Charging Power Hubs

Hi all,

I am fairly new to rPi. I have a few of these, doing various things in my o ffice.

I am getting tired of having a separate power plug for each one. I know the re are charging hubs (by Anker, etc) that have 4 or 6 usb ports that supply 2.4 amps each. But these are made for charging phones and tablets and appa rently have intelligent charging profiles for specific phones.

Are these power hubs safe to use to power multiple rPi?

Steven

Reply to
Steven Domingue

office.

here are charging hubs (by Anker, etc) that have 4 or 6 usb ports that supp ly 2.4 amps each. But these are made for charging phones and tablets and ap parently have intelligent charging profiles for specific phones.

Just a follow on. I want to power multiple rPis via micro usb cables into t he micro usb on the rPis, not through the 4 usb ports.

Reply to
Steven Domingue

I doubt if there is much intelligence in such products.

Check that the hub's PSU has sufficient wattage to power the desired number of Pi's simultaneously. There are plenty around that claim to put out 2.4A on each of the ports, but only have a 3A PSU.

---druck

Reply to
druck

I just bought one off eBay for around $12.50. Says it can provide 2 A on four ports and 1 A on 2 more. I'll let you know how well it works when I hook up my new rPi 2 along with my old one.

--

Rick
Reply to

I have successfully powered 6 RPis from one of these for the last 3 months

Bob Martin

I've got one of these:

and one of these:
I use both for running Pis, Chromecast, USB hub and for charging Nook, Kindle, various Phones. Standard "figure 8" socket, so power leads readily available. Make sure you use good quality USB A to micro leads to get full power to the Pi.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

That's exactly what I needed to know. I have one on order. Thanks

Steven

Reply to
Steven Domingue

I currently have a single 3.6A PSU supplying a 5 port switch, two Sipura VOIP ATAs and a Pi. I used a daisy-chain of barrel jacks, as gutarists use for their effects pedels, and cut off one of the jacks and spliced on a micro USB for the Pi.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to