Best AirPlay distro

I don't know whether there are binaries for the flavor of ARM in the Pi, but Tiny Core could be a good fit. The r/w part of its filesystem while running is kept in RAM. I PXE boot it from a (read-only) image for a zero/thin-client. I have also used it at work for other (read-only) purposes. The RAM filesystem could be a difficulty for the Pi, but for very limited embedded-style use, it is likely manageable.

Oh, if you do use Tiny Core, I suggest disabling the compressed in-RAM swap. In a project at work, I found if I did a lot of disk I/O, the compressed in-RAM swap would cause the machine to lock up, while the same use case never locked up if swap was disabled.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

No, Thank You!!! I had not been aware of the Pi port. There's evidently also Qemu VM infrastructure.

Oh, one thing to watch out for, last time I downloaded Tiny Core stuff, the website is very slow. Thankfully, because the distribution is so small, the lack of speed doesn't matter as much.

Thanks again.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@jacob21819.net

I hack around with Voyage linux

on x86 based thin clients, that uses a read-only fs. There should be a ARM version of that kicking around - I don't think Raspify is it.

I came this direction from

The above describes using both aufs and overlayfs from debian, both which I have also done though x86 not pi.

Searching for Overlayfs, Unionfs or aufs should turn up something :)

--
Adrian C
Reply to