Cursed ethernet!

OK, so I went out and bought a crossover cable which is just a piece of wire, costing more than 60% of the rPi complete computer.

So the slak-boys say I must do `netconfig`, which I obviously skipped during installation because I don't want to KNOW about ethernet, because it's like kiddies who should have a bicycle, but want to have their own airliner. It's absurd to have 2 devices on either end of ONE piece of wire, where each has its unique 6-byte address !!

AFAICS netconfig only sets-up-the addressing between these 2 clowns in a rowing-boat in the middle of the Pacific who can't talk to each other because their names are mutually unknown?

But what commands exchange data between the rPi & slak-PC?

Everything is a file, so see if/what where the latest /dev/* was created:

-> ls -tl /dev/* | head == crap!

Perhaps /dev/*et* was created at boot time == crap !

rPi: `ifplugd -c` shows the pid-running, and slak's `lsof | grep ` would show what 'device was open' perhaps.

How do I test if the PC's ethernet hardware is not bust? `dmesg` shows the 6-byte IP as per the eth-socket label. I can't remember how/why but sometimes the eth-socket used to flash; but not lately.

What a load of crap, for such a simple task. It's like the wintel systems which need an airconditioner on their back.

Reply to
Unknown

So why are you trying to set up networking if it's so far beneath you?

Here's an idead, why don't you go and troll somewhere else?

Reply to
Guesser

Well, see, there's your problem. Everything's a file, but network interfaces aren't. They don't show up in /dev.

Try ifconfig -a

IP addresses are 4 bytes. MAC addresses are 6 bytes.

--
roger ivie
rivie@ridgenet.net

I detect either a troll or some one with absolutely no knowledge about networking, ethernet, TCP/IP, etc and expects it to work like USB. Plug it in and with a bit of luck it works. TCP/IP isn't like that...

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Because people keep answering him here.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

I 'don't like' "try". It means suck-it-and-see. When I 'tried' it screwed my existing system.

Yes every traveller must have it's unique ID to get a visa to visit any part of the globe. But having a visa to go to your kitchen is absurd.

When using eg. `links`, and I see "update your browser for a better

*EXPERIENCE*". I say "SCREW YOU!". These boys who follow the herd and get taken in my the marketers, are the one who thought they could mortgage their house for beer.
Reply to
Unknown

That's exactly my point. I don't WANT to know about networking, ethernet, TCP/IP; like I don't want google-adverts in-YO-face when I go on-line; or you may not want to be bothered with the underlying physics of the hardware.

The ability to install extra/different packages is FUNDAMENTAL. The need to have ethernet on a rPi is as absurd as having windscreen-whipers on a bicycle.

In being forced to my slak-PC, my normal inet conectivity was lost, and only recovered by: .

SCREW ethernet !!

Reply to
Unknown

Plonk!

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

Then what on earth are you doing with a raspberry pi?

Go and buy an I-phone.

Go on, then screw ethernet and see how far you get.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't need to, stop being an arse by trying to use an ethernet connection direct to a PC. It can be made to work but it ain't pluig 'n play.

Copy them to the card and shove it in.

Bollocks, it means it can communicate with the world.

Only because you are being an arse and trying to connect a Pi directly to a PC. If you simply plug it into 99.999% of functional LAN's it'll work out of the box.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You could use NetBEUI for your LAN. Many of us did, back in the day.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to
Graham.

He didn't need a crossover cable either. Could have blagged a couple of CAT5 cables from a friend and bought a simple hub for about seven quid.

Ah. "Friend".

--
from Tim Hill who welcomes incoming email to tim at timil dot com.
* Share in a better energy supplier: http://tjrh.eu/coopnrg

You could have made one for the same price as a homemade straight-through cable. If you spent $25 on the cable, you could have bought a RJ45 crimper and some plugs for the same price.

--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
 deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Indeed. Apparently his friends haven't told him that high street cables are a total rip-off too. And ignored the fact that several people have said he doesn't need a crossover anyway. A regular Cat5 patch cable costs £0.99 delivered on eBay (a crossover cable costs £1.23).

Reply to
Rob Morley

Or alternatively bought a straight one in whatever passes as his equivalent of a pound shop, slit the outer sheath at the mid point, and stripped & cross connected the orange/white & green/white pairs, followed by a liberal application of sticky tape.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to
Graham.

I've done that with the firewire patch cord that was supplied with a USB2 / firewire combo external drive enclosure. The manufacturer of the cable had, erroneously, assumed that firewire (like DIN cables) would be wired 'straight' pin to pin at each end and created a chimera which simply doesn't exist in the firewire cabling standard.

Every single _compliant_ firewire patch cord is a _cross-over_ cable

- for once, it seems that common sense finally prevailed amongst the members of a standards setting commitee. In this case, even more remarkable considering Sony involvement - perhaps Sony lunacy only afflicts their MMI software department.

--
Regards, J B Good
Reply to

Isn't that just because the Firewire protocol is intrinsically peer-to-peer rather than client/server?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I think you've got USB in mind for that comparision where the plugs have to be different at each end because of the host / client architecture.

With firewire each peripheral device has two identical sockets to allow a bunch of them to be daisychained off the same single firewire bus so it's very likely that the commitee had no choice but to mandate a cross-over cable in order to make it work without pissing off the type of customer this was aimed at.

When the plugs are identical at each end, it makes perfect sense to use crossover as the one and only allowable wiring standard. If such an approach had been taken with RJ45 and ethernet, there would have been no need to develop auto MDI/MDX and in the case of DIN audio interconnects, the pin assignments could have been standardised in the equipment socket mandating a cross-over cabling standard that would have totally eliminated a needless complication over patch lead choice by the users - it would have "Just Worked"(tm) with the one and only type of patch lead commercialy available to the users.

--
Regards, J B Good
Reply to

That's putting the cart before the horse. Too many people seem to forget ethernet was designed not for simple home networks but commericial deployment. With any kind of cabling the patch leads used are a tiny portion of the whole investment - it's the fixed wiring (through walls and ceilings) that is the expensive stuff to fit.

Ethernet over twisted pair was designed to leverage standard structured wiring - the RJ45 ports spread throughout offices and so on are not "ethernet" ports but "structured wiring" ports intended from the off to carry a broad range of different traffic (phone, CCTV, audio etc) without the need to rip up the floorboards for each new connection. They are _always_ wired straight-through since that is the expected arrangement for the phone systems they were initially fitted for.

Now consider the interaction between the crossover cables and the fixed wiring. You have a crossover patch cable followed by a straight-through fixed cable followed by another crossover patch lead at the other end. What happens if you crossover twice? You end up with a straight-through cable. Keeping everthing straight-through avoids the need for a separate kind of cable in 99% of cases - it's basically only back-to-back or switch/hub-switch/hub connection that ever needed them. Going for a crossover you would need two kinds of patch cable for each and every link.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org