some mobile phones, and when do you see a small one of those with heatsinks, ventilation and cooling fans? ;)

Reply to
Dom

heh heh.... snagged another one. ;)

I hafta laugh, listening to all the ppl on rec.food.cooking rag on how bad W8 is. When will they learn. For all the time they've spent (and $$$) dealing with Windoze nightmares, you'd think they'd put jes a modicum of effort into learning linux.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Got mine, yesterday. Purchased from Allied (US). Wht box sez RS. Made in China. I know I originally claimed concern, but I really don't give a rat's ass who made it as long as it works. ;)

I think I got all the necessary connectors, so will do a shakedown tomorrow. Stay tuned for more idiot noob fun. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Are you sure about that? The way I read it, RS said they were going to be using some Chinese production for the foreseeable future.

Reply to
Rob Morley

On 29/08/2013 12:32, notbob wrote: []

No problems with Windows-8 here, it works nicely, thank you. Runs all the software I use, and has some nice features as well. The trick - install a program like ClassicShell (free) and the UI looks just like the Win-7 we know and love (or an earlier UI version, if you wish). Stability is excellent. I see Win-8 as an improved version of Win-7. Perhaps you would like to pass that along to you culinary acquaintances?

I do prefer Windows to Linux with all its incompatible variants and arcane naming of command-line functions (no, the GUI Wi-Fi configuration on the RPi didn't work for me this time, and I had to revert to editing wpa_supplicant related files, sigh).

Don't think I'm asking for a GUI for everything, I am quite used to the command line with Windows, as I was with VMS many years back, and I use scheduled .BATjobs on all my PCs.

--
Cheers,
David
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Taylor

er wot? they are mostly binary compatible actually!

you prefer to edit the registry instead? strange man.

The real issue is more 'is there somewhere on the net someone else who has thoughtfully provided an answer to the exact problem I have?

Maintaning linux may well be a leetle more gross on occasion, but at least there is generally is an answer. Beyond 'reinstall OSX/Windows'

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A friend has just received - last week - a pi from RS. Green board with CE and FCC markings, and "made in china".

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

Fair enough. I sit corrected ;-)

Reply to
Dom

Linux has multiple installation methods and formats, and could require i386, amd64, arm and mac variants. A single binary doesn't suffice, whereas on Windows a single setup.exe usually does.

Remarkably, setting up Wi-Fi on Windows doesn't require any registry editing at all. I wonder how they do that? On the Raspberry Pi NOOBS software the graphical method simply didn't work here.

In twenty years of using Windows, I don't ever recall having to "re-install Windows" to fix software problems, although I do confess to using Restore Points on, perhaps, just two occasions. Of course, if a hard disk has been replaced I have either re-installed or restored from a backup. I have found little difference between Linux and Windows in searching for problem solutions on the Web.

I hope you have passed on my suggestion for making Windows-8 more like Windows-7.

--
Cheers,
David
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Taylor

On Windows it can be very tricky to setup WiFi in such a way that it becomes active when the machine is booted, not when the user has logged in and the desktop is displayed.

Reply to
Rob

On 30/08/2013 08:51, Rob wrote: []

I've not seen that problem, Rob, but most of my PCs do automatically log into the user account.

However, I've just tested it on a Windows-8 PC which doesn't log in automatically (the only PC I can reboot without interfering with something), and I could ping it and use ntpq against it /before/ the user was logged in. So I am unable to reproduce that problem, at least on Windows-8.

--
Cheers,
David
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Taylor

When you want to log in to a domain, the network has to be up before the user logs in.

Maybe they have finally fixed it. I have had to do a lot of fiddling with the registry on Windows PCs to set this up.

Same with UMTS PCMICA cards. Modern laptops with built-in UTMS often have a user-accessible checkmark for the setting.

Reply to
Rob

One of the things I read when finding out more about this was that there was mention of it not being until October until RS had fully switched from .cn to .uk production. So a few weeks yet...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

The snagging happened a long time ago, when I set up my first PC as a dual boot Linux/Windoze system. Unfortunately, Linux's strengths at that time were outweighed by Windoze's, one of which was that I was using a lot of Windoze software at work and was increasingly taking work home with me.

For some years, some of the first software I installed after reinstalling Windoze were ports of ls, grep, cron and Emacs. When the Raspberry Pi prompted me to look at current GNU/Linux distros I realised that they can now do almost all of the cool things I was doing on Windoze.

And without the NSA/GCHQ backdoors. :-)

And the more you learn, the less you have to put your trust in Micro$oft, Apple, Google, etc.

Reply to
Hils