Audio on a Model B?

OK, I'm behind the times as I haven't acquired my Pi 3 yet (:-)),
but I've been trying to play mp3s and wavs on my model B (mpg123
or aplay) and they always stutter.  I'm puzzled because I thought
I'd done that successfully when I first got it; Csound was always
too much of a load, but I thought a straight audio file played OK.
And I played with XBMC then, too.  Never found anything persuasive
enough to use it more, but as I remember it worked. (Just running
Raspbian with audio over HDMI. Rebooting doesn't improve anything.)

Using the GUI I found I had Kodi so I double-clicked on a file
and tried that.  Equally, if not more, glitchy, even though the
animated background swirled smoothly...  And is there any way to
exit Kodi and get back to the original screen?  I found the little
'switch' icon at bottom left, and clicked on the 'Exit' item it
brought up, but that just killed the GUI completely and I had to
reboot.

So have others played music etc though an original Pi? What might
I be doing wrong?

(BTW, is there any "Process Monitor" for the Pi that shows the CPU
being used by each process?  I don't know of anything that might
be hogging things, but it'd be nice to be able to check.)

Thanks,

    -- Pete --

Re: Audio on a Model B?
On 05/12/2016 21:50, Pete wrote:
[]

Pete,

I don't know about the audio, but "htop" may be what you are looking
for.  You'll likely need to download and install.  I think it's a better
version of "top".

--
Cheers,
David

Ackk... 'top', yes, of course!  I think I last had occasion to use that
on a lab machine ten years ago, and I'd completely forgotten it (:-/)
It would probably do what I want in this case, but I'll certainly take
a look at 'htop'.

Thanks,

    -- Pete --

Re: Audio on a Model B?

Where are the MP3s? If you've got stutter, its likely to be the storage
or transort at fault.

I've used my original Model B's running Libra Elec (the standalone
version of XBMC now called Kodi) to play them both from the memory card
(decent spec on) and over the wired network from my NAS.

---druck

Re: Audio on a Model B?
They're on the card.  I thought it was a pretty reasonable SanDisk,
but I guess it must be that.  Having been alerted to 'htop' I checked
with that, and the CPU never exceeds ~12%, with 3% of that being the
audio, so that's hardly bogged down.
I just removed Kodi off the system... (:-/)  I still can't find any way
to return the screen to normal after it runs, and (unlike the first time)
when I clicked on the file to see what apps would play it, Kodi revved
up automatically, so I had to reboot again!  Enough...

I'll have to try playing from a stream from my LAN, though.  See if
that works.

Thanks,

    -- Pete --

The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- replies will not be seen...
Re: Audio on a Model B?

There's a simple fix for that, google and you'll find it on the Kodi forums.

---druck

Re: Audio on a Model B?
OK, thanks.  I'll go look and maybe try it again later.

    -- Pete --

Audio on a Model B?
08 Dec 16 21:42, you wrote to snipped-for-privacy@druck.org.uk:

 Pe> OK, thanks.  I'll go look and maybe try it again later.

Take a look at this....

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f63%&t10%0811&start75%

This appears to solve this issue, I *can't* verify, as I don't use XBMC.

Rick

... Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD! I Made America Great Again! President Trump!

Audio on a Model B?
08 Dec 16 20:24, you wrote to Pete:

 dr> There's a simple fix for that, google and you'll find it on the Kodi
 dr> forums.

Why not just post the link and help solve this?

09 Dec 16 10:24, you wrote to druck:

 dr>> There's a simple fix for that, google and you'll find it on the Kodi
 dr>> forums.

 RC> Why not just post the link and help solve this?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed
him for a lifetime.

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it
wrong...
... The landscape belongs to the person who looks at it.

Re: Audio on a Model B?
On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 23:32:08 -0000, mark lewis

You, as well as Rick, need a sig sep.

Sig Sep is Dash Dash Space Newline

Re: Audio on a Model B?
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 08:24:10 +1200

    There is a standard you know - and it's dash dash space EOL.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

11 Dec 16 15:50, you wrote to me:

 >> we have a tear line, thankyouverymuch... if you don't like it, talk to
 >> the gate operator and see if the gateway software has some way to
 >> either alter/replace it or inject its own... aside from that,
 >> wotryabitchinabout?

 AS> There is a standard you know - and it's dash dash space EOL.

in fidonet, we have a standard, too... it is dash dash dash space but it is
also not a required part in our standards...

 AS> --
 AS> Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
 C:>> WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
 AS> The computer obeys and wins.                |    licences available see
 AS> You lose and Bill collects.                 |    http://www.sohara.org/

 AS> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
 AS>  * Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | Fido<>Usenet Gateway
 AS> (3:770/3)

PS: the above is how we see your posts on this side of the fence... if we were
in to tearing off the text after the message body, we could complain in the
same manner to you about putting three dashes and a space right above or right
below your two dashes and a space... we, on this side of the fence, do not have
that luxury because it is up to the gating software to handle that for us ;)

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it
wrong...
... It's the net: the use of common sense is totally out of place.

Re: Audio on a Model B?

mark seems to be reading/replying via some sort of fido<->usenet
gateway, soupgate ...

Audio on a Model B?

11 Dec 16 16:07, you wrote to Ahem A Rivet's Shot:

 AB> Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

 >> mark lewis wrote:
 >>
 >>> if you don't like it, talk to the gate operator
 >>
 >> There is a standard you know - and it's dash dash space EOL.

 AB> mark seems to be reading/replying via some sort of fido<->usenet
 AB> gateway, soupgate ...

yes... rick/richard is, too... he's the one that someone started whining at in
the first place...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it
wrong...
... Live life as an exclamation, not an explanation!

Re: Audio on a Model B?
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 16:07:20 +0000

    I'm pretty sure the standard goes back to UUCP days (USENET is
older than the pubic internet), which makes it older than fido and I'm sure
older than whatever gateway software is in use. IOW they should be doing it
right IMHO.

--

11 Dec 16 17:43, you wrote to Andy Burns:

 >> mark seems to be reading/replying via some sort of fido<->usenet
 >> gateway, soupgate ...

 AS> I'm pretty sure the standard goes back to UUCP days (USENET is older
 AS> than the pubic internet), which makes it older than fido and I'm sure
 AS> older than whatever gateway software is in use. IOW they should be
 AS> doing it right IMHO.

we are "doing it right"... don't believe it? read our specs, expand your mind
and learn that the world is larger than you originally thought it was ;) O:) ;)

http://www.ftsc.org/

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it
wrong...
... Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat!

Re: Audio on a Model B?
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 20:50:44 +1200

    Leaves only the question of why the new kid on the block (fidonet
which appeared some five years after UUCP brought us USENET and global
email) chose to do a Microsoft and use almost but not quite the established
standard, oh and why the authors of the gateway software chose not to
translate sig separators on the way through given the first oddity.

--

12 Dec 16 05:28, you wrote to me:

 >> we are "doing it right"... don't believe it? read our specs, expand your
 >> mind and learn that the world is larger than you originally thought it
 >> was ;) O:) ;)

 AS> Leaves only the question of why the new kid on the block (fidonet
 AS> which appeared some five years after UUCP brought us USENET and global
 AS> email) chose to do a Microsoft and use almost but not quite the
 AS> established standard,

the first thing is that at that time, microsoft wasn't known for pulling those
shitty games it is known for pulling today...

the second thing is that there was no "global" news or email... at least not
for anyone outside certain corporate and educational environments... RFCs were
not available to just anyone because just anyone didn't have access...

the third thing is that there was no "established standard"... there was this
standard and there was that standard and then there was another standard over
there... remember, the great thing about standards is that there are so many to
choose from! :)

 AS> oh and why the authors of the gateway software chose not to translate
 AS> sig separators on the way through given the first oddity.

fidonet is a hobby network...

[quote]
Very simple; it is a hobby, a non-commercial network of computer hobbiests
("hackers", in the older, original meaning) who want to play with, and find
uses for, packet switch networking. It is not a commercial venture in any way;
FidoNet is totally supported by it's users and sysops, and in many ways is
similar to ham radio, in that other than a few "stiff" rules, each sysop runs
their system in any way they please, for any reason they want.

FidoHist.Txt, 7/14/85, Tom Jennings, the founder of Fidonet
[/QUOTE]

as far as what the authors of the gateway software did? they likely didn't know
any better and just never thought about translating the tear lines... they may
not even have been in their teens when they came up with the idea and whipped
something up in their BASIC or possibly Turbo Pascal or Turbo C compilers...
heck, Adam Hudson was only 16 when he developed the Hudson Message Base format
in 1986... it was the best thing since sliced bread in BBS message base formats
at that time... Adam was also the creator of QuickBBS which numerous clones
were derived from... the point being that anyone could create something to do
the job that they or someone else (aka non-programmer) wanted or needed done...

PS: do you remember the Tiananmen Square incident back in '89? the news of that
reached the rest of the world via fidonet... not arpanet or "the internet" or
usenet... the news of that incident was broadcast to the rest of the world by
BBS operators in that area writing posts on their systems and sending them over
POTS connections to their friends, colleagues and peers elsewhere in the
world... it only took a phone call between two analogue modems... it worked
great until the chinese gov't shutdown the telcos... BBSes and fidonet were
'the' communication method used by a large majority of people in the world
until the internet was opened and easy public access lead to its explosion and
infestation by the masses ;)

so, what about let's get back to talking about the rPi, eh? ;)

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it
wrong...
... Misers aren't fun to live with but they make wonderful ancestors.

Re: Audio on a Model B?

You are doing it wrong. Learn that the world is larger than you
originally thought it was ;) O:) ;)

"The Usenet standard RFC 3676 specify that a signature block should be
displayed as plain text in a fixed-width font (no HTML, images, or other
rich text), and should be delimited from the body of the message by a
single line consisting of exactly two hyphens, followed by a space,
followed by the end of line (i.e., in C-notation: "-- \n").[3] This
latter prescription, which goes by many names, including "sig dashes",
"signature cut line", "sig-marker", "sig separator" and "signature
delimiter", allows software to automatically mark or remove the sig
block as the receiver desires."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block

If you are posting from a system that uses other conventions, then the
gateway from that system to usenet is broken.

Site Timeline