apt-get update, no Release file?

On 09/14/18, bob prohaska said the following... bp> In running apt-get update the session ended with bp> Reading package lists... Done bp> E: The repository '

stretch bp> Release' does no longer have a Release file.

I just did apt-get update and had now problems :)

root@p-1-1:/root# apt-get update Get:1

stretch InRelease [15.0 kB] Get:2
stretch InRelease [25.3 kB] Hit:3
stretch InRelease Get:4
stretch/main armhf Packages [11.7 MB] Get:5
stretch/main armhf Packages [175 kB] Get:6
stretch/ui armhf Packages [34.3 kB] Fetched 11.9 MB in 16s (742 kB/s) Reading package lists... Done

...deon

Reply to
Deon George

On 09/14/18, bob prohaska said the following... bp> Anybody got a hint what I might be doing wrong? My net connection is very bp> slow but is up and running. Could it be a speed issue?

Try

$ rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/* $ apt-get clean $ apt-get update

...deon

Reply to
Deon George

In running apt-get update the session ended with Reading package lists... Done E: The repository '

stretch Release' does no longer have a Release file. N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default. N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Looks like distribution security is being tightened. The man page seems directed at archive administrators, what should end users do to make a normal update of Linux raspberrypi 4.14.62-v7+ #1134 SMP Tue Aug 14 17:10:10 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Hmm, that's interesting.

Anybody got a hint what I might be doing wrong? My net connection is very slow but is up and running. Could it be a speed issue?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Sounds like you have been redireceted to a site coded by non English speakers.

All your bases are belong to us.

--
Any fool can believe in principles -  and most of them do!
Reply to

Ok, maybe 8-)

If I'm not mistaken, most of the developers of Raspbian are non-native English speakers.

More to the point, re-running apt-get update/grade the next day completed without errors. The internet connection was a little faster at the time.

It looks as if something is interfering with the wifi throughput, but it seems to affect only the Pi. I just checked with a Mac and got 5.7 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up. That's all my service supplies. On the Pi, speedof.me reports 2.25 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up. It was 10% of that yesterday before the upgrade attempt.

Ping times to the wireless access point are around 5 ms, which seems a bit slow. Are there any troubleshooting tools in Raspbian Stretch that might help sort out the problem? A bunch of new WiFi access points have popped up in the neighborhood, interference is a possibility.

One other oddity: When mousing over the WiFi icon in the main menu bar the correct WAP is indicated, and obviously working. If I click on the WiFi icon, the popup sometimes says "no wireless interfaces found" and somtimes reports the correct access point. IIRC clicking on the icon used to bring up some sort of control panel. Am I mistaken?

uname -a reports Linux raspberrypi 4.14.69-v7+ #1141 SMP Mon Sep 10 15:26:29 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Late last afternoon/early evening my weekly update failed completely with "Network unavailable" until I rebooted the RPi (an early 512MB B). After this it upgraded itself with no further problems.

I'm running stretch. This is the first time I've seen this problem, which is a bit odd seeing I'd had no problem logging in via ssh to run the update and I quickly established that the RPi could only see systems on my LAN and the gateway, but nothing outside it. In case you're wondering, I did NOT restart my router since everything else on my LAN could see external systems. Since a new kernel was installed last night, and not all that long since the last kernel upgrade, I'm wondering if this was due to a bug introduced with the previous kernel.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Perhaps. I think more likely a temporary glitch of the repo (or the mirror to which you were connecting). It happens. Not often, though.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Yes, I thought that too, and even gave them an hour or so to get sorted out. Then I finally realised [1] that this wasn't restricted to the RPi mothership, applied to other external sites as well, all of these being accessable to my other systems, which run Fedora28.

[1] I looked more carefully at the output from my network checking script. I use this to check network access. There is a (sometimes slightly mutated) copy on every host on my LAN. It pings:

- my ADSL router

- the house server (which houses my local DNS)

- another local host that's likely to be on (only some versions do this)

- my ISP's mail server

- both the NNTP servers I use

- both my externally hosted websites

- Avbrief (aviation weather forecast source)

- my gliding club mail server

once each, reporting response or failure for each of the target hosts.

Last night all my Fedora hosts successfully pinged all sites but on the the RPi the script only pinged the first two and quit with a NETWORK UNAVAILABLE error.

After the reboot the RPi correctly reported that all hosts were accessible.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Ah ok.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Here are the results of some internal ping tests on my network:

From wireless Pi to wired host:

10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9015ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.227/4.651/4.858/0.172 ms

From wired host to wireless Pi

11 packets transmitted, 11 packets received, 0.0% packet loss round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.242/5.172/6.616/0.601 ms

From wired host to wired host:

5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0.0% packet loss round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.840/1.012/1.669/0.329 ms

The wired hosts are Pi2 running FreeBSD, the wireless Pi is a 3 running Linux raspberrypi 4.14.69-v7+ #1141 SMP Mon Sep 10 15:26:29 BST 2018

A test with speedof.me on the wireless Pi shows 2.25 Mbps down,

900 kbps up, which is less than half of what is expected. An attempt to visit YouTube brings up an array of grey fields corresponding to the thumbnails on the landing page and a title bar with "YouTube" and a red icon, but no links and no sign the page is still loading. Clicking the reload icon causes no change.

Is there any software for the Pi that can report things like collisions and interference on the wireless link?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska