[AU] Donating Raspberry Pi

I would like to make a guilt free transition from a B and a B+ to two Model 2s. Is there a centralised way, preferably in Australia, to transfer superseded Pis to people who can make use of them and for whom the cost may be an obstacle?

Reply to
Gordon Levi

Here in Germany we have several aid organizations and especially caritative organizations. One can donate material things there. Sometimes organizations even call for computer stuff for schoools, children or aid purposes. Maybe there are similar things in Australia.

B. Alabay

--
http://www.thetrial.eu/
???????????????

I'm happy to assuage my consumer guilt by paying to send the superseded Pis to Europe although I would prefer to send them to a second or third world country if I can't dispose of them here. In any case, I need an address to send them to. You did not provide one.

I hope so. I posted because I wanted to know their location.

Reply to
Gordon Levi

Dana Sun, 15 Feb 2015 01:51:26 +1100, Gordon Levi napis'o:

Two students asked me how to get Pis. In case you do not find Anything in AU let me know.

Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic

Considering import duties in Brazil being about worst place, I would see if way of sending as $5 value gift to charity there as many folks there find getting anything Pi prhobitively expensive.

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

Brazil is fine but surely someone can provide a more precise location to send them to!

Reply to
Gordon Levi

I did not know Australia has nothing like Yellow Pages or something similar, sorry. And even no churches or caritative shops where one could ask in real life?

B. Alabay

--
http://www.thetrial.eu/
???????????????

Isn't there a branch of Freecycle in Australia?

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

The Yellow Pages has, so far, managed to survive but it does not yield any relevant results for the searches I have tried. I don't claim to be a Google guru and I would be delighted if someone can help me by using their Googling talents to find the location I am looking for. Can you?

Alas, Australia is an excessively "modern" society. So much so that almost all recycling shops will not accept anything electrical at all because they must safety test them and the cost is likely to be more than they can sell them for.

Reply to
Gordon Levi

In most jurisdictions that is for MAINS powered equipemnt and not battery operated or similar. I am sure they would say the same for a memory module and not understand safety requirements.

Eventually they will get to be has recognised safety certification symbols on them but not yet.

    PC Services
  Raspberry Pi Add-ons
 Timing Diagram Font
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

I'd call up a local elementary/middle school, tell them what I had, and ask for a science teacher to call me back. If the teachers don't want them, they'll know a student group that does.

If you're on Twitter, send a query to @Asher_Wolf.

Reply to
NO CARRIER

I'd call up a local elementary/middle school, tell them what I had, and ask for a science teacher to call me back. If the teachers don't want them, they'll know a student group that does.

If you're on Twitter, send a query to @Asher_Wolf.

Reply to
NO CARRIER

I recently met up with an old school pal of who had returned to the UK for a holiday from South Africa, where he had emigrated.

He was an Information Technology teacher at an elementary school, and I asked him what he taught the kids, expecting to hear about simple coding, and perhaps an autonomous robot.

But no, it seems he starts them off on Microsoft Word, and the clever ones can move on to Microsoft Excel and Access.

At this point I changed the subject.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Reply to
Graham.

I've got a contact in AU who is a sysadmin/techie at a school near Melbourne, forwarded your request to him and will post his reply if positive.

Reply to
Bjørn Steensrud

No, as I don?t know Australia, a not sooo small country :-)

That?s bad. That even sounds European, nearly German. I know these bureaucraZy, but the question is if such caritative (!) donation shops (if you have such things) may collect and test the stuff on their own. I can only speak for here ? here the testing of electronic devices that are donated is done by unemployed who work in such caritative shops, markets.

You might look for freestores. As I?ve just read there had been such an (anarchistic, well) freestore nearly fourty years ago (!) in Melbourne. You might ask Mission Australia. Maybe there is something in this

Australia ? you have too much odd and toxic creatures there :-)))

HTH

B. Alabay

--
http://www.thetrial.eu/
???????????????

Sorry - drew a blank there. If I were you I'd talk to local schools.

Reply to
Bjørn Steensrud

Unfortunately, that happens in the UK too, although the government have said they will introduce programming from age 5, I haven't seen any sign of it happening. An 8 year old relation has so far only learned powerpoint (which his parents are expected to have available at home so he can do his homework).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

"Power corrupts. PowerPoint corrupts absolutely."

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://home.comcast.net/~mjmahon
Reply to

Its probably doomed to failure: because far too many people who should know better think that writing an HTML page is 'coding' and teach it as such.

But again, what do you expect when the PM and the leader of the opposition know nothing practical: both studied pol sci at uni before 'working' as political special advisors or political 'research assistants' until they were considered politically reliable enough to be offered a safe seat and becoming MPs.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Are you not familiar with the term "Information Technology". That exactly is things like Word and Excel rather than coding or design.

--

Rick
Reply to