How to move /boot or /boot/firmware on Raspbian buster?

Hi,

Small version :

My Raspbian is chrooted on an usb disk but the /boot is still on the sd card. My /boot is too small to update the kernel (60M)... The kernel version I have on buster : 4.19.58-v7+ #1245 SMP Fri Jul 12 17:25:51 BST 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

How can I fix it?

Long version :

I've (not exactly...) followed this tutorial :

This machine is used for an NNTP server, you can see the notes I wrote at the installation :

In my installation this was /boot and not /boot/firmware which was mounted. I would like to move /boot on the / and keep the minimal data on the SD card for booting (/boot/firmware ?) When I tried it yesterday to do that, I had an error with rpi-update :

/dev/root: not a block device

I can also create another /boot on the sd but there is already 6 partitions on the sd card... And how if I can?

Now I think I have restored the boot normally...

# rpi-update *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom *** Performing self-update *** Relaunching after update *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom Partition size 60M may not be sufficient for new Pi4 files This could result in a system that will not boot.

256M FAT partition is recommended. Ensure you have a backup if continuing. Would you like to proceed? (y/N)

*N* !!!

# lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sda 8:0 0 465,8G 0 disk ??sda1 8:1 0 20,5G 0 part / ??sda2 8:2 0 1G 0 part ??sda3 8:3 0 444,3G 0 part ??VgData-LvVarSpool 254:0 0 71G 0 lvm /mnt ??VgData-LvDataHome 254:1 0 30G 0 lvm /home ??VgData-LvDataBackup 254:2 0 40G 0 lvm /backup ??VgData-LvSwap2 254:3 0 4G 0 lvm [SWAP] mmcblk0 179:0 0 7,4G 0 disk ??mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 813,3M 0 part ??mmcblk0p2 179:2 0 1K 0 part ??mmcblk0p3 179:3 0 32M 0 part ??mmcblk0p5 179:5 0 60M 0 part /boot ??mmcblk0p6 179:6 0 6,5G 0 part

I use the SD card only for booting. In case of trouble, I want to keep the original raspbian system which is on the SD card but I didn't have personal data on mmcblk0p6 so I can reduce it safely.

Thanks by advance!

--

Sorry for mistakes in English...
Reply to

Make the boot partition on the SD card bigger.

If you are using a USB for the root filing system, you can use all of the SD card for boot if want.

umount /boot (and any other partition on the card which has been mounted), use gparted to resize the partitions, then do a mount -a

---druck

Reply to
druck

It was so simple that I didn't think of it...

I never used the X server on this installation.

Reply to
yamo'

Done!

Had to install a lot of packages.

But I had to edit /etc/fstab (gparted wanted to mount it all times.... ) and then extend to 128Mo!

And then cannot extend the *filesystem* to 256 or more :(

Reply to
yamo'