ARMv8.1?

Reminds me of Milton Jones' joke about taking a Ginsters to Liverpool, Manchester, Swindon and Glasgow because his maths teacher told him to take Pi to four dismal places.

Reply to
Gareth's Downstairs Computer

As far as I know it's harmonised enough. Everywhere and in all recommended standards the thousands separator ought to be a (thin) space and nothing but. (The exception are cheques and other places needing to be made tamper-proof.) If people adhered to that the decimal separator could be anything without creating ambiguity. But since when have people ever adhered to standards except those implemented by Microsoft defaults, whether correctly or not?

Other things have also been standardized long ago, like the date (ISO) or the explicitly forbidden old German abbreviations qm and cbm for area and volume. And who are consistently the worst offenders of all? Public administrations, who else.

At least you can have some fun with them that way. For many years all my municipal tax bills were individually hand corrected before sending. On nearly all my payments the Kassenzeichen (reference) is given as unleserlich (illegible) because they print them as one non-grouped jumble of ten digits or more. It keeps them busy with sending out reminders and trying to collect overdue charges.

Axel

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

India with the crore/lakh comes to mind, but they have three digits at the end, and then groups of two (or very occasionally four, when they have many crore).

And they use the point, not the comma.

But numbering systems never cease to have surprises.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad

That doesn't make them any less wrong.

---druck

druck

If not an exact number, more digits = higher precision, noughts or not (probably still bullshit in this case, though, even if it is a approximation/measurement).

Reply to
A. Dumas

Not true. I thank them every day just for forcing everyone to use USB for charging almost everything.

Reply to
Gordon Levi

The EU did that? Wow!

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Most Brits are totally ignorant of what the EU does which is why so many voted Leave

Reply to
Bob Martin

Have you tried it? How does it work?

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

I can assure you that ignorance extends to the whole of Europe.

Otherwise the EU would not exist.

I am so glad they invented the Internet and forced everyone to use TCP/IP, made round wheels the global standard (before insisting on cultural diversity as evinced by square wheels), decided to harmonise everything except culture, power generation and moralities, which were to be as diverse as possible, and whilst creating a United Europe, allowed as many foreign cultures to settle in it so as to completely fragment and disunite it....

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably pretty professional, they're a good company, but not (yet) tailored to everything on the RPi. E.g. on that page, they warn about enabling graphics hardware acceleration.

Reply to
A. Dumas

1) Apple 2) Did the EU have anything to do with everyone else standardising or was it a simple case of needing to interface with a computer which guided the decision.
--
Diplomacy is to do and say, the nastiest thing in the nicest way.
		-- Balfour

A. Dumas

Disagree. The old round concentric power plugs came in several sizes and voltages (which often makes more sense than up- and downconverting from and to 5 V several times), but they easily lasted and last twenty years or more. How many cycles is microUSB specified for? Will they last the warrenty period? Probably just. The plug already tends to just drop out of my current phone after only year.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to
Axel Berger

My toshiba laptop has failed on a USB port *and* a concentric power socket in under 18 months :-)

..I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Right up until the moment you realise that the power supply you just plugged in runs at 24V not the 5V your expensive doorstop (that was once a phone) wanted. It is very handy knowing that I can plug just about anything (other than an Apple product) into just about any handy charger and expect it to work with the worst problem being slow charging.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Which was exactly the problem. Not only is there no agreement on the voltage of the various sizes of power plug, there isn't even one for polarity. Pin-positive seems more common, but it's definitely not something you can rely on. Plug the wrong charger in, and your device may well die.

Universal USB charging is only half there, though. Different devices have different charging current requirements, and there are various manufacturer specific extensions which allow drawing more power than the USB spec allows for, e.g. by bumping the supplied voltage on request from the device. At least the various modes seem to be fail-safe, though: I've never had a device die from using the wrong USB brick.

And even though it's fairly easy to buy a third-party charger which supports most of the likely manufacturer charging modes, that doesn't stop every device shipping with a brand new charger which will often just get chucked in the cupboard.

--
Cheers,
John

I tried the pre-release a few months ago. Worked fine but software selection was rather limited so I couldn't do much.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

Not compulsory (which is why apple are different), probably a direction the phone manufactures were heading in any way (especially as most are non- European and mobile phones are a world wide market).

this strikes me as a classic example of the EU wasting money drawing up documents that are simply a waste of time, ink, paper & electrons rather than achieving anything use-full.

I accept there are things the EU has done that are actually useful but can you name one?

--
I'll never get off this planet.
		-- Luke Skywalker

& it is due to be superseded by USB-C soon anyway.
--
love, v.:
	I'll let you play with my life if you'll let me play with yours.