Apple PI

Hi Guys was wondering has anyone tried the apple pi install with mac9.2 software? Also How do you get a Raspberry pi 3 b+ to boot with a a usb drive?

1 last question can the above pi run 32 bit software? thxs Sam
Reply to
Datalus

Thanks for the reply Dennis, I cant seem to find the web page that I saw last month may have been taken down I did find this youtube video

Let me give you a idea of what I want to do. I really want to run a mac os package and run a BBS. I want to be different and gain some knowledge and maybe do more to help with PI options Thanks Sam

Reply to
Datalus

On Tue, 29 May 2018 07:37:31 +1200, snipped-for-privacy@f120.n23.z1.binkp.net (Datalus) declaimed the following:

It would help to provide a link to what you are proposing... The only thing I found (after skipping over the "ApplePi DAC", "Apple Pi Mead", and Washington Apple Pi Mac user's group)...

ARM processors are a totally different architecture, so binaries won't work (iOS, OTOH, likely IS running on ARM, so might be an option).

FreeBSD (part of the core of current Mac OS) however is a possibility

-- you just don't get the Apple GUI.

The last potential route is to run a processor virtualization (QEMU) configured to look like a Macintosh.

While both RPi-3 models are 64-bit quad-core processors, the NOOBS/Raspbian release is still only 32-bit for compatibility with earlier RPi models (I do wish the foundation would consider packaging a 64-bit version as an optional secondary download [complete download, not something that gets downloaded during NOOBS start-up -- I want to do ONE download and write to multiple SD cards])

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Tue, 29 May 2018 12:25:16 +1200, snipped-for-privacy@f120.n23.z1.binkp.net (Datalus) declaimed the following:

If the package is source-code, it might build under FreeBSD.

Even though based on FreeBSD, Apple OS is still proprietary, and not natively available for ARM processors. QEMU, with a lot of configuration, might run on an ARM, and be able to emulate the Apple hardware, thereby allowing Apple OS to be run on the emulated system.

The situation is slightly different in the M$ Windows world. M$ does produce a version of Win10 for ARM processors, which includes the emulation of the Intel processor architecture.

Dennis Lee Bieber

A. Dumas

QEMU does run on an RPi 2B - I'm using it to host a copy of the PICAXE Basic compiler on one. It had to have a few patches because the version that got ported didn't support one or two obscure instructions the compiler needed - that's the limit of what I know about its setup, though.

I installed it by following PICAXE's instructions. It compiles programs and loads them into a PICAXE 14M02 chip via a USBserial adapter cable, where they run successfully.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

IMHO, running an emulator like SheepShaver or mini vMac on a Raspberry Pi is more for fun than for any real practical use. It will never be as stable as native Pi software.

Save the emulators for playing those old, old games from the '80s.

--
chrispam1@me.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies may be lost.
You're better off replying to this newsgroup.

On Tue, 29 May 2018 20:23:56 +0000 (UTC), Chris Schram declaimed the following:

Or mainframes and super-minis:

(Side note: my last employer was running OpenVMS in an emulator on a Windows Server -- it replaced the VAXes that had been used for building the OFP for a series of airliners; it was easier to validate that the emulated VAX was producing the identical object code from the cross-compiler [yes, VAX compiling for a 68040] then it would have been to validate a newer Ada cross-development toolchain)

Dennis Lee Bieber