Fixed IP address problems

Pi works perfectly well as dhcp/dns server (dnsmasq) (wired router w/o dhcp), firewall via 3G adapter, also LAMP, postfix, openssh etc. OK, there's only me on the network, but it works. Worked with both Slackware and Raspian.

--

Chris Elvidge
England

of

acceptable to

That works if it's always on the same subnet, but what if you wanted to sneaker-net it with a back-pocket port to a friends home Ethernet and you still want to resolve the domain name as URL? Or if you wanted to expose the r.pi directly to the net with a static IP (perhaps in the de-militarized zone of your home network (as perhaps a fairly secure and inexpensive website server.)) One would want to name the r.pi device domain. Then routers pick up and propagate the association in router tables. So, not being content with this happy state of affairs, I decided to fix

the Pi's IP address.

domain raspberrypi (which would be an absolutely horrible conflict outside your home net, so pick a domain you got from godady if you are static IP raw to the internet) Isn't there a line which would set the host name?

I have an Axis 200 camera which is a web server, and the name is set on the router. First boot the camera with IP address, netmask and gateway then use a pc or terminal on the same subnet to manipulate the ARP table and associate a name to the IP address. (open CMD, type "arp -?" for help, exit to close CMD)

I thought I remembered setting a line in the camera's CONFIG file (in FTP - "put config CONFIG")

Gee, I thought I was answering the question of domain name assignment, and ended up more confused from half remembered domain name assignment to equipment from days of yore.

.-- All ladders in the Temple of the Forbidden Eye have thirteen steps. There are thirteen steps to the gallows, firing squad or any execution. The first step is denial... Don't be bamboozled: Secrets of the Temple of the Forbidden Eye revealed! Indiana Jones? Discovers The Jewel of Power! visit ?(o=8>

DisneyWizard the Fantasmic!