External 2.5" drive for backups

Can you recommend a 2TB 2.5" hard disk drive for use with a Pi-based
network backup server? Preferably one that will reliably run on the USB
power provided by at least some model of Raspberry Pi.

Thanks,

Daniele

Re: External 2.5" drive for backups

You might check out Western Digital Labs - I know they have a 1TB drive
designed for RPI.

Re: External 2.5" drive for backups

They do: I have their 1TB PiDrive on an RPi3 acting as a backup server,
but they don't (currently, at least) have anything bigger than that.

--
Cheers,
John

Re: External 2.5" drive for backups

It would be ideal, but I need something quite a bit larger.

Daniele

Re: External 2.5" drive for backups

Get a bus-powered USB enclosure and put your own drive into it. IME
you should be able to go up to about 3TB before you need external
power.

Re: External 2.5" drive for backups

I may be looking in the wrong places, but nowadays branded external disk
drives seem to be cheaper than bare drives!

https://gigaom.com/2012/10/09/how-to-add-5-5-petabytes-and-get-banned-from-costco-during-a-hard-drive-crisis/

--
Doug McIntyre
snipped-for-privacy@themcintyres.us

Re: External 2.5" drive for backups

Not quite what you asked for but since January I've been using a Western

for backups and bulk transfer 'though not continuously on-line.  No problems
and the Pi port drives it for up to the time it takes to play two movies
without blinking.

I power the Pi via the GPIO pins - the micro-usb power plug can't deliver
enough.

Cheerio,

Re: External 2.5" drive for backups

https://www.wdc.com/products/external-storage/wd-elements-desktop.html

Re: External 2.5" drive for backups

Those are 3.5" drives, not USB-powered devices sadly.

Daniele

Re: External 2.5" drive for backups

Probably

not USB-powered devices sadly.

Incorrect.

All USB connected drives I have bought in the last couple of years are