BBS Software for Raspberry Pi

On 2018 Feb 22 12:56:10, you wrote to snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

>> I run a retro BBS using Mystic BBS software. The author of the software >>> has been actively developing it for the last 15+ years. I thought I'd >>> post here to let anyone interested in BBSing that there is a Raspberry >>> Pi (ARM) version of Mystic available from mysticbbs.com >>> >>> Be sure to use the latest 1.12 Alpha, it's far more developed and robust >>> than the much earlier 1.11 release. >>> >>> Some links that may interest you >>> SH> How hard would it be for BBS software to run on telnet?

it is a no-brainer... on winwhatever you use netfoss and/or netserial... on OS/2 you (still) use SIO... on linux, DOSEMU can be told to put a COM port on telnet... however, most BBSes written and maintained these days have their own telnet server... some even do ssh, http, https, rlogin and other similar protocols...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong... ... A good breakfast is no substitute for a large dinner. - Chinese Proverb

Reply to
mark lewis

On 2018 Feb 22 22:42:06, you wrote to All:

TP> BBS software these days is a PHP application running over a web TP> interface

don't tell that to Synchronet (written in C/C++), Mystic (written in freepascal) or any of the other *traditional* BBSes that are still around ;)

TP> and is way better than a simple telnet based system - pictures TP> threads, fora, the lot

pictures are about the only thing that traditional BBSes didn't display but they were easily downloaded and displayed on the local screen... aside from that,

those are the furthest things from traditional BBSes... hell, IRC is in a close race with BBSes, too, if one looks at it right... closer than those forums things...

)\/(ark still a BBS sysop running traditional BBSes since the early '80s

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong... ... Do it tomorrow. You've made enough mistakes today.

Reply to
mark lewis

On 2018 Feb 23 05:03:08, you wrote to snipped-for-privacy@none.invalid:

JB> probably, UX would suck though. no mouse.

don't need a mouse, anyway... even in GUI environments, i still use the keyboard 99.999% of the time ;)

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it wrong... ... I don't even butter my bread. I consider that cooking.

Reply to
mark lewis

Better watch out, the GUI police will be after you...

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.