Can not reflash EEPROM

I followed basically two links to test boot over TFTP+NFS root.

https://linuxhit.com/raspberry-pi-pxe-boot-netbooting-a-pi-4-without-an-sd-card/
https://metebalci.com/blog/cardless-rpi4/

Cause I did not want to remove and insert the SD card all the time I flashed
with BOOT_ORDER=0x2.

Now I can boot from the NFS root, but can not flash the eeprom back. eeprom
image is the latest 2020-01-17.
Could it be that it does not upgrade eeprom, because it is the same? Or is
there another procedure ?

Thanks in advance

regards

Re: Can not reflash EEPROM

2020-02-13 is latest.

Re: Can not reflash EEPROM

I mean what I get in raspbian buster is 2020-01-17.

Does the upgrade/eeprom wirte does not work because it is the same version,
or because I do not boot from SD card?

thank you

Re: Can not reflash EEPROM

I'm afraid someone with more knowledge than I have would need to chime
in.

Re: Can not reflash EEPROM

Thank you and I hope some one will shed light.

Re: Can not reflash EEPROM
the following:

    Suspect it would have been safer to use 0x21 and just leave the SD card
/out/ to cause failover to the network.

    Best I could find is:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/bootflow_2711.md
"""
On board bootrom checks for bootloader recovery file (recovery.bin) on the
SD card. If found, it executes it to flash the EEPROM and recovery.bin
triggers a reset.
"""
    The full text implies that the recovery file is checked for /before/ it
goes to EEPROM bootloader.

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Can not reflash EEPROM

No it is definitely 0x2

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/bootflow_2711.md

and yes, I read this before posting, the card is ignored with 0x2 and from
the nfsroot I could not overwrite the eeprom. I guess and hope it is
because it checks the version. I will try with the 2020-02 rom this
evening - lets hope it will do the trick.

For the future I'll know to set 0x21 and remove the card - saves some
headache.

thanks BTW

[SOLVED] Can not reflash EEPROM

https://linuxhit.com/raspberry-pi-pxe-boot-netbooting-a-pi-4-without-an-sd-card/

It turned out that the card to boot from must be inserted when
updating/writing the eeprom.
I hope this helps someone in future.

Re: [SOLVED] Can not reflash EEPROM
the following:

    That would seem to have been rather explicit in the article I'd
referenced earlier... That the boot sequence checks the SD card for
recovery.bin /before/ checking the EEPROM for boot sequence. If the SD card
wasn't there, booting would move immediately to the EEPROM sequence.

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: [SOLVED] Can not reflash EEPROM

yes I read this and it gave me the clue.

thanks

Site Timeline