Direct digital I/O ?

Yes, I realise that describing a 24 bit word architecture as 'bigendian' may look a bit redundant, but it does emphasise where the MSB bit is and in any case, the machine could deal with multi-word integers, which used a bigendian word order.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

He spends his life trolling in uk.r.a. and other groups Martin.

Reply to
mm0fmf

You do realise that you have a high likely hood of stopping DRAM refresh and other nasties, potentially doing things like bricking your SD card let alone cause many other problems.

If you attach a switch to reset line you have a good chance of needing spare SD cards.

The RPi and the system with all its peripherals is a completely different beast to the old systems.

Even if you could manage to write into memory, with halted CPU, how are you going to be sure the on CPU caches KNOW the value is different to what they hold.

What locations are you expecting to examine/modify, as memory management unit will make it impossible for you to work out the steps in locations of your one task.

Play with RPi as it is and get to understand how it works as it is. Having multiple terminal windows on graphical, and multiple sessions by + onwards gives you ability to do many things at once and stop errant tasks etc..

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

It loads whatever it finds on your SD card which most certainly will not be Linux if Linux ain't there. There won't be any Linux in what I have in mind.

Doing something that I enjoy and for which I am well qualified is not something I'd criticise as being stuck with. Handling the blinkenlights is an ideal opening for a Pi Zero.

Never found it to be a problem.

Little Endian is god-given. Big Endian is the work of the devil.

Switch register is also there as an I/O facility, as with the OSR bit in the PDP8 OP instructions.

If I wanted hex input, then wouldn't need thecomplexity of screen and keyboard; would do it via Morse (Really "Vail") Code.

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

Little endian makes more sense, because as you calculate, presumably additions, you autoincrement up the addresses.

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

Forgot to say your

Is akin to connecting the water inlets of a washing machine to the gas mains. They operate differently and use different interfaces and different software drivers.

Even on PDP-8's and similar they would have different interface cards just like serial interfaces, disk drives, printers etc on any system.

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

OK, thanks. I think a plonking is in order.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

It seems as though you lack either experience or knowledge of working with electronics and microprocessors at the soldering iron and logic gate level?

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

I get the impression that you might, just, lack either experience or knowledge of which end of a soldering iron to hold?

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

In 22 years of subscribing to Usenet, I have never trolled, but discuss those things that interest me. In so doing, I pick up a number of abusive ignoramuses who do not understand that which I talk about, or else blindly quote from their textbooks but without their thinking caps on.

Your PP has long been in my KF for being gratuitously abusive, and his interjection quoted above fully justifies that KF presence, so it would seem.

Martin, are you, too, to become a deliberately ignorant abuser, or would you prefer to stay and discuss a developing technical thread; even were that thread to move in directions in which you lack experience?

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

I see the guy is giving you a hard time. He really is a troll and the best thing to do is to *totally* ignore him. Don't respond even to tell him you are ignoring him. I don't think that is going to happen in this group, but it would be for the best.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I'm not giving anybody a hard time and I am not trolling.

Perhaps you should refer your readers to the NG rec.radio.amateur.antenna wherein I tried to explore antennae theory beyond what is stated in the textbook and how you and your ilk became abusive?

It seems that being intellectually explorative is not accepted practice amongst the lumpen proletariat of Usenet who cannot merely ignore things that they do not understand or feel uncomfortable about discussing and must resort to personal abusive ad hominem attacks such as you do above?

Why do you behave like that?

-----ooooo-----

Now, if you, or indeed, anyone else, does not want to discuss the exciting (to me. at least) the low-level operation of the 64 bit ARM architecture, then it is probably for the better, as you suggest above, that you ignore the threads or even KF me rather than hijacking the thread to vent your spleen in attacks.

I am quite happy that the deliberately ignorant and the gratuitously abusive should ignore me.

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

Why not put your money where your mouth is and give examples of where you say that I have trolled?

Cue : strategic disappearance by Rickman

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

You are "intellectually explorative" in the same sense that a small child on a 1,000 mile car trip asking "are we there yet" every mile is "intellectuallly explorative."

--
Jim H
Reply to

A prime example of, "the lumpen proletariat of Usenet who ... must resort to personal abusive ad hominem attacks", perhaps?

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

You have persistently trolled on uk.net.news.config and uk.net.news.management, where you are one of the most universally despised and hated posters. I see your ambition has increased.

--
Mike Fleming
Reply to

Why not put your money where your mouth is and give examples of where you say that I have trolled?

I note that, as before, you resort to childish outbursts in the manner of a

5-year-old.

Shame on you.

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

Strange the number of social misfits who do not join the discussion but use it as an excuse to vent their own spleens, blaming me instead of taking responsibility for their own behaviours as any well adjusted adult should so do.

It is a most regrettable aspect of Usenet the number of silly billies who use it as a vehicle for shouting abuse.

A pox on them and their families.

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

I am really sorry to see the infection has spread to comp.sys.raspberry-pi. I hope that people here can see how important it is to not respond to trolls. This guy has ruined a number of groups.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Well, we all know how to set up a filter or killfile don't we?

If not, start a topic...

Josef Stalin
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher