Checking a new boot microSD card

I tried to write a Buster image to a new microSD card (Samsung Evo Plus) using a usb-microSD adapter supplied with the card. It seemed to work, but slowly, following the directions at

using my existing Pi3B+ running Stretch.

However, the resulting image seems a bit out of whack. bob@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ sudo fsck /dev/sdb2 [sudo] password for bob: fsck from util-linux 2.29.2 e2fsck 1.43.4 (31-Jan-2017) ext2fs_open2: Bad magic number in super-block fsck.ext2: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks... fsck.ext2: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb2

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 or e2fsck -b 32768 I tried the second suggestion and my Pi replied: bob@raspberrypi:~/Downloads $ sudo e2fsck -b 32768 /dev/sdb2 e2fsck 1.43.4 (31-Jan-2017) e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sdb2

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a valid ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 or e2fsck -b 32768

Before simply starting over, might there be some way to salvage the insttallation? Or, at least figure out what I did wrong?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Those directions seem to favor dl/ing and installing the graphical Etcher, alternatively using dd.

--
Mike Easter
Reply to

Apologies for the unclarity; I used the section titled "Copying a zipped image to the SD card"

using the command line

unzip -p 2020-02-13-raspbian-buster.zip | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=4M conv=fsync

(adjusted for local condtions, of course).

The command worked, but took a surprisingly long time, I think it was over an hour. It finished with no errors, though it did report a one block discrepancy between in and out.

There's an sd card copier in the Accessories menu, is that Etcher?

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 02:21:11 +0000 (UTC), bob prohaska declaimed the following:

They released another version recently? Might explain why my last "apt update" said something about a repository change.

Might work faster if one first unpacks the archive, then block copy it to the card. Otherwise it may be so I/O bound that you are getting one chunk from the archive into the pipe (can the pipe hold enough for 4MB?), /then/ the pipe gets emptied, and the delay for the next chunk has the card/OS flushing I/O channels (and maybe triggering card wear leveling and allocation unit swapping).

Most likely NOT!

(doesn't appear to be built for ARM boards)

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Looks like it was either the 4M block size or the "free" usb-microSD adapter. Tried it a second time after unzipping the image using dd and a 1M block size. The write finished in minutes and fsck finds error-free filesystems.

Thanks for reading, and apologies for the noises!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

It looks like there is an etcher for ARM in development

.deb pkg for raspbian buster

I think I like this install page for the .img better than the earlier cited

RPi Easy SD Card Setup

It is 'less ambiguous' about -1- the arch for etcher -2- unzipping first

-3- the 2 linux graphicals mentioned aren't for RPi; use dd

There are several threads including in rpi forum seeking a graphical for rpi with a lot of wrong/misleading answers.

--
Mike Easter
Reply to

I wrote it/ the .img/ w/ the Win Etcher via a USB2 adapter. It spent 15 min doing the write and verification process for the 7G .img.

That is, I dl/ed the torrent which fetched the .zip which sha256 hashed ok which I unzipped to the 7G img which I wrote w/ Win etcher. I considered using Win Rufus in dd mode, but I wanted to see some more etcher operation. I've used Rufus quite a lot and I would consider it my 'favorite' usb .iso writer except that it can't do persistence or multiboot writing, so it is just for non-persistent one-off/s.

For persistence using Ub (and some Deb) distros, I like mkusb from its .ppa repo best. For multiboot I usually use the Win Yumi, which can also do persistence, but it sometimes doesn't work w/ distro/s which aren't in its stable/line-up.

--
Mike Easter
Reply to