Deutsche Welle news article on Raspberry Pi - "Raspberry Pi and the new computer science kids"

He didn't invent (or patent) cyclone separation.

He invented the modifications required to make a cyclone small enough to be part of a portable vacuum cleaner and also capable of filtering down to cigarette smoke particle sizes.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

So if I make a smaller iPhone Apple won't sue me?

--
    ???????????????
    ? ? ?     ?   ?

Neither do they dry your hands very well.

--
Today is Boomtime, the 29th day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
           "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"

So the dust goes all over you *every* time you empty it, rather than just when the bags split.

--
Today is Boomtime, the 29th day of Discord in the YOLD 3179
           "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"
Reply to
Huge

IIRC the iPhone shape & size is the subject of a uniquely American

*design* patent, which in EU/UK terms is more like a copyright on the design.

Dyson extended the state of the art and so are entitled to patent that extension.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I think it's an obvious extension. Our patent system is not open enough for the logic behind such judgements to get the attention they deserve though. I should be able to satisfy myself that its true novelty was examined properly, whereas I don't seem to be able to establish if it was even considered.

--
    ???????????????
    ? ? ?     ?   ?

Since I saw the patent for exercising a cat with a hand held laser I've had no respect for the US patent system. AFAICT it's about as good at detecting novelty as the average goldfish.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

You can excercise your Goldfish with a laser pointer as well. Hey I better patent that! oops to late...

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It took Dyson 5 years and over 5000 prototypes to get it working, before his first vacuum cleaner design (the G force).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

Look up the patent granted within the past decade or two for alternately pulling on the chains or ropes of a playground swing in order to swing sideways. A patent attorney coached his young son in filing the patent and getting it granted for the purpose of teaching the kid about the process. I know that method was considered non-obvious when I was in grade school a few decades earlier. There _HAS_ to have been discoverable prior art!

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Years ago my dad had the 'honour' of having the service contract for some local school computers. All Amstrad PC's failed shortly after installation due to bird dung on the circuit boards and components. He said it was almost impossible to obtain any spares from Amstrad.

--

Geoff

Wey Hey were like monkeys...I can use tools too!
Reply to
glavallin

What would those be?

Do they make clean room vacs? Or do I have to keep using my nice, quiet stable Nilfisk?

Reply to
Julian Macassey

Dual Cyclone was one of the better known ones (which I think may have expired now) which went down to smoke particle size, which effectively removes the smell of cigarette smoke. He has well over 500 patents on cyclone vacuum cleaners. Root cyclone on the newer cleaners can separate out bacteria from the airflow by generating 150,000 G-force.

Not to my knowledge. I wish they did a building site version, because a Dyson is the only thing that copes with the dust output from a wall/plaster chaser, and nothing else comes even close. I use a regular Dyson for that, but it could be easily broken in such an environment if someone drops plaster/bricks on it, or if you forget the plastic dust canister full of brick dust is too heavy to be carried by its handle.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

Bollocks. My wife destroyed her other dyson vacuuming up building dust. My cheap cylinder was fine. #

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine has picked up plenty of old plaster and never complained.

Reply to
Rob Morley

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:32:55 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) declaimed the following in comp.sys.raspberry-pi:

Out of curiosity... What does one do with the layer of germy scum that must be building up on the inside of the vacuum cleaner?

Dennis Lee Bieber

Ironically the Pis are not that good as a platform for learning programming IMHO.

Yes, the dreaded "ICT". However things are improving as they're starting to add some useful stuff into the curriculum. I think they should do a bit of "office" applications but it should NOT be using just Mircoshaft products.

--
(\__/)  M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

And hides some useful features so you can no longer find then. Then there's the broken compatibility from all previous versions.

--
(\__/)  M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

On the other hand a Pi running RISC OS is great for programming - it comes complete with BBC Basic.

The catch is that once you've paid for MS Office, you can do most of what the curriculum requires with it, without needing to expend either time or money setting anything else up. (Even installing extra free software takes time.) Most teachers have at least a passing knowledge of Office, but many lack the willingness to learn anything else. A few are brave enough to learn from the brighter kids, many cannot swallow their pride sufficiently to do that.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@adamshome.org.uk

I cant see what is wrong with a pi to learn programming on at all.

Unless you consider that assembler is where this must begin.

Linux has just about every language ever written on it, some very decent editors..

And if you have some DOS flavoured BASIC or somesuch, load up a DOS emulator and get GOTO ing.