How good is the graphics display in the Pi?

I was just wondering if someone could use a Pi as a low cost web
surfer.

Would a Pi work to use a TV as a monitor?

I was thinking that living in an area where there is no Internet
access or in homes that can't afford Internet access could use a phone
to tether to the Pi and use the TV as a monitor to do Facebook and web
surfing.

Re: How good is the graphics display in the Pi?

I'm not sure why you would need to use an rPi in place of a computer
just because you are using a phone as your Internet connection, but
sure, why not?

I tried using an early rPi model B and it was not a very good platform
for a browser because it was so slow and had such limited memory.  You
might think web surfing would not require much from a computer, but the
early rPi was a bit too lame.  I have heard of others using the faster 2
and the 3 is a quad core.  One of those two would be much better than
the original that I have.

--

Rick C

Re: How good is the graphics display in the Pi?
In a mad moment - Seymore4Head  mumbled :

I have a Zero Pi stuck on the back of  cheap 24" Celcus TV
(from Sainsbury), powered by the USB socket of the TV.
(Max 50mA output)

You would need a small USB hub, Powered,if you want to work with a
Keyboard and/or Mouse. Also USB to Net adaptor.

 Works fine here 1360 x 768, 60Hz 16M colours.
 Resolution will go tp 1920 x 1080, but my eyes won't.

Note - The 32" version of this TV does NOT have full HD display.

--

|)ryn [vans            mail to - snipped-for-privacy@bryork.freeuk.com

Re: How good is the graphics display in the Pi?

Yes.
Make sure you connect up the HDMI lead to the monitor before
you power-on the Pi, or it won't use the HDMI video output.

The problem you may have is that the Pi is under-powered and
short on memory to run a modern browsers. Works, but slow.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Re: How good is the graphics display in the Pi?

tto:

there is a config.txt command to force HDMI on, even if no cable is connect
ed (google for it)

Bye Jack

Re: How good is the graphics display in the Pi?

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options
Normally, if you already have the hdmi cable connected and the Pi
understands your TV's hdmi info which is almost always, you won't need
any of this. But to be absolutely sure, you need:

# Usually the next one does the trick but this to make sure
# that you can manually set any mode you like
# Why the large number and not just 0/1, I have no idea
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

# The main "force hdmi" setting
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# Now that you forced it and ignored auto settings, you need to specify
# an HDMI mode to use. 1 for TV modes with sound, 2 for computer monitor
# modes without sound, see the two long lists of modes in link above
hdmi_group=1

# 16 for 1080p 60 Hz (probably good in NTSC countries)
# 31 for 1080p 50 Hz (probably good in PAL countries)
hdmi_mode31%

You also need to do this for headless Pis to which you want to connect
with VNC, to avoid a standard 640x480 desktop.

Re: How good is the graphics display in the Pi?

Yes, all those are possibles.
--
Fra

Re: How good is the graphics display in the Pi?
Or buy a cheap tablet.

Site Timeline