How's rPi for non-hhtp: Gmail?

One reason why I mocked the absurdity of 'needing' a decrypted ethernet system to access the files of your rPi, 2 meters away [PC rPi] is the annoyance from the fact that my 90's perfect email system has been "upgraded" to a frustrating gmail facility.

In my 3rd [going 4th] world location, the new/remaining ISPs can only operate like CocaCola/KFC franchises: being managed by US corporations.

So, I accept that I'm forced to use gmail with ssh, TLS ..blabla. Documentation on setting up the SSH for gmail via pop, refers to use of `fetchmail`. I don't want to get married to fetchmail, and would prefer to confirm with rPi's email facilities.

BTW: rPi + keybrd + old-RCA:B/W monitor + 3g-dongle; works fantastically. And setting a bigger than default FONT is OK for 3rd-world PAL-TV displays.

How do you handle your email by rPi, via ppp with a 3G-dongle, without ethernet?

==TIA.

Reply to
fld

Whether you use ethernet from the pi to a dsl modem or dial the ppp connection yourself over a gsm modem is entirely irrelevant to the software used to access servers on the internet... Pick a client that runs on linux...

Guesser

This guy is notoriously trolling comp.sys.raspberry-pi. Please don't waste your time discussing with him.

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  -- Alia

I'll waste my time however I so please.

Reply to
Guesser

Don't waste *our* time, then.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I just don't understand complaints like this. Why are you reading threads by a notorious troll? Why are *you* replying to them?

Reply to
Guesser

I killfiled him. If it weren't for your reply, I wouldn't have seen the whole thing. Unuspectingly, I opened your post. And there he was, and by extension you, and now me, wasting all our time.

No winners here.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Two Trolls in one thread?

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

So instead of posting you ignore the thread, any decent newsreader should be able to unsubscribe from a thread, then you won't have to see it ever again. If you have insufficient willpower to do so manually I'm sure there must be software that can hide any thread or subthread a certain user has posted in. Or you could unplug your computer and be sure of never accidentally reading something that is unacceptable to you.

If I wanted to be told what threads I am and am not allowed to reply to then I'd go and find a moderated web forum instead.

Reply to
Guesser

Oh you can save your time and everyone else's replying cause I'm unsubscribing from this group anyway. Yeah, I know hooray, good riddance. I'll come back if I ever do anything interesting with my pi.

Reply to
Guesser

As you are also unknown/dog/pdf9/fld etc, can we assume you'll also be taking the rest of your schizoid personalities with you?

Or do I have to pass this on to Wilfried Giesenhagen?

---druck

Reply to
druck

I doubt you will.

-- Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you killfile any mention of a troll in a message, whether header or body, properly attributed replies will also be caught before they offend your sensibilities.

Reply to
Rob Morley

The QUESTION asks "How's rPi non-http: Gmail?"

  1. gmail's default mode is http, cos they wnt to push sales inYoFace.
  2. pop/imap to gmail is apparently possible.

Some HOW2s write eg , but I don't see GEARS or other cartoons, since I don't use a graphic browser.

  1. obviously, all other things being equal, for rPi emailing, one would start with the default emailer of rPi; but, stangely I don't find one.
  2. There are several hurdles to setting up pop:gmail; eg, unusual ports and the . So you wouldn't want to use a problematic emailer as well. Ie. installing a non-default emailer to rPi could make the hurdle-trail too much.

BTW. do you kiddies ever discuss technical matters, rather than PERSONALITIES on this forum? Doesn't F/B etc. cater better for personality-fairies?

Reply to
Unknown

Yeah. Insult the folks you're asking for help. That always works.

--
roger ivie
rivie@ridgenet.net

Happy and well and living ion Tonga.

That's not a question, that's a statement plus some polemic.

As is that.

Why would there be?

not a question.

No there aren't.

So you wouldn't want to use a

You seem to have bought a raspberry pi under the impression it was a smart phone tablet or Windows machine.

So far that is the first question you have asked, and its not a technical one, its abut personalities.

No it doesn't which is why you are in the position you are in.

You don't have a technical problem. You have a personality problem.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its not asking for help: its trolling. Any help provided to it is ignored and after a bit the question, if there was one, gets auto-repeated.

Ignore it and it might go away.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

This forum is for ADULTS to exchange TECHNICAL knowledge. Those who feel lonely and which to stalk NAMES of personalities, should move to the girly's social media.

== TIA.

Reply to
Unknown

My fairly old copy doesn't appear to have any installed, but since email is ususable without an internet connection is it not being pre-installed really a problem?

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

That's bad reasoning! My 90's ETHOberon-mail was superior to new crap. Then when the ISP introduced TX.Authenticate I just patched it. Then I changed location and lost my telco-line and the ISP couldn't handle . The abusive monopolists move the goal-posts so that your proven systems fail, to sell you new stuff.

I don't want cron-jobs to take control. I use the artillery method: on-line for only a minute or two; and doing all-my-shopping-in-one-trip.

You seem to both be ignoring the encryption layer PROBLEMS for gmail, or is that only for their http?

Reply to
Unknown