External 2.5" drive for backups

Can you recommend a 2TB 2.5" hard disk drive for use with a Pi-based network backup server? Preferably one that will reliably run on the USB power provided by at least some model of Raspberry Pi.

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

You might check out Western Digital Labs - I know they have a 1TB drive designed for RPI.

Reply to
ray carter

They do: I have their 1TB PiDrive on an RPi3 acting as a backup server, but they don't (currently, at least) have anything bigger than that.

--
Cheers,
John

It would be ideal, but I need something quite a bit larger.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Get a bus-powered USB enclosure and put your own drive into it. IME you should be able to go up to about 3TB before you need external power.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

ray carter

Those are 3.5" drives, not USB-powered devices sadly.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

I may be looking in the wrong places, but nowadays branded external disk drives seem to be cheaper than bare drives!

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Doug McIntyre
doug@themcintyres.us
Reply to
Doug McIntyre
*
  • On Wednesday 19 Apr 2017 109 at 02:05 PM,
  • D.M. Procida said to The Natural Philosopher,
  • about Re: External 2.5" drive for backups ...
*

You could always get a small 4-port USB Hub and hang your drive(s) off of it.

2TB 2.5" drives work well in a USB 3.0 case, though I would consider supplementing the HUb power with a wal-wart supply! Using USB 3.0 cases would allow future use on said bus if needed. :)

.- Keep the faith, --------------------------------------------------. | | | Ben aka cMech Web: http|ftp|binkp|telnet://cmech.dynip.com | | Email: fido4cmech(at)lusfiber.net | | Home page:

| `----------- WildCat! Board 24/7 +1-337-984-4794 any BAUD 8,N,1 ---'

... If it's any good at all they will soon discontinue it.

Reply to
Ben Ritchey

Probably

not USB-powered devices sadly.

Incorrect.

All USB connected drives I have bought in the last couple of years are powered by USB.

They only *have* a USB socket. How else to they get power?

Note the part of the spec where it says 'USB Powered'...

--
"If you don?t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

I think you're looking at the wong thing. Those drives have a 12v power socket and come with a mains adaptor.

I don't think it's even possible to power 3.5" drives via USB, because they require 12v for the motor.

The drives you're referring to are a different product altogether:

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Please have a closer look: . It literally shows a picture of the drive, and mentions the mains adaptor.

Yes, but they are not the ones in the link, and not the ones I was referring to...

The link Ray Carter provided was to 3.5" externally powered drives.

The link you provided was to 2.5" USB-powered drives.

The two are from different product ranges.

Actually the 2.5" 2TB drive is a little cheaper than the 3.5" version, but in any case, that's irrelevant. I am the OP, and I want 2.5" drives. They will be fine for my needs.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

The 12V jack right next to the USB socket, according to the third picture on that page.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Not quite what you asked for but since January I've been using a Western

for backups and bulk transfer 'though not continuously on-line. No problems and the Pi port drives it for up to the time it takes to play two movies without blinking.

I power the Pi via the GPIO pins - the micro-usb power plug can't deliver enough.

Cheerio,

--
>> derek.moody@casterbridge.net
Reply to
Derek.Moody

I didn't refer to that drive either.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The words you were looking for there were "I'm sorry I was wrong".

---druck

druck

The words you were looking for are "Im sorry I was wrong, all drives are not like that and thank you for pointing me at one which suits my requirements perfectly".

too dark to read.