Displaying a ragged array

When I meant web app, I meant the POST / xmlhttprequest technology behind web app for updates. Not saying actually doing a whole packaged web app, like the fashion.

You were looking for something with a responsive display for output, that in my mind is the HTML engine inside a browser, to display the output of an XLST. Maybe you can have an instance of a browser in your Java desktop application.

Otherwise, you'll be designing form items, for every single data item display eventuality. I wouldn't call that fun.

I gave that up when I stopped developing front end databases in MS Access, and implementing mad VBA logic to hide form controls, linked sub forms etc..

I now kick out data from PowerShell to a web browser, with stylesheets. Fairly quickly as well.

It's my pref, YMMV ;-)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Excellent, thanks for that. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Actually, its dead easy - in Java. For rectangular tables is really simple: - put the data in a TableModel and use a JTable inside a JScrollBar to display and edit it with a suitable editing class.

Something a bit more complex is fairly easy too:

Derive custom cells (colour size, font) that register mouse clicks from a JButton and those that merely display stuff from a JLabel. Now dynamically assemble a tabular display using loop(s) to assemble a table sized to match the data. Ragged arrays are only slightly harder: each row can be a different length. Adding scroll bars is equally easy.

There's always been better ways than that - almost all the 4GLs (yes, even dBase or PowerBuilder) were easier to use than Access+VBA - the better ones, e.g. Sculptor, would even build interactive forms and reports automatically.

These days I'd probably look at using Limbas to set up web pages and reports for PostgreSQL.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org