Dropbox-like services for RPi

Hello Larry!

08 Nov 16 13:58, you wrote to Gordon Henderson:

LM> mechanism for the maintainer of this to get his stuff onto the LM> server. Certainly not impossible. I don't know how their web site is LM> built. If it's built on a CMS, that's pretty trivial.

That depends CMS's can get in the way of stuff. Extra steps to download stuff due to links which are not direct links ie:

That is not as easily scripted as:

The above script probable pulls that eventually...CMS's like to add layers to things like a script to spit out things versus a direct hard link.

Again, its not as easily scriptable.. it can be done... but can easily be broken too.

Simply little 10 line pyton script pulls in the latest episode of a program from an RSS feed..

Well seems someone got bored and changed the layout of the RSS... so no program.. a little quick dump of the site, and a quick change to the array, done. Back to working.

See if they have a web server which offers SSH setup.. Setup cert ssh logins, and then install rsync and let it rip. It does a great job of syncing up stuff from my VPS's to some local storage... totally autmates downloads of stuff. I just open up the folder(s) it creates each day and hit play! :)

Depending on the CMS you can probably automate the way they update the stuff that gets sync'd

Rick

... Vote Trump 2016 and Make America Great Again!

Reply to
Rick Christian

Hello Larry!

08 Nov 16 14:48, you wrote to The Natural Philosopher: LM> No source. Just an x86 binary. :-(

64b and 32b for most of the real distros and

How do I build the Dropbox installer for Linux from source?

The Dropbox installation package source has been released to the public via a GPL license. This means that even if we don't have installation packages for your Linux or Unix distribution of choice, you can still compile a version yourself.

Umm for the PI's and ARMHF.. ummmm... nautilius isn't that the file manager from gnome (blech, spit, blech) ????

You will have to look at the dependencies on that to determine you can get any where with it... above my code level

For AMRHF ie: Pi's

See :

Rick

... Vote Trump 2016 and Make America Great Again!

Reply to
Rick Christian

I'm looking for some method of syncing a folder in the cloud with a few RPis.

I've been googling. It looks like Dropbox Uploader might be the best solution, or at least worth a shot. But I'm wondering if I'm missing anything that might be better for my use. I already use and like Dropbox, but I know there are enough cloud services like that that perhaps there's one that actually supports the Raspbian.

For some simple digital signage, I'm using Video Looper. It just plays videos from a directory with omxplayer. So far, I've been able to just stick a new USB drive in when I wanted to make changes. However, I'd now like the ability to change files remotely. We have more screens in use now in different locations and being able to push out files from a central location without touching the pis would be great. I'm trying to make setup as simple as possible on the pi end. Each pi would probably have its own folder to sync with.

Any suggestions for accomplishing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
Airigami: The fine art of folding air.

Hello The!

08 Nov 16 17:16, you wrote to me:

TP> apt-get install build-essentials should get you a compile environment TP> on yer Pi.

FYI... I think that was directed to some one else not me...

Rick

... Vote Trump 2016 and Make America Great Again!

Reply to
Rick Christian

Why not rent your own vps and set up rsync on it?

The Natural Philosopher

:

It sounds as if you don't need a cloud, per se, but just a mechanism for peer to peer file synchronisation? Maybe 'syncthing' would do the trick for you? I'm using it on RPis here (on a LAN, rather than the internet, admittedly, but I think it should work for that too).

--
Cheers,
John

If "the cloud" is an existing VPS type of server, then simply running rsync on the client Pi's to periodically get an update is relatively trivial to do.

Other solutions like that would be GIT or even a pull from a remote web server (wget or curl)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rsync would be easy for me, but other than helping to set up, I have nothing to do with this and want the easiest possible solution for the folks using it to just add machines (pis or desktops) and have it just work the way they're used to. They all use Dropbox already.

Rsync may actually be the way to go. I already have a VPS that I use and it would probably be quickest for me. I'd just prefer not to have them tied to me and really don't want to give them something else to keep track of.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
Airigami: The fine art of folding air.
Reply to
Larry Moss

Looks like source for a client exists.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've never heard of syncthing. Just did a quick read of what that does. That may work. Will take a closer look later. Thanks.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
Airigami: The fine art of folding air.
Reply to
Larry Moss

I thought about pulling from a web server, but then I have to set up a mechanism for the maintainer of this to get his stuff onto the server. Certainly not impossible. I don't know how their web site is built. If it's built on a CMS, that's pretty trivial.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
Airigami: The fine art of folding air.
Reply to
Larry Moss

Am 08.11.2016 um 03:12 schrieb Larry Moss:

Why not setup you own owncloud server. "same" systeme like dropbox but all yours.

SunDancer
All your squigs are belongz to me!
[TAG] Fairy & [POLL]-Enforcer
http://blog.der-boese-metaller.de
Reply to
Tim Albers

No source. Just an x86 binary. :-(

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
Airigami: The fine art of folding air.
Reply to
Larry Moss

franssoa

this:

if you don't have a DE.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

Definbitely source!

-- ?it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism (or environmental activism) is becoming a general ideology about humans, about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and the state, and about the manipulation of people under the guise of a 'noble' idea. It is not an honest pursuit of 'sustainable development,' a matter of elementary environmental protection, or a search for rational mechanisms designed to achieve a healthy environment. Yet things do occur that make you shake your head and remind yourself that you live neither in Joseph Stalin?s Communist era, nor in the Orwellian utopia of 1984.?

Vaclav Klaus

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even on Windows, the official dropbox client uses Python, whether or not there's a binary blob somewhere deeper, I've never had to investigate.

Reply to
Andy Burns

This client is pure C. No python at all.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

apt-get install build-essentials should get you a compile environment on yer Pi.

Then in general explode the zip /bz2 archive into a safe place

CD to it and run ./configure make

At this point you may encounter errors from things you need as well, and its a real game trying to work out what source packages you meed as well as the code you are compiling.

This is why the package manager was invented....

Sadly yes it is an extension to the nautilus file manager, but that is usable by idiots.

-- ?it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism (or environmental activism) is becoming a general ideology about humans, about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and the state, and about the manipulation of people under the guise of a 'noble' idea. It is not an honest pursuit of 'sustainable development,' a matter of elementary environmental protection, or a search for rational mechanisms designed to achieve a healthy environment. Yet things do occur that make you shake your head and remind yourself that you live neither in Joseph Stalin?s Communist era, nor in the Orwellian utopia of 1984.?

Vaclav Klaus

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll play with a few of them and see what works best in this environment. Now that I know I can build a Dropbox client, I'm going to at least try that one since that's where I started on this. But, as I hoped, you've all provided other paths for me to explore. I'll report back when I have something running.