ARM64

Setting aside the abusive and somewhat infantile interjections from (too) many quarters, it remains that my interest in the Pi 3 is as a vehicle for low-level systems programming on a 64 bit architecture.

Is anyone else here inspired excitedly by such things, just as we were with our naked PDPs back inthe 1970s?

One such challenge on the PDP11-20 was to write a program that left ALL of memory cleared (including the last instruction to be executed) and with all the registers cleared.

Reply to
gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339

If you haven't looked at the Beagle Bone, it is also a great vehicle, and has a lot more I/O. I've used it in some projects with great success. The Beagle Bone Green has the video output removed, and is a lot cheaper. All of the "Bones" have two 200 MHz 32-bit RISC microcontrollers they call "PRU"s (Programmable Real Time Units) that have high-speed direct I/O pins. So, you can have 5 ns interaction with a small set of I/O pins. I emulated an old DMA card with it, sending pixels to a laser photoplotter every 5 us.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson