hdmi->vga

I've been looking for a hdmi->vga adapter for a different purpose but also to get one for my pi*. They all seem to get mixed reviews /but/ I've used many dvi->vga converters without even thinking about the fact they must be doing a DA conversion. They just worked. Supposedly, hdmi->dvi can adapted with a cable that maps the matching pins, so shouldn't hdmi->dvi->vga ``just work''? Has anybody tried it? ('course the adapter stack will be as big as the pi...)

My understanding is that while dvi has pins for analog signal few video cards actually output on those pins.

r^2

*installed cable for projection system is vga. For mi py hdmi->dvi would probably take care of all my needs, but it exists to play with).
Reply to
colonel_hack

Keep in mind that there are different types of DVI connectors. DVI-D is digital only, and is the only type that will be compatible with HDMI. When you were able to do DVI to VGA in the past, you must have had either DVI-A (analog only) or DVI-I (integrated, both analog and digital). HDMI to DVI adapters are DVI-D only. It won't just work with a DVI to VGA adapter, unfortunately. You'll definitely need a converter rather than a simple adapter.

Reply to
wjwlsn

i.e. if you plug two adaptors together to give you hdmi->dvi->vga, then the HDMI adaptor will connect only to the digital DVI pins and the VGA adaptor will connect only to the analogue DVI pins, so the two adaptors plugged together will simply form an open circuit.

Reply to
Dave Farrance

Thanks. You summarized it much better than I did.

Reply to
wjwlsn

The adage 'Less Is More' is quite often true.

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

Especially in GNU userland.

Reply to
wjwlsn

I have seen some demos hdmi->vga on youtube. The outcome is that they don't just work in general as plug'n play. You need to configure it to the specific environment, e.g. pi* and vga type by taylored settings. However, once configured then it does work.

Reply to
johannes

There's RasPi wiki info about HDMI -> VGA.

Firstly, it says: "HDMI to VGA cables DO NOT WORK!"

Dysfunctional straight HDMI to VGA cables can be bought from Chinese Ebay vendors. To actually work, these would require a video card that outputs VGA via an HDMI connector. Does anything do this?

Then the wiki mentions HDMI -> VGA converter boxes, and some cables with built-in adaptors, which can be made to work.

E.g.: This one from Amazon:

Start off with this in the /boot/config.txt to get it working, then experiment with increasing the HDMI resolution to match your monitor (Google for the details).

hdmi_safe=0 disable_overscan=0 hdmi_drive=2 config_hdmi_boost=4

Reply to
Dave Farrance