binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar

To test VLC compiled with hardware acceleration, I downloaded
this .rar file:

    http://www.mrvestek.com/hosted/vlc_hw_raspberry.rar

However, when I try to unrar it on a Debian 7 host, the vast
majority of files say 'FAILED' rather than 'OK'.

I suppose another option would be to try to unrar it on the Pi,
but I didn't install unrar-free on the Pi--yet.

Shouldn't unrar be system-agnostic?

Does anyone else have experience with unrar and/or this package
that might help get it successfully unpacked?

Thanks.

--
Robert Riches
snipped-for-privacy@jacob21819.net

I suspect you may have a bad download.

I just downloaded that file and unrar'd it on a Debian 7 i386 PC with no
errors. It reported "All OK" at the end.

To help you check your download, mine was 319,009,008 bytes long and the
MD5 sum was 4717cf58a942d1d9a711b9dec52c8899

Re: binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar

Thanks for that byte count and MD5 sum.  My download matches both
but still won't unrar with the unrar-free that comes with Debian
Wheezy, version 0.0.1+cvs20071127-2.  That looks like a terribly
old version.  Hmmmm, it worked with your 32-bit i386 but failed
with my 64-bit--maybe a bug manifest only in 64 bits.

FWIW, at the moment, my second Pi is compiling from source, using
the tutorial here:

    http://www.oblivion-software.de/index.php?id56%&type98%

The tutorial at intensecode.blogspot.de is missing a few things.

If that effort fails, I'll keep in mind to try a newer version of
unrar on the binary archive.

Thanks,

--
Robert Riches
snipped-for-privacy@jacob21819.net
Re: binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar

Ah, I see. I'm using the non-free version of unrar 1:4.1.4-1 from
Wheezy. That must be the issue.

--
Dom

Re: binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar
On 15 Jun 2014 04:01:37 GMT

Running Ubuntu 14.04 here - I extracted the archive with no errors,
using both Unrar 5.0 and 7zip/Wine.

Re: binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar

+1 for 7zip on a win2k system. It would seem that Robert's problem is
a corrupted download.
--
J B Good

Re: binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar

What is hardware-acceleration [in the context of display technology]?

If you can't explain, DON'T post a link.

I'm tired of "technical explanations" that consist of references
to personalities.

Re: binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar

Have a look at <http://bit.ly/1i0cbZK .

Per Wikipedia:

"In computing, hardware acceleration is the use of computer hardware to
perform some functions faster than is possible in software running on
the general-purpose CPU. Examples of hardware acceleration include
blitting acceleration functionality in graphics processing units (GPUs)
and instructions for complex operations in CPUs."

That explanation (which is the first one you'd find in a Google search
for 'hardware acceleration') not only describes the general concept, but
also gives a specific example of using a graphics processing unit, which
thus is an example "in the context of display technology".

Finding this explanation was absolutely trivial.

Perhaps you should take your own advice but in reverse: If you can't
even be bothered to do a simple search where the very first result gives
an explanation, DON'T post a question.

And lots of people are tired of questions that can be answered by doing
a trivial search on your favourite search engine.

Re: binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar

Because of this, most of us here now ignore the unknown dog.

Re: binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar
On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 09:45:31 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@bobby.df.lth.se

 What can you expect when he's using the quoted text third hand in a
reply to a reply posting in response to the original text in the OP
instead of the OP itself? :-(
--
J B Good

Re: binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar

Please do not feed the troll.

Re: binary VLC compiled with hardware acceleration failed to unrar

h.264

--
umop apisdn

Site Timeline