apt-get update, no Release file?

In running apt-get update the session ended with
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian stretch Release' does no longer have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Looks like distribution security is being tightened. The man page seems
directed at archive administrators, what should end users do to make a
normal update of
Linux raspberrypi 4.14.62-v7+ #1134 SMP Tue Aug 14 17:10:10 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: apt-get update, no Release file?
On 09/14/18, bob prohaska said the following...
 bp> In running apt-get update the session ended with
 bp> Reading package lists... Done
 bp> E: The repository 'http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian stretch
 bp> Release' does no longer have a Release file.

I just did apt-get update and had now problems :)

root@p-1-1:/root# apt-get update
Get:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian stretch InRelease [15.0 kB]
Get:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian stretch InRelease [25.3 kB]
Hit:3 https://download.docker.com/linux/raspbian stretch InRelease
Get:4 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian stretch/main armhf Packages
[11.7 MB]
Get:5 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian stretch/main armhf Packages [175
kB]
Get:6 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian stretch/ui armhf Packages [34.3
kB]
Fetched 11.9 MB in 16s (742 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done

...deon

Re: apt-get update, no Release file?

Hmm, that's interesting.

Anybody got a hint what I might be doing wrong? My net connection is very
slow but is up and running. Could it be a speed issue?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Re: apt-get update, no Release file?
On 09/14/18, bob prohaska said the following...
 bp> Anybody got a hint what I might be doing wrong? My net connection is very
 bp> slow but is up and running. Could it be a speed issue?

Try

$ rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
$ apt-get clean
$ apt-get update

...deon

Re: apt-get update, no Release file?

Sounds like you have been redireceted to a site coded by non English
speakers.

All your bases are belong to us.

--
Any fool can believe in principles -  and most of them do!

Re: apt-get update, no Release file?
Ok, maybe 8-)

If I'm not mistaken, most of the developers of Raspbian are non-native
English speakers.

More to the point, re-running apt-get update/grade the next day completed
without errors. The internet connection was a little faster at the time.

It looks as if something is interfering with the wifi throughput, but it
seems to affect only the Pi. I just checked with a Mac and got 5.7 Mbps
down, 1 Mbps up. That's all my service supplies. On the Pi, speedof.me
reports 2.25 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up. It was 10% of that yesterday before
the upgrade attempt.

Ping times to the wireless access point are around 5 ms, which seems
a bit slow. Are there any troubleshooting tools in Raspbian Stretch
that might help sort out the problem? A bunch of new WiFi access points
have popped up in the neighborhood, interference is a possibility.

One other oddity: When mousing over the WiFi icon in the main menu bar
the correct WAP is indicated, and obviously working. If I click on the
WiFi icon, the popup sometimes says "no wireless interfaces found" and
somtimes reports the correct access point. IIRC clicking on the icon
used to bring up some sort of control panel. Am I mistaken?

uname -a reports
Linux raspberrypi 4.14.69-v7+ #1141 SMP Mon Sep 10 15:26:29 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: apt-get update, no Release file?

Late last afternoon/early evening my weekly update failed completely with
"Network unavailable" until I rebooted the RPi (an early 512MB B). After
this it upgraded itself with no further problems.

I'm running stretch. This is the first time I've seen this problem, which
is a bit odd seeing I'd had no problem logging in via ssh to run the
update and I quickly established that the RPi could only see systems on
my LAN and the gateway, but nothing outside it. In case you're wondering,
I did NOT restart my router since everything else on my LAN could see
external systems. Since a new kernel was installed last night, and not
all that long since the last kernel upgrade, I'm wondering if this was
due to a bug introduced with the previous kernel.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: apt-get update, no Release file?

Perhaps. I think more likely a temporary glitch of the repo (or the
mirror to which you were connecting). It happens. Not often, though.

Re: apt-get update, no Release file?

Yes, I thought that too, and even gave them an hour or so to get sorted
out. Then I finally realised [1] that this wasn't restricted to the RPi
mothership, applied to other external sites as well, all of these being
accessable to my other systems, which run Fedora28.

[1] I looked more carefully at the output from my network checking
script. I use this to check network access. There is a (sometimes
slightly mutated) copy on every host on my LAN. It pings:

- my ADSL router

- the house server (which houses my local DNS)

- another local host that's likely to be on (only some versions do this)

- my ISP's mail server

- both the NNTP servers I use

- both my externally hosted websites

- Avbrief (aviation weather forecast source)

- my gliding club mail server

once each, reporting response or failure for each of the target hosts.

Last night all my Fedora hosts successfully pinged all sites but on the
the RPi the script only pinged the first two and quit with a NETWORK
UNAVAILABLE error.

After the reboot the RPi correctly reported that all hosts were
accessible.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: apt-get update, no Release file?

Ah ok.

Re: apt-get update, no Release file?

Here are the results of some internal ping tests on my network:

From wireless Pi to wired host:

10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9015ms

From wired host to wireless Pi
11 packets transmitted, 11 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.242/5.172/6.616/0.601 ms

From wired host to wired host:
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.840/1.012/1.669/0.329 ms

The wired hosts are Pi2 running FreeBSD, the wireless Pi is a 3 running
Linux raspberrypi 4.14.69-v7+ #1141 SMP Mon Sep 10 15:26:29 BST 2018

A test with speedof.me on the wireless Pi shows 2.25 Mbps down,
900 kbps up, which is less than half of what is expected. An attempt
to visit YouTube brings up an array of grey fields corresponding
to the thumbnails on the landing page and a title bar with "YouTube"
and a red icon, but no links and no sign the page is still loading.
Clicking the reload icon causes no change.

Is there any software for the Pi that can report things like collisions
and interference on the wireless link?

Thanks for reading!

bob prohaska

Site Timeline