headless noobs

I'm about to take delivery of my second pi. The first one came with raspian pre-installed, but I understand the current default is NOOBS. I have never used the display/keyboard on a pi, and I don't really intend to start now.

So, question: Can I just plug up ethernet, and expect NOOBS to work with SSH?

Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

With NOOBS, you need a keyboard and HDMI display to select the initial OS install. At least, that's what I've found.

--
Cheers,
David

I'm fairly sure NOOBS needs screen/keyboard to get going, but if you have the capacity, just get a blank SD card and install Raspbian directly onto it...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Thanks to you both, David and Gordon, for the information.

It is as I feared; what a crock! They called that an *improvement*? I ordered my pi with noobs, but, as you suggest, I'll just have to overwrithe the SD with a downloaded raspian!

Thanks again!

Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

Raspbian. But yeah, naming it Raspian would have been better, I think. I also think Noobs (or worse, NOOBS) is a really antagonizing name, at least it is to me. The name alone makes me want to wipe the card and start afresh. Petty, I know.

I guess for most (targeted/intended?) users, Noobs is a slightly better choice than Raspbian alone. Plus it promotes OS diversity which is always good for a hobby computer.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Why? You only have to connect keyboard and screen once, to set it up. After that your chosen OS can run headless.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk

Two of my 3 Pi have never seen a screen, and the third one has a screen but still it has never seen a keyboard or mouse.

I don't even have a USB keyboard here at home... (my keyboard is an IBM Model M and the MB still has a PS/2 input)

Reply to
Rob

Well, it's obvious really. You need to have a convenient keyboard and screen lying around.

In my case, it's a lot easier to re-flash the SD than to dismantle my existing setup just for the purpose of setting up the PI.

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

... and, it turns out to be remarkably easy: Download the image; unzip it; dd to the sd card; and that's it!

A lot easier than crawling under my desk disconnecting things, and worse, reconnecting them afterwards.

Cheers, Tony

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

You can also mount the SD on another machine and edit things there.

Does anybody have a list of what needs to change to get a noobs system running headless?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.
Reply to

"Remote NOOBS control over the network and downloadable images are on the long-term road-map."

Rob Morley

As people have found, if you are planning to do anything advanced like running headless, then NOOBS is probably not the installer for you.

However, I believe that if you delete all the OS image files *except* the one you wish to install *before* booting the NOOBS card, then NOOBS will automatically install the remaining image and reboot into it without needing any input.

Reply to
Dom