Audio went away, how to check it?

While poking around on YouTube using the Chromium browser all
audio output on my Pi3+ went away without obvious cause. Normally
the audio comes out the HDMI port and is picked off at the headphone
jack on the monitor, with no special setup that I'm aware of.

The levels are not mute on both the browser and the system,
the speaker system picks up hum when I touch the cable end
where it plugs into the monitor. Chromium reports it is at
Version 65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) Built on Raspbian ,
running on Raspbian 9.6 (32-bit)

Are there any other software switches or status that can be checked?
It's possible the monitor's audio section quit, but software trouble
seems a great deal more plausible.

Is there a way to bypass the hdmi in the monitor to check for output
directly at the Pi's audio jack?

I've not yet tried rebooting, but will do that as soon as a running
job completes.

Thanks for reading, and any ideas!

bob prohaska

Re: Audio went away, how to check it?
Turned out to be the monitor after all. The monitor wouldn't
respond to the power button, after pulling its plug all is
back to normal.

I'd still be curious to know more about testing audio output
on the Pi.

Thanks,

bob prohaska

Re: Audio went away, how to check it?

You can always plug in headphones in the headphone jack of the
RPi. AFAIK, audio always goes to both HDMI and jack.

Re: Audio went away, how to check it?

No it doesn't. Use "sudo raspi-config" to pick always hdmi, always jack or
auto (which is not both, but could maybe flip over if you plug in one or
the other; idk). Or use "amixer cset numid=3 0" where the last number
selects the audio output: 0=auto, 1=jack, 2=hdmi. Doesn't need sudo and
does persist across reboots.

Re: Audio went away, how to check it?

Thanks to everyone for a most informative thread!

bob prohaska

Site Timeline