Handheld Raspberry Pi for remote data entry

My mental image resembles a Palm Pilot using a USB connection or flash drive to transfer data to home computer.

If I can't find a pre-assembled unit I need at least a BOM (including enclosure) of a kit of parts known to work together.

Raspbian is intended OS.

My searches have been unproductive, primarily due to unfamiliarity with the Raspberry Pi market.

Suggestions? TIA

Reply to
Richard Owlett

What is this to be used for and what will it have in the way of keyboards, screens etc? How is it to be powered? If you provided that sort of detail you might get better advice.

Meanwhile, try Rapid Electronics:

They sell a 7" touch screen with adapter and a clear ABS case to contain the RPi, adapter and screen. The case isn't weatherproof and doesn't appear to have space for any other expansion boards or a battery, which may or may not be important for you.

OTOH, if you know anything about epoxy/glass composites or 3D printing, it may be useful as the basis for a custom enclosure.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

When I mentioned this over on comp.mobile.android, I was thinking of things like:

obviously without the GSM module.

These days you would probably use a Pi Zero for a smaller form factor. Making a nice enclosure is entirely your own problem...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Subtly answered wrong question. It addresses question of "What can Pi do?" I ask "what can Pi do for me?"

The page does however suggest "How to search?"

Reply to
Richard Owlett

If this is for production/utility and not your tinker hobby then a cheap smartphone is probably 10 times better than anything you can build yourself for the same money.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Unless there are any security or privacy implications. But it's clear that to the vast majority of users security and privacy are trivially trumped by convenience.

I have a Pi with touchscreen, for which I'm working on a 3d-printable case design, but power is the major problem.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

Definitely. However, I imagined he needed custom software and it would be needed and/or convenient to root the device anyway, after which one could presumably remove/disable all phone-home crap (I never did this, is it conceivable, easy even?)

Reply to
A. Dumas

Initial hardware cost is a minimal factor. Smartphone manufacturers put as many roadblocks as feasible to prevent purchaser using the purchased device in ways that the vendor hadn't thought of {e.g. rooting device voids warranty}.

Application is definitely situation specific. *HOWEVER* fairly similar projects have surfaced in past which is why I had investigated the Palm Pilot when it first came out. Current project has more motivation. Also, as I'm now retired, I have time conveniently to do custom programming.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Privacy is an important factor. In fact there is at least one commercial apt available. However it is designed around storing personal data in the cloud.

Sir, nobody has ever deemed me typical ;/

A case is a definite problem. I have neither the hardware nor expertise to design/fabricate a case.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

If you can use hand tools and epoxy, then you can make perfectly adequate cases from 1.6mm plywood and/or epoxy-glass plate and assemble them with epoxies such as Araldite or, if made of ply, PVA or other white wood glues.

If you haven't got these skills, then as a retiree, you've got the time to acquire them.

Using 'found' enclosures is also a good option: my RPi is now housed in a transparent octagonal box that used to hold Mirabelle Mozartkugeln.

Buy a pack of Mozartkugeln for Xmas, install the RPi in the box after New Year.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

Why make life hard? Buy a cheap Android phone from eBay, write app in Java/C++, use app on phone. Don't insert a SIM card and it can't phone home etc. The phone becomes a nice terminal with your custom software.

Or pig about making cases out of glued up Lego bricks etc. and try to make device not look like something the Steampunk community would laugh at.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Reply to
Andreas Neumann

Interesting. It gives me ideas and allow me to think about cases as a sequentially last item.

Reply to
Richard Owlett