Development

Well, of course I had been writing it for DOS since about 1987, as a contributor to the KA9Q software. But that was an application, not a part of the OS. The network stack and the apps that used it, like telnet, ftp and smtp, were all in a single program.

Reply to
Rob

Often applications under Windows don't "just work". Otherwise you wouldn't need to download patches regularly. I can also name applications that never worked.

Many applications written for Win95->XP don't work on Vista and later.

And on Linux too. In the past there were more problems but that has largely been fixed now.

You wouldn't. Because you can't.

Wrong. Linux is used extensively in businesses. It's more versatile than Windows.

One of my previous clients developed a large business application. When evaluting operating systems Linux and *NIX were suitable and Windows failed the evaluation process.

--
 Click to see the full signature

Or the built-in server in cygwin. Neither this nor Xming gave me any trouble.

--
Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,