[CM] Raspberry Pi lets billboard "respond" to arriving trains

Title: Blowing in the (fetid subway) wind Author: liz Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:01:19 -0500 Link:

A quick post today: I?m at the airport gate waiting to get on a plane.

I sent out a tweet about this brilliant advertising application of the Pi last week, but so many of you missed it on Twitter and have emailed to tell me about it since then (including one Dr Eben Upton) that I thought it deserved a spot here. Here?s a digital billboard that responds to the wind created by an approaching train.

it was so popular that the company which owns the screens asked for it to run for the rest of the week ?as a way for them to show the opportunities their

run a full HD digital display and can be hooked up to respond to real-world

be using a Raspberry Pi behind digital displays: but this is the best integrated use of the device I?ve seen in this context, and it?s made for a very powerful piece of advertising.

Links: [1]:

(link) [2]:
(link)

Reply to
RS Wood

This is really spectacular, and very well done. It's a tribute to what's possible with small, powerful computing devices. The black and white photography makes it even more compelling.

It reminds me in a way of this manual effort prank, where two guys inside a van with a camera photoshop people at a bus stop into the advertisement in front of them; funny to see people as they notice they're in the advert. Freaky too, in a cyberstalking kind of way.

"

"

Reply to
RS Wood

It is indeed, I really like it. The article's author is just making stuff up though -- the thing doesn't have anything to do with wind from incoming trains. You can clearly see those little $9 ultrasonic ping sensors pointed directly at the train. They're simply measuring distance :P

Reply to
Randy Westlund