ARMv8.1?

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 11:54:43 -0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie declaimed the following:

Short or long grain, white or brown, or wild rice? Cooked or dry? Most rice cookers are based on volume dry -- and brown rice seems to cook up to a larger final volume (my cooker, as I recall, is rated for "10 cups" of white rice, but only "8 cups" brown)

Oh, and one cup dry expands to something like four serving cups...

Dennis Lee Bieber

Then you've been very lucky. Having spent many years doing domestic service work I've seen it a lot. But then again, I've also seen them deliberately broken off, and inserted so that open wires could be poked in the live and neutral.

--
W J G
Reply to

But VHS had the content that people wanted.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Now they just need to make the plugs safe to step on in bare feet.

Reply to
Rob Morley

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 22:13:12 -0400, rickman declaimed the following:

Especially since the short ton is also defined in "hundredweights" -- but in the US system where the hundredweight is just that: 100 lbs.

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 09:27:30 +0100, The Natural Philosopher declaimed the following:

365.2422 days to a Tropical (solar) year. 365.2425 for Gregorian (that's why we drop a leap day every four-hundred years). 365.2564 days for a Sidereal year. Only the Julian year is 365.25 exact... The Lunar year is 354.37 days.
Dennis Lee Bieber

Isn't that utter nonsense and misuse? Video tape was invented and made for recording and copying video. It was never meant to be a medium for selling prerecorded media.

This kind of nonsense never took hold for audio tapes, though it did later for audio cassettes. This too shows the degradation and fall from active and creative leisure time into pure passive consumerism. It all happened, or most of it, in my lifetime and it seems to be accelerating.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

Not when the TV is the bedroom TV and sits on top of chest of drawers so you can watch it in bed. Now the power strip hangs down the back supported by the cheap it of flex. Bastards!

Reply to
mm0fmf

Why are people obsessed with having an earth pin on power connectors. Most of the appliances don't have anything to ground! Why have an earth pin if the product has no metal parts on the outside? That's what double insulation is about.

--

Rick C
Reply to

It's worse than that. In the US what is served as a pint of beer varies anyway.

It was only recently that I realized a pint in the UK is noticeably larger than 16 oz. In the book 1984 there is a section where the protagonist (I can't recall any names) is having a discussion with an average bloke about the oppression of Big Brother. Seems the worst the average bloke can come up with is that the metric system Big Brother put in place means he either has to drink a smaller half liter glass and not be satisfied or a full liter glass and have to run to the bathroom! I never understood properly because a half liter is actually 10% bigger than a US pint. But now the truth is revealed!

I blame my inability to fully appreciate George Orwell on the British Imperial system!!!

--

Rick C
Reply to

How do you measure fuel consumption in square millimeters? Well, I guess I get that. It is volume divided by distance. So the fuel your auto uses is a square strip of fuel 0.245 mm on a side as long as your trip? Funny to picture in your mind. My truck would have a strip about

0.35 mm on a side. It it weren't burnt to CO2 and H2O that would add up pretty quickly on the highways. Gives you some perspective about how much we pollute our environment.
--

Rick C
Reply to

you will like our new pound coin it resembles the old "thrupeny bit" (both in shape & purchasing power :-( )

--
 dunham: You know how real numbers are constructed from rational
         numbers by equivalence classes of convergent sequences?

The trouble with using weights in cooking measurements is for dry goods, the weight will vary with the moisture absorbed from the air. We had to take precautions against this when weighing chemicals. On sensitive scales the weight would accumulate during the measurement. Just as in chemistry, rather than weight, what you really care about is molar quantity, not that your rice weight is going to vary noticeably as you weigh it.

Uh, my truck reports MPH... It also has a radio that talks to me when I'm lonely.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Yes, no, what? What do soccer players have to do with anything? Should there be a dozen? A baker's dozen?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Remember how some steam trains picked up water from troughs between the tracks? Imagine a trough of diesel or petrol alongside the road instead of having a fuel tank, your fuel consumption would determine the area of a scoop your vehicle needed to keep running ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I(f it is to BS it isn't like that Brass insert

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's also a quick way of plugging in a two pin European plug, better than some adaptors too but not as good as a decent adaptor.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

You must be very young. I remember the electric fire that tingled when we touched its metal case

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Highly significant question to which I have no answer at all

Who cares?

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep 6 litres/100km or 6 million cubic millimetres per 100 million millimetres then just do the division to get 0.06 square millimetres.

Yep that's exactly the picture I have.

I'd not thought of it that way, nice point.