How to upgrade from Raspbian 7 to 8 to 9?

I have a pi running Raspbian GNU/Linux 7.

How can I move this to newer versions? I'd prefer not to do a clean install as that would involve restoring all my bits and pieces of customisation.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Hi,

It's like a classical upgrade on debian.

There is also rpi-update for the kernel (may read the man to select the good kernel for the release).

Reply to
yamo'

Ah, thank you. Looking on the Raspberry Pi site it said that just doing 'apt dist-upgrade' should do it - but it didn't. The above tells me *why* dist-upgrade didn't work and how to do the job properly.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Did you remember to do apt-get update first?

--

-TV
Reply to

Yes.

'apt dist-upgrade' will only upgrade if the sources.list file has 'stable' in it rather than wheezy or jessie or stretch. Mine had wheezy in it so I needed to change all wheezy to jessie.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Don't forget to also make that change to any files in /etc/apt/ sources.list.d subdirectory.

Reply to
ray carter

Of course, not that I had anything there as mine is a minimal Pi installation with virtually nothing added.

I did discover it was still running Logitech Music Server (which I no longer need) and that was using a *lot* of storage.

--
Chris Green
Reply to