hdmi and/or composite audio delay

When watching videos (YT or LAN-based MP4 files) on my RPi 3B+ (Raspbian), there is a distinct delay of the audio, causing it to lag behind the video by as much as about 1 second. This occurs with full hdmi->tv and also with hdmi-to-DVI cable to monitor plus audio out from the composite jack. I would like to watch some YT videos but find the lack of sync very distracting.

Is there some way to minimize this, or is it a hardware limitation? I've done some googling, but didn't find an answer.

neil

Are you sure this is an RPi issue? I've been seeing this distracting lack of sync everywhere now, including regular TV.

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

On a sunny day (Mon, 21 May 2018 18:16:37 -0400) it happened neil wrote in :

Apart from what the reason can be, some players have an audio delay adjustment option, in mplayer for example, just use the + and - keys.

So check the documentation of whatever mediaplayer you use.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

To start, I wouldn't trust video out via hdmi + audio out via analogue to be lag free, but maybe it is officially supported, I don't know. Otherwise make sure it's not: a) actual lag in the file/stream b) the file/stream format (e.g. h.265 or mpeg-2/vc-1 without

c) your network (or the Pi's connection to it) d) your tv/monitor or hdmi cable (not sure how the cable would affect lag but just to make absolutely sure) by playing a file *with omxplayer from the command line* in h.264 format (for which the Pi has hardware acceleration), max 1080p30 not 4k, stored locally on the SD card, and which you previously tested on another computer/device using the same screen & cable.

*Only* omxplayer has hardware acceleration.
Reply to
A. Dumas

Pictures early, that makes a change they are normally late.

There is a significant delay between a particular picture event arriving at the TV on HDMI and that event appearing on the screen. This delay is known by the TV and the sound is normally automatically delayed to match.

Digital video/audio streams can get their timing knickers in a twist and to un twist them may need a complete power down of everything. I've even had the stereo swapped over not just an pictures/sound event sync problem.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks to all for replies. I'll keep working on the problem, let you know if anything changes.

neil