Audio out via Bluetooth NO pulseaudio! Possible?

Hello everybody!

I've run into a use case with a Pi3 and the need to use Bluetooth as the "output" mode v. HDMI or 1/8" jack.

When I search all the tutorials list installing pulseaudio as part of the process. Stop. Full Stop. No dice.

Is there no way to use the BT to output audio from the Pi3 WITHOUT pulseaudio.

My setups specifically use features of ALSA and I don't want those messed with, ie: plugins, loopback etc.. Additionaly I just don't like pulseaudio. I could go off the deep end on my reasons, just suffice it that ALSA features, are more important.

Any way to achieve BT audio out with out the dreaded package??

Thanks.

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Reply to
Rick Christian

Read, weep:

Raspbian uses BlueZ as Bluetooth stack. BlueZ deals with pure Bluetooth tasks (pairing/connection/...) So, BlueZ needs additional SW components for audio management First Linux audio manager that comes to mind is ALSA But, BlueZ (>= v5.0) doesn't support ALSA anymore Instead, BlueZ is now using PulseAudio (>= 5.0) And, PulseAudio still uses ALSA

Unless you can find an older BlueZ that uses ALSA directly, you're kind of stuck. And that may (or not) break other things. BlueZ is the only Linux bluetooth stack available.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
I R A Darth Aggie

Hello everybody!

12 Aug 17 23:26, I wrote to all: RC> Is there no way to use the BT to output audio from the Pi3 WITHOUT RC> pulseaudio.

Well looks like the Pi foundaton has figured out that pulseaudio is crap too!

The latest Raspbian update provides alsa-bluetooth intergration for sound.

So looks like an OS update will solve the issue.

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Reply to
Rick Christian

Hello I!

13 Aug 17 16:20, you wrote to snipped-for-privacy@f377.n35.z1.binkp.net:

IA> Raspbian uses BlueZ as Bluetooth stack. IA> BlueZ deals with pure Bluetooth tasks (pairing/connection/...) IA> So, BlueZ needs additional SW components for audio management IA> First Linux audio manager that comes to mind is ALSA IA> But, BlueZ (>= v5.0) doesn't support ALSA anymore IA> Instead, BlueZ is now using PulseAudio (>= 5.0) IA> And, PulseAudio still uses ALSA

IA> Unless you can find an older BlueZ that uses ALSA directly, you're IA> kind of stuck. And that may (or not) break other things. BlueZ is the IA> only Linux bluetooth stack available.

The Raspbian people have come to their senses and kicked out pulseaudio.

Bluetooth audio

In Jessie, we used PulseAudio to provide support for audio over Bluetooth, but integrating this with the ALSA architecture used for other audio sources was clumsy. For Stretch, we are using the bluez-alsa package to make Bluetooth audio work with ALSA itself. PulseAudio is therefore no longer installed by default, and the volume plugin on the taskbar will no longer start and stop PulseAudio. From a user point of view, everything should still work exactly as before ? the only change is that if you still wish to use PulseAudio for some other reason, you will need to install it yourself.

So I will get another SD card, and try this out.

I really need to look into bulk purchases of SD cards and stock in these companies! :) ;) Since these things are needed liked water now days.

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Reply to
Rick Christian

Yep, so much winning I'm tired of it already :-D The US has become an international laughingstock.

Jamie Kahn Genet

I think it was the same author of that piece, Simon Long, who introduced it for his "Pixel" UI redesign menu bar tools for volume and/or bluetooth. Bad idea from the start, seems he never considered the implications for other alsa audio stuff which "all" broke. Well at least I always had to uninstall pulseaudio before my Iqaudio boards would work.

Reply to
A. Dumas